Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Military / Veteran RVing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-14-2013, 03:36 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
I don't mind anyone controlling drones getting a medal, but in my humble opinion it should rate some where below the Purple Heart.

That could still put it in the medals for non-combat heroism in accordance with the military medal precedence chart. (Searh on "military medal precedence chart" and look at the Wikipedia link.
Agree ! It's not like it isn't stressful and weighs on the operator's conscience.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2013, 05:48 PM   #16

Stress effects, ie: PTSD is not what this is about. There are thousands of military folks suffering from PTSD, most do not even know it. But again, this is not about that illness. The topic is a "proposed" medal.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 05:51 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
"A lot of stress!" Surely you jest. In my war we would have called Drone operators "REMFs."

As far as PTSD goes, there are lots that have it and lots that are diagnosed with it that don't have it. Don't know about other VAs, but that's the way it is in mine....they troll for business.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:25 AM   #18

When I heard of the ranking it became abundantly clear that whatever illness is running rampant in our government in Washington had finally reached our military leaders as well. Anyone who would even consider putting drone pilots in the same category with personnel who had been in harms way needs to be evaluated for fitness for duty if they're military and fired if they're civilians. I'm taking nothing away from the service members who have not been in harms way but, how dare anyone make a comparison to those who have met danger face-to-face. As much as I love and respect our military system it is obvious that idiocy still runs rampant occasionally.
Lostsoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:21 PM   #19

Secretary Hagel dis-approved the medal, sending the proposal back to the Joint Chiefs for further review.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:28 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Misplaced Medal

I give my unwavering respect any man or woman who suffered bodily injury serving their country.

I doubt I could ever give the same respect to anybody operating a joystick no matter how much they feel "stressed out" or have been uncomfortable in the location, hours worked, or percieved sacrifice.

I hope this medal goes away. This is a good place to save sequester dollars.
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:19 PM   #21

I am of the opinion that the whole entire awards and decoration manual (672-5-1) is due for a rewrite. I am a 28 year military veteran, I received an MSM during operation Just Cause that was harder to come by, and with more meaning than a Bronze Star later received during a deployment to Trikrit Iraq (OIF III). I know soldiers in the 7th ID back in the day that worked harded to obtain an EIB, than soldiers today who receive CAB's. Not trying to minimize, or diminish anyones service ribbons, but the recepitents know what the are worth, they are the only ones who really know. I have tiny 5th place trophies that mean more to me than 5' tall 1st place trophies, kind of the same thing IMO.
As far as the drone operators go, are they combat multpliers, you bet your hiney they are, do they bring anything to the fight, for sure they do, but......... To have an award such as that take presedence over awards received in country while engaging the enemy, how ridiculous is that? I loved every minute of the time I spent in the military, I really did and would not trade it for anything. However, I do realize change is both inevidible and good, I had problem with the good part so I got on out. Not to go on a (to late) rant but I think as a Military, a nation, and a people the only thing that can save us is about 20 giant steps backward! Quick!!
YZF571 is offline   Reply With Quote