RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Military / Veteran RVing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-23-2019, 06:55 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
[moderator edit] on shingle is a staple of the military breakfast

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2019, 07:03 AM   #16

We have SOS every couple weeks or so. It's made pretty much as described in post #10. Sometimes it's made with ground sausage, hamburger or smoked chipped beef. If we are having it for breakfast we usually have it on buttered toast. My real preference is to pour it over a mound of mashed potatoes with a vegetable on the side at dinner time.
Hmmm, I think I just planned tonight's meal.
Lynn

Old 11-23-2019, 09:44 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by inlineskater View Post
I was one of those twigits because I had to account for the stuff. Storekeeper 2nd class. Yes I was on your ship.

I remember.........

And how many times did you venture alone down into one of the 'holes' ?
Where you ever 'captured' and became an 'honorary' snipe?
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 11:45 AM   #18

Yum

While in basic training at Lackland in 1963, going down the chow line I first saw SOS and wondered how people could eat that disgusting looking stuff. Fast forward a year at midnight chow one night at England AFB I decided to try it out. OMG, i have missed a whole year of not having this stuff.

Then I was hooked. Two biscuits split open, or 2-3 pieces of toast w/SOS on top with two eggs over easy on top of that.

After years of trying to make it like I remembered my ex finally nailed it.

Then a divorce.
2003 Country Coach Magna Resort #6253
2014 FJ Cruiser
505 KittyKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 12:07 PM   #19
WVI

Oh man...what a memory. Our Chow Hall on Ft. Ord always had it. I always had it over eggs!
WVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 12:12 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Great memories of SOS, etc. Did the dish originate as a military staple or did it come from the civilian side?
Old 11-23-2019, 12:47 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traildust View Post
My first meal in Navy boot camp was sos and I can still hear my Company Commander (DI for none Navy folks) telling us to get use to it. I love biscuits and gravy, something totally different than sos. I was born and raised in the South so biscuits and gravy were a common meal, also love hog jawl and grits.
I agree. I grew up in the north. SOS was was easy to make and cheap. I can make it but choose not to.

Never had SOS in the navy because there was always a choice.

DW grew up south. After the children left home, they would get biscuits and gravy fedex to them on their birthday. After DW passed I tried making it for them and failed.

I think making 'good' biscuits and gravy is an art form after watching a few with the gift.
Old 11-23-2019, 12:50 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by puttin View Post
Great memories of SOS, etc. Did the dish originate as a military staple or did it come from the civilian side?

Seems the first printed recipe was in a 1910 edition of the “Manual for Army Cooks”

But 'chipped beef' like jerky has been around since the early 1800s, when the first wave of European immigrants brought their own cultures and culinary influences to the New World.

The sauce (milk gray) has German & French history.

So ......looks like a American concoction taking a little of this and a little of that from immigrants and making it our own
Old 11-23-2019, 01:28 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by 505 KittyKat View Post
While in basic training at Lackland in 1963, going down the chow line I first saw SOS and wondered how people could eat that disgusting looking stuff. Fast forward a year at midnight chow one night at England AFB I decided to try it out. OMG, i have missed a whole year of not having this stuff.

Then I was hooked. Two biscuits split open, or 2-3 pieces of toast w/SOS on top with two eggs over easy on top of that.

After years of trying to make it like I remembered my ex finally nailed it.

Then a divorce.
I was at Lackland in July 63. I gained 10 lbs in 4 weeks, then came field training. I was so tired after a day of field training I lived on chocolate milk for that week. Weighed 140 when I arrived and 140 when I left. My flight was half California and half Texas. The California kids did not know what SOS was and thought it was disgusting, the Texas kids shoveled it down.

My dad was a crypto tech in the USAF and loved to cook. I was introduced to SOS at a very early age. Easy to make and cheep. Which is good when you are raising 6 kids. Good memories.
redcolorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 01:38 PM   #24

And I seem to remember "bloody SOS" that had tomatoes somehow incorporated into the gravy, or am I dreaming? I actually liked both kinds, but what choice did we have? Haven't had it for years, but....

Don't know much about the "snipe" thing as I was mostly on the flight/hanger decks of the Essex as a "nose picker" in VS-39. Perhaps I missed out on something good? :-O

I do remember all the powdered milk, eggs and "bug juice" after being out for a week or so. Back then I loved chocolate milk and my first time out at sea after a week or so I remember getting a pint of it and pretty much "chug a lugging" it and to my dismay discovering at the end that it was spoiled. Spoiled chocolate milk is the worst, I never made that mistake again.

Steve

1994 30' Monaco Dynasty, 5.9 230 HP Cummins, MD 3060, 1992 Geo Tracker.
dix39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 01:43 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post

So ......looks like a American concoction taking a little of this and a little of that from immigrants and making it our own
Went to a very popular 'Chicago style' restaurant in Hong Kong. In the US it would be German/Polish. Ordered my favorite Sunday dinner at my grandparents. It was perfect.

I got out of the navy about the time our goverment was telling us how to eat. Coffee bad, eggs bad, fat bad, butter bad ect.

The four basic food groups for a sailor were caffeine, salt, fat, and ethanol.

How to make food taste good? Fry it in bacon grease.
Old 11-23-2019, 01:49 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by dix39 View Post
And I seem to remember "bloody SOS" that had tomatoes somehow incorporated into the gravy, or am I dreaming?

Don't know much about the "snipe" thing as I was mostly on the flight/hanger decks of the Essex as a "nose picker" in VS-39. Perhaps I missed out on something good? :-O

Steve

Aviation Machinist Mate would be classified as a 'fresh air snipe'
Machinsit Mates and Boiler Technicians were "snipes".....lived/worked below decks in the 'holes' (engine/boiler rooms)

As for the bloody SOS????
Maybe you were having Bloody Marys and spilled some.....
Old 11-23-2019, 04:43 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlorlomoski View Post
Many was the long winter night when I was stationed at Loring AFB in northern Maine (long since closed) that a healthy serving of SOS from the dining hall got me through -25 degree nights standing guard on an alert B 52.
so you were an 811?(?), i was an 812 and humped a few B-57, KC-135, phantoms and aardvarks when security was tight.

I loved SOS, especially on mids ... but havenít had it since I got out. I do make okie sausage gravy a couple of times a year ... yum!
Radacravitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 11:30 PM   #28

Well, you got the "nose picker" thing figured out right, I guess I was a "snipe" of sorts and didn't know it. I have a good friend in WV who think was a Machinist Mate. I'll have to talk with him about it when we go back this summer.

Thanks for expanding my knowledge base.

Steve

1994 30' Monaco Dynasty, 5.9 230 HP Cummins, MD 3060, 1992 Geo Tracker.
dix39 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
breakfast, coffee, cooking, food, gravy, sos