Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Military / Veteran RVing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-17-2012, 10:44 AM   #71

Joined USAF 9/62..Lackland for bootcamp. Joined the Drum and Bugle Corp, traveled around south Texas marching in parades. Made boot camp a lot more bearable. After that was sent to Wurtsmith AFB, Mi. for the remainder of my 4 years. After all these years still remember my AF #.
Rockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2012, 01:16 PM   #72

Enlisted in the Army in 1955 on my 18th birthday. Basic training at Ft. Jackson then to a Nike site at Ft. Slouch, NY. Got my high school GED while in. Did my 3year enlistment and wanted to see the world. Got into the National Maritime Union and worked as a merchant seaman for 7 years. Let my first wife talk me into a job on shore. Big mistake for me. Always wished I had stayed until retirement.
texkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:52 PM   #73

Well, I guess I am a Draft Dodger. I was heading for trouble at home so I joined the Navy in early 1971 at the age of 17. When I turned 18 I asked my Cheif if I should sign up for the Draft and he said wait till I get out. After two West Pac Cruises off the coast of Nam I got out of the Navy in early 1975. One of the first things I did when I got out was to go to the post office to sign up for the Draft. The post Office Master looked at me and laughed and said to forgit about it, so I did. Well if they want me now come and get me, I am 59 years old set in my ways and I like my Mountains Blue ( ice Blue ), of course if my wife will let me come out and play.

Albert
Old 11-18-2012, 05:33 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by texkayaker View Post
Enlisted in the Army in 1955 on my 18th birthday. Basic training at Ft. Jackson then to a Nike site at Ft. Slouch, NY. Got my high school GED while in. Did my 3year enlistment and wanted to see the world. Got into the National Maritime Union and worked as a merchant seaman for 7 years. Let my first wife talk me into a job on shore. Big mistake for me. Always wished I had stayed until retirement.

I hear that from so many vets......they had served for 4,6 even 9 years and got out, never did there 20 years for retirement......as a senior NCO we would were always trying to retain our men. Retention was not easy, when jobs on the outside were good, but when they were fewer jobs available it was easier.
Now they look back and wished they stayed.....
corjaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:48 AM   #75

Thor Owners Club
Have been reading all these life experiences and feel old!! I enlisted the day after my 18th b'day in March '54. Boot camp at Sampson in upstate NY. Sampson vets have a web site for all who went thru there from '51 thru '56. I stayed out a week after my first hitch, times were tough then and I was married with kids, so I reenlisted and stayed for 20 yrs...best decision I ever made. Some great experiences that would never have come my way otherwise. I was a rocket engine mech at Edwards working on the X15 and the NF104 (remember Yeager and the "Right Stuff?)after he drove his plane into the mojave desert I was able to retrain into computer programming. Retired in '74. There's got to be someone older then me in here!
rovinredneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 12:07 PM   #76

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by corjaguar View Post
I hear that from so many vets......they had served for 4,6 even 9 years and got out, never did there 20 years for retirement......as a senior NCO we would were always trying to retain our men. Retention was not easy, when jobs on the outside were good, but when they were fewer jobs available it was easier.
I guess I'm one of the exceptions. I had 13 years as an Army Reservist. It seemed like that "one weekend a month" always interfered with something else occurring that same weekend (weddings, family celebrations, even attending church). It even interfered with the birth of my second son, which happened on the Saturday that I had drill (Naturally, I didn't go that day). As my children grew, I found myself wanting to spend more time with them and it just wasn't worth the money I was paid for a weekend drill as a Sergeant First Class, E-7. I figured I'd find some way to live without the additional income, and I did.

Not long after I got out, I bought a tent and we started family camping. Two years later, I purchased the Coleman pop-up. The seven additional years I would have spent in the military to earn that retirement check couldn't hold a candle to the joy and satisfaction I had camping with my family, and being with my sons as they grew into adults. I have no regrets at all with the path I chose.

My wife liked it too because she wasn't home alone with two lively boys for two weeks every year while I attended summer camp.
Frank P. Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:20 PM   #77

I was on active duty in the Navy from '69 to '72. Could not wait to get out, to join all my friends who dodged the draft, went to college and were making good money. Even as an E-5, I was tired of being broke trying to support a wife and kid.

Every once in a while I have a weird dream about re-enlisting as an old fart. Maybe it is really just a nightmare.
Air Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:55 PM   #78

Monaco Owners Club
Lets see, the short version is:

Graduated HS in '67 and headed to Houston for school in the fall. Has 1/2 hour short of a deferral so THe letter got sent to the house. I ran down to the AF recruiter and went delayed enlistment.

Basic at Lackland, followed by tech school at Shepard. Became a screw chief on 1 & 2 engine jets. Spent two years at Randolph then on to Takhli then Ubon RTAFB. Followed by one year each at Wirtsmith and Cannon. Shipped back to Thialand (Udorn) for a year. Then back to Randolph.

While at Randolph I got tired of having friends injured or killed in motorcycle crashes so I cross trained into Ground Safety and was assigned to Fairchild AFB, WA. After 11 years active duty I had had enough and decided to pass on reupping, again. Got out in spring of '79 and headed back to school, this time in Cheney Wa.

I joined the AF Reserves after a year to supplement my GI bill. I spent the next 10 years commuting from a variety of cities to McChord or Travis for my one weekend a month and doing my annual tours somewhere in the Pacific region. Got to work in MAC for most of my reserve career. The C-141 was a great old bird.

I pulled the plug and took retirement in the spring of 1989, just before Gulf 1. Finally started drawing a regular check four years ago. Going back was one of the best moves of my life. Proud to have served.
Pricejh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:17 PM   #79

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by corjaguar View Post
I did 7 Years in the Navy and was a E6 when I got out. Made four West Pac trips to Nam in that time. When my oldest daughter was afraid of me when I came home I got out when the enlistment was up in 1970. It could have been worse, she could have called me Uncle Daddy. Never regretted getting out and would do it again in a heartbeat. I took my turn and did my duty and then minded my Better Homes and Gardens.
Proud I served, prouder to be a father.
Dick
Old 11-23-2012, 08:00 AM   #80

I tried for my 20+. however whatever happened at NKP put a stop to that. Waking up in the Oakland Navy hospital should have been a clue that my USAF career was over.

Would I do it again? In a heart beat. Many of us with longevity in the service going beyond more than 2 enlistments would have gone for the next one if circumstances had allowed. I know I would have. To this day I don't know what happened. All I know is sometime during my second tour in SEA an explosion of unknown origin happened on base. Then being sort of lucid and a lot of time in a plane before realizing I was back stateside. Six months later I was a civilian again.

FB: Adventures of Ranger and Jin
desertranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:50 AM   #81

Tiffin Owners Club
papaw.1

Tks to all who served this great country.I joined the USMC in 1967 went to Parris Island for basic training then on to Camp Lejueine for more training.Then went to Camp Penelton.In 1968 we left going to NAM.We stopped in Okanawa Japan.I ended up there for 10 months then had to come home on emergency leave.My Grandmother passed away.I then was stationed @ New River Station in Jacksonville NC.I got out in Oct.1971 then in 1975 I went in Air National Guard in Kennasaw Ga.I was in there for 3 1/2yrs.Went thru a bad divorce so I got out in 1979.Another bad mistake.Like alot of another people I should have stayed in.Everone be safe and be happy SEMPER FI
Old 12-31-2012, 12:09 AM   #82

Winnebago Owners Club
In the 1970 draft lottery my birthday came up number 70. The newspapers said they were taking the first 100 draft numbers so I figured I better join the Navy. In all of the war movies sailors always had better chow, a nicer place to sleep and more women then the Army. My draft notice showed up while I was in boot camp everyone got a big laugh out of it. Later that year I volunteered for 'Nam anyway so my idea of missing the war did work.

I enjoyed every part of my 20 year career and would do it again if they would let me. I did not like those long days and 8 to 10 month deployments or the 116 days in the IO aboard the Enterprise, but I did go around the world on the Coral Sea. I really did Join the Navy and Saw the World.

A very big Bravo Zulu to all my fellow shipmates and veterans from all of the services. Happy New Year and safe travels in 2013.
CPO_Retired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:28 AM   #83

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well I tried to join the Air Force (ROTC) but alas, high blood pressure kept me out. Same with the draft. (IF I'd have been found 1-A I'd have been at the Air Force recurtier's desk before the ink dried).

So, not being able to join the military.. I joined the Michigan State Police as a Civilian dispatcher for the next quarter century... And thus served the public that way.

There are quite a few folks who really wish I'd not done that, Strange thing is they all have the same mailing address.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:53 PM   #84

I was in the 1968 lottery and was well below cutoff. I was in college at the time so was going to be drafted upon graduation. The sent me for a pre-induction physical when I was 19. I looked into the reserves and they had a real long waiting list so I figured I was going. Somehow I moved up the list and was called in for the USAR. Went in 1970 and out in 1976. Combat Engineer Instructer. We always lived under the threat of being called up, but it didn't happen much then. With the draft active, and so many men going to Viet Nam, we were kind of the home team.
tompen is offline   Reply With Quote