RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Military / Veteran RVing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-22-2019, 03:54 PM   #1

iRV2 No Limits Club
Do you recall the SOS with Biscuit & Gravy Breakfast?

So here I was driving home after a bit of a road trip. I had been driving since 4-AM and it was coming up on 8-AM when I had stopped for my first refueling stop. Next to the service station was an I-HOP.

If you know me I'm not much of a breakfast person. I was not up-to-date with what I-HOP had and I ordered a simple Egg, Bacon, toast, and coffee. Jumping in next to me was a man who ordered up 3-pancakes, Biscuits, and gravy also a cup of Coffee. Recalling my old military days of SOS and you should know what that means. WOW man, I loved them SOS, but were they the same? I asked the young lady for a small dish of Sauage Gray adding some to my toast. It was close to the same taste I had not had in almost 50-years.

Okay, now you old salt's how many can recall them Military days of SOS?

And YES, I did order a Biscuit and gravy. When I returned home, I got to talking with a family member and my love of the old SOS with Biscuits & Gravy. With that, he took me to this wonderful place I understand started in Jacksonville, Florida. Called the Maple Street Biscuits Company. https://maplestreetbiscuits.com/

Now you all know where I will be at least one day a month. So I would like to hear and read your own old war stories of SOS. Funny how something just never leaves you ever. Please just the likes of SOS no junk stories please, Thanks.

Thanks, In-Advance for your story?

Dogman635UT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2019, 04:06 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogman635UT View Post
So here I was driving home after a bit of a road trip. I had been driving since 4-AM and it was coming up on 8-AM when I had stopped for my first refueling stop. Next to the service station was an I-HOP.

If you know me I'm not much of a breakfast person. I was not up-to-date with what I-HOP had and I ordered a simple Egg, Bacon, toast, and coffee. Jumping in next to me was a man who ordered up 3-pancakes, Biskets, and gravy also a cup of Coffee. Recalling my old military days of SOS and you should know what that means. WOW man, I loved them SOS, but were they the same? I asked the young lady for a small dish of Sauage Gray adding some to my toast. It was close to the same taste I had not had in almost 50-years.

Okay, now you old salt's how many can recall them Military days of SOS?

And YES, I did order a Biscuit and gravy. When I returned home, I got to talking with a family member and my love of the old SOS with Biscuit & Gravy. With that, he took me to this wonderful place I understand started in Jacksonville, Florida. Called the Maple Street Biscuits Company. https://maplestreetbiscuits.com/

Now you all know where I will be at least one day a month. So I would like to hear and read your own old war stories of SOS. Funny how something just never leaves you forever.

Thanks, In-Advance for your story?
The sanitized name is Sauce On a Shingle. I'm a big fan. Sometimes I pick up a small package of chipped beef from the store, bring it home and kinda wave it in front of my DW before putting it in an easy to find place in the reefer. The next morning I usually enjoy hot SOS.

2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 04:18 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I grew up on Chipped beef on toast! When I joined the Navy it was a frequent breakfast item with that new funny name. I need to figure out how to make that gravy. There are several types, some with hamburger gravy, some sausage and some with no meat in the gravy itself. My Mom made the white smooth gravy and poured it over the chipped beef. Yum, I know whats for breakfast Sunday!!
gemert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 04:27 PM   #4

On board ship out on the middle of the ocean REAL food was limited.
Powdered eggs, powdered milk, bug-juice and that SOS.
Ships cooks just could NOT do gravy.

We even had hamburger patties that came in 'waxed cardboard' cases....with WWII stamped on them

On a few occasions we would have fried SPAM sandwiches for 'Mid Rats'----now THAT was some good eating.

During 'REPs' (replenishments) we had one of our guys at the outside hatch to emergency escapee trunk.

Food stores for officers would come on board FIRST....as they made their way forward anything REALLY GOOD would disappear down the hatch to be quickly retrieved and hidden away for later enjoyment by all in Aft Engine Room.

Take the cover off a Main Steam Line 'trap'....little turbine oil and flash fried steaks (1000*F steam temps)
Place shrimp/lobsters inside the stolen autoclave and hit the steam to it....fresh cooked in just minutes
Fruit......that didn't last the evening

Big investigation the next day cause stores didn't match talley sheets but few 'twidgets' dare to venture into the 'hole' where the 'snipes' were.
Officers would pout for weeks.....hahahaha

Biscuit/gravy....that is a regular breakfast item in our house.
During the week it's a bagel, or egg casarole, hot cereal.
Sundays.....all out biscuits/gravy, fried eggs, hash browns, sausage/bacon ....sometimes waffles.
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 04:32 PM   #5

SOS?. In lieu of the original name we used to call it "Sergeant O'Leary's Special"

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL420 View Post
The sanitized name is Sauce On a Shingle....
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 06:31 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
SOS was beef, not pork sausage, the best biscuit with sausage gravey is at Huddle House
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 06:52 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard View Post
SOS was beef, not pork sausage, the best biscuit with sausage gravey is at Huddle House
Best SOS was at Graf Germany HQ company. Thise cooks new how to keep morale up.Click image for larger version

Name:	440312392.jpeg
Views:	5
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	267648
Russ Silber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 07:12 PM   #8

Many was the long winter night when I was stationed at Loring AFB in northern Maine (long since closed) that a healthy serving of SOS from the dining hall got me through -25 degree nights standing guard on an alert B 52. This was always the high point of my shift. The only time it wasn't enjoyable was when a new cook had the duty and left flour lumps in it!!! I still don't understand why most places that call themselves "diners" don't have it on their menu's. Except for places around Gettysburg, PA. where every diner has it. Which for me is just another great reason to visit that area.
Old 11-22-2019, 07:25 PM   #9

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard View Post
I'm wondering, but I'm sure at the I-HOP they called it Sausage Gravy. The tastes were much like we had in the Air Force. Truly I don't know as I never gave that much thought. I always thought it just came in a can. I do recall my mom making gravy which was just a small bit of flour into a cup of milk overheat and became gravy but did not have the meat as the USAF cooks made it.

Now I'm wondering how it's made. Thanks, everyone good feedbacks.
Dogman635UT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 07:46 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogman635UT View Post

Now I'm wondering how it's made. Thanks, everyone good feedbacks.
Quarter stick of butter, melt it in a skillet over medium heat, whisk in a couple of tsps of white flour until lumps are gone. Keep whisking and cook just a little bit but before it starts to brown whisk in half a cup of whole milk(more if needed.)
Stir until it thickens a bit then add in a small package of chipped beef from the deli section of store, salt and pepper to taste.
It's better on toast rather than just bread.

Oh wait. I forgot the eggs!
One egg sunny side up on each piece of toast under the SOS.
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 07:52 PM   #11

Midnight breakfast. SOS covered by 2 eggs over easy covered by potatoes covered with beacon. Heart attack on a plate. But we were young and indestructible. Makes me hungry thinking about it.
redcolorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 05:19 AM   #12

My first meal in Navy boot camp was sos and I can still hear my Company Commander (DI for none Navy folks) telling us to get use to it. I love biscuits and gravy, something totally different than sos. I was born and raised in the South so biscuits and gravy were a common meal, also love hog jawl and grits.
Traildust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 05:38 AM   #13

My first time was Navy boot camp, it was about a week or so in don't think any one took a dump the whole time there, then SOS was served in the galley our barracks was at the opposite end of the base next to the back fence, galley was at the front, we couldn't get back to the barracks fast enough it cleaned everyone out.
ransil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 06:41 AM   #14

Forest River Owners Club
I was one of those twigits because I had to account for the stuff. Storekeeper 2nd class. Yes I was on your ship.

inlineskater is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
breakfast, coffee, cooking, food, gravy, sos