RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Military / Veteran RVing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-14-2018, 08:50 PM   #1

Disabled veterans with service animals RV parks

Hello all, Iím having a hard time with RV parks with my service dog. I show and even give them his card and they still give me a VERY hard time about my service animal. They all say ďno, heís a pit.Ē I took him to several vets and they all say he does have characteristics of a pit bull dog but thereís no way to tell for sure without bloodwork. How can these places try and keep me from staying there if I prove heís my service animal? Anyone please advise. May we have some lawyers in here that wouldnít mind speaking out. RV is my life due to my job working on the pipeline.

Jeff6146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2018, 08:56 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff6146 View Post
Hello all, Iím having a hard time with RV parks with my service dog. I show and even give them his card and they still give me a VERY hard time about my service animal. They all say ďno, heís a pit.Ē I took him to several vets and they all say he does have characteristics of a pit bull dog but thereís no way to tell for sure without bloodwork. How can these places try and keep me from staying there if I prove heís my service animal? Anyone please advise. May we have some lawyers in here that wouldnít mind speaking out. RV is my life due to my job working on the pipeline.
Service dog or support dog?

Old 11-14-2018, 08:57 PM   #3

Service is what he is registered as
Old 11-14-2018, 09:01 PM   #4

Pit Bulls, German Shepherds and the like are sometimes not welcome at RV parks. These parks have the right to ban dogs if they are deemed to be dangerous. Can't you get something other than a Pit?
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 09:04 PM   #5

No. As far as I was told heís not a pit. Heís definitely mixed. And heís trained already why would I get a different dog. So I should just shoot him and try again. Is that what your saying?
Old 11-14-2018, 09:10 PM   #6

I’m no lawyer, but if he’s certified, the ADA applies.

Invoking it involves raising a stink, however. There’s the law, and then there’s reality.
RiverBurt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 09:13 PM   #7

Iíve contacted the police before and was told to go to the Prosecuting attorneys office for the city Iím in. If thatís the only option I have then Iíll just have to keep doing that. Maybe I just need to write my congressman.
Old 11-14-2018, 09:17 PM   #8

V3600 is incorrect. If your dog is in-fact a service dog (not a emotional support dog or other support dog), the RV park cannot deny you admittance, regardless of the breed.
Old 11-14-2018, 09:18 PM   #9

https://www.ada.gov/service_animals_2010.htm
Old 11-14-2018, 09:19 PM   #10

I would recommend doing both.

My bet is it’s other campers raising the issue. The campground owners/managers have to take a stand on your behalf. Getting called by lawyers and congressional staffers should motivate them.

I’m not disabled, but my wife is. Standing up for her rights is an ongoing project.
Old 11-14-2018, 09:22 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverBurt View Post
I would recommend doing both.

My bet is itís other campers raising the issue. The campground owners/managers have to take a stand on your behalf. Getting called by lawyers and congressional staffers should motivate them.

Iím not disabled, but my wife is. Standing up for her rights is an ongoing project.

Thank you. I think thatís a good idea. They should do something, after all election time is right around the corner.
Old 11-14-2018, 09:26 PM   #12

Another number to call, possibly even more effective, is the local TV news. :-)
Old 11-14-2018, 10:23 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
This is a topic thats highly abused by RVer's in particular. For thirty five bucks on Ebay you can get vests, certificates, cards, whatever. Its a shame that these mostly women are scamming the system with their emotional support lap dogs. Gives a bad rep to folks with the real deal.
Most business are afraid to asked them for proof as the ADA has no certification standards.
The airlines have finally stepped up to halt the fraud they were perpetrating.
On the subject of pits being trained service dogs, I know two vets that have pit breed service animals.
Don't get me started on Handicap RVer's. With their bikes, kayaks, portable gensets they lug around. Climbing on theirs rig roofs is my favorite.
Handicap sites are for access to the bathhouse. But they don't need it and never use it.
Had one that was really a nasty camper to be around. They made a video of his daily actives and sent it to the VA and SS. Had his vehicle tags in it. Don't know what happen as didn't see him the next winter.
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 11:13 PM   #14

Insurance is what places the BAN on aggressive breed dogs
CG owners ----Catch 22
Insurance gets cancelled or they don't allow dogs on the aggressive breed list
Pit Bull...Pit Bull/Mix is on the list

OP.....
What 'tasks' does your Service Dog preform for you?
You state " RV is my life due to my job working on the pipeline"

Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
disabled, led, service