RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Military / Veteran RVing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-02-2019, 12:22 AM   #57

sos

Dogman,
Being an old USAF SPS K9 handler and trainer I sure remember my mid night chow hall sos being spread all over everything on my plate. Being stationed in a few cold climates like Loring AFB in Me and in Plattsburgh AFB in NY and the nasty winters there the sos was about the only thing that would warm you up inside real fast.
When I got my orders to SEA and Guam
i continued with a breakfast mid night chow hall trip just about every day..I was hooked upon the feeling of internal bliss.
Today, almost 50 years later I still stuff myself with sos whenever I see it on a menu. The bride refuses to make it for me as she thinks it's a stupid meal from a military past experience of sorts, me, I think she has no idea how to make it. I can tell you that the company Libby makes a good canned sos and worth a try!
Nothing better than midnight chow of sos...even my Sentry and Patrol Dogs liked it. The simple things that can please a combat veteran and his dogs!
< Fish the Piper K-9 <

Piper K9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2019, 09:26 AM   #58

I was not in the service, BUT, my mom and dad had six kids! We had SOS often because it was cheap!! Mom used chipped beef and white sauce on bread or potatoes. My dad was in the army in the 40's so I am assuming that is where we got the idea! I was not a real fan, but then I was a little picky kid! Haven't had it since about 1960's. I have had biscuits and gravy, which is a whole "nuther" thing. THAT is good!!!

pmaen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 10:26 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by david2385 View Post
I went into boot camp in 1972 in good shape playing sports at 150 pounds. We didn’t have a lot to eat at home. Came out of boot camp at 175 lbs eating 3 squares a day and SOS. Everyone disliked the food but me. It was some of the best food I had ever had.
I enlisted in '58, but otherwise the same. I always wondered how a person could gain weight doing all the things we had to do and the hours we spent awake. I guess SOS was a part of that. I'm thinking you nailed it.

Waking up to the sound of a broomstick rotating around in an empty corrugated metal trash can sure got my attention.

Steve

1994 30' Monaco Dynasty, 5.9 230 HP Cummins, MD 3060, 1992 Geo Tracker.
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 11:52 AM   #60

BoJ's

When in the south, there's only one place to stop.

Bojangles!
RangerFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 12:32 PM   #61

Best SOS on the planet was at RAF Mildenhall O club!
Old 12-02-2019, 01:21 PM   #62

Both of my parents were in WWII and both loved SOS. Mom made a simple white sauces and tossed in finely shredded chipped beef and let it cook down a bit before ladling it over almost burnt toast.

HEAVEN.
Old 12-02-2019, 04:36 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by 505 KittyKat View Post
While in basic training at Lackland in 1963, going down the chow line I first saw SOS and wondered how people could eat that disgusting looking stuff. Fast forward a year at midnight chow one night at England AFB I decided to try it out. OMG, i have missed a whole year of not having this stuff.

Then I was hooked. Two biscuits split open, or 2-3 pieces of toast w/SOS on top with two eggs over easy on top of that.

After years of trying to make it like I remembered my ex finally nailed it.

Then a divorce.
Lackland 1962 for me. I love the "stuff" to this day !!
old woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 09:45 PM   #64

Wow this brings back some memories! Mornings of SOS and guys complaining. I rather liked it, but thought it was salty, that from a guy that likes salty food. It had to be from the chipped beef. Dang, now I’m going to have to find some!
MSGDLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 09:33 PM   #65
WVI

Well, I couldn't resist...found some dried beef at the store Tuesday and made SOS this am...It was GOOD.
WVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 09:54 PM   #66

Foretravel Owners Club
Dad was ww2 SeaBees.. called it chipped foreskin on a shingle...

Now for B & G.. Campbell's make a pork sausage gravy in a can..Not bad at all.. and not over the top on extra seasonings.. Fred Meyer or Kroger has it.
Pillsbury makes "grand" biscuits in a re-seal able bag.. 22 minutes @ 350 deg in your gas oven.. (buy the "toaster oven baking set (use the little cookie sheet)
(Note..Cut down to size a Hamilton-Beach silicone baking mat to fit..no stickies/no burned bottoms
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 01:54 PM   #67

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My dad, a WWII vet, defined the acronym and described the dish before I entered boot camp in 1977. It sounded horrible. I didnít get up the nerve to try SOS until a few months later during midnight chow at Lowry AFB. It stood me well through dozens of PCS and TDY assignments around the world. Now, 42 years later, I still crave it.

Bob Evans serves it on their sunshine skillet, and I have it often.

cyclist922 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
breakfast, coffee, cooking, food, gravy, sos