Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Military / Veteran RVing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-10-2020, 03:10 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL420 View Post
Oh Lord. Pretty soon somebody will say they like it with okra.[emoji13]

Only if that okra is FRIED and served with Hot Sauce

None of that 'boiled snot'
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2020, 04:43 AM   #86

Woke up in Houston @ 0400 as did DW. Started checking tablet as it is a good sedative. Came across this continuing thread & read some to her (she was in The Army & is well acquainted with the topic.....& hates it). She reminded me of her dad’s SOS experience.

He was stationed at Ft D A Russell in Marfa, TX in the 30’s. He had been home in East TX on leave & hitchiked back to post, catching ride on the back of a motorcycle from Alto, TX (some 600 miles in today’s mileages). He got to post just in time for breakfast, not having eaten during the ride & starving. He ate 4 plates of SOS before he remembered to reach for the tobasco sauce.

His moral to his son before he entered service during the Vietnam era was that anything in the Army’s menu was edible with the right amount of tobasco sauce.

To this day we have a bottle of the stuff in our fridge. Never had to use it.
gwalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 10:30 AM   #87

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Only if that okra is FRIED and served with Hot Sauce

None of that 'boiled snot'
+1
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 10:51 AM   #88

To me, even fried okra is guilty. Guilty by association.
I have never been able to put that " boiled snot" in my mouth without it immediately exiting in the opposite direction.
My folks tried repeatedly before finally realizing I had no control over it and gave up trying to force me to eat it.
Among the many things I was taught being raised in a southern household was to always eat what the hosts put on my plate. I lived in fear for years of being invited to someone's home and being served okra.
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 11:03 AM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL420 View Post
To me, even fried okra is guilty. Guilty by association.
I have never been able to put that " boiled snot" in my mouth without it immediately exiting in the opposite direction.
My folks tried repeatedly before finally realizing I had no control over it and gave up trying to force me to eat it.
Among the many things I was taught being raised in a southern household was to always eat what the hosts put on my plate. I lived in fear for years of being invited to someone's home and being served okra.

The offering of FOOD is an Honor
So suck it up---then politely excuse yourself

Love Hot Sauces but they need some flavor and a little heat

As for Tabasco

That is just Red Vinegar----yuk!
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 11:58 AM   #90

Speaking of hot sauces.
When I first started flying for an airline most of our flights were out and backs to destination vacation spots in Mexico and the Caribbean from major cities in the US. It made for some very long days. We often flew "augmented" with a third pilot due to flight hour regulations.
We had no choice but to eat airline food. Over and over and over and over again.
A majority of the pilots I flew with kept a bottle of Tabasco Sauce or some other hot sauce in their flight bags, aka "brain bags," to make the food palatable.
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 09:54 PM   #91

Forest River Owners Club
FOT

SOS or FOT haven’t seen FOT mentioned but I didn’t read every post. In case you are wondering FOT is foreskins on toast it’s was chipped beef and gravy on toast. SOS was ground beef and gravy on toast. At least that’s how I remember it 50 plus years ago. Fair winds and following seas.
Wilky7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 04:18 PM   #92

Ford Super Duty Owner
The absolute best SOS was when I was in the Air Force. I was in for 8yrs and every base I was stationed at had to die for SOS. how could it be anything but the best they had to stir it occasionally to stir in all the butter that came to the top. When I was in a full breakfast cost $.25. that was 1969 thu 1976. Cheap even then
Terryshirley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 03:03 PM   #93

Monaco Owners Club
I also loved SOS

AF 54 to 57
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 03:41 PM   #94

Location: Between Knoxville and Morristown, TN. A little place called Rutledge.
I was in the Air Force in Utapao Thailand in 1971. The chow hall had three meals; Breakfast with the SOS and scrambled eggs, Lunch with hamburgers, and diner which was whatever they had for lunch, served with gravy over rice. Since Thailand had incredible food, diner was not a popular meal and most would go off base to eat.

I did until I ended up on night shift. Wake up at 5pm, go to breakfast to have hamburgers in gravy on rice. Midnight meal was the typical breakfast and when I got off work at 7am, it was, once again, breakfast. I could eat breakfast for diner but after the morning rush the cooks really didn't feel like cooking much and left it to the junior staff. They slopped cooking oil on the grill and covered the eggs with hot oil to get it really cooked on both sides at one time. I lost 20 pounds from not being able to eat. Often went off base to get "lunch" when the stalls opened but that was around 11AM which for me was 11PM. Made for a short nap before getting ready for work.
SteveNSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 10:25 AM   #95

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
SOS

The sos I had in the Navy was red which I thought was very good 54to76
scuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 09:08 AM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuffy View Post
The sos I had in the Navy was red which I thought was very good 54to76
I was Navy (Airdale) 58-62 and I remember both kinds, creamy white and red. The red was called "bloody SOS".

Perhaps it was just where we were and what was served there. I thought both were good.

Steve

1996 Dodge Cummins 2500 with 1996 Lance 945 camper
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 06:18 PM   #97

In the Gulf of Tonkin in1966 on the DD 950 we were truly fortunate to have a
real chef. Freshly grated potatoes covered with SOS (white) and 2 eggs over easy on top. (Wet spots on my tongue typing this).

Mike
2001 Newmar KADP 4084
Mike2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 05:58 AM   #98

Forest River Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Thanks to everyone who shared an SOS story and step-by Step guide for making the best SOS.

Never knew there were so many ways to enjoy a plate of SOS.

Anyone have pictures? I think I have added 10-pounds just reading this over again.

Always looking for new ways to make the old plate of SOS. Ideas welcomed.
van-gogh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
breakfast, coffee, cooking, food, gravy, sos