Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Military / Veteran RVing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-13-2019, 08:55 AM   #29

We've been using the MWR Famcamps for 15+ years now based on 100%DAV status. Many are excellent places, some great for long term.

At this time I have the DD 2765 ID which expires INDEF - meaning permanent. Wife has to get her card renewed about every 5 years I think.

Question is what ID will be used to allow every disabled veteran access? Just a VA ID card?

I know the guards have been scanning ID for years now - just wondering how that flies with the potential increase in numbers. A lot of things have to be "worked out" to implement the new change coming.
kayak70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2019, 09:12 AM   #30

Tiffin Owners Club
The bill that passed had a $$ funding for the ID card issue. The Com & EX privilege will be pretty straightforward. Its the MWR facility use that will have more controls. Read golf course and famcamp usage.
Currently most of them have priority use levels published already. With active duty being # 1 of course.
One USAF famcamp I can think of has a 25 priority level list posted on office wall. As to where these new vet personnel will fit is not known yet.
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 12:21 AM   #31

There are about 2 million military retirees at any given time. Allowing all disabled veterans including guys who never make it beyond boot camp because of stress fractures or flat feet will add about 4 million more eligible civilians. It is already difficult to make reservations at popular locations like Shades of Green or Hale Koa and lawmakers didn't provide funding for more resources. Some of us stuck it out for 20 years with the promise of having these benefits but never had the time to take advantage while on active duty. Personally, I feel like the rug has been pulled out from under me right before i retire.
Politicians love giving away free stuff for votes but in this case, they are taking away from people who have already commited 20 years of their life away from family with geographic instability and high personal risk. Sorry but 4 years and tinnitus shouldn't be enough to take resources from retirees.
Raider47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 04:17 PM   #32

Newmar Owners Club
A pretty good measure is; if you have a card that gets you on military bases, you probably can use more facilities, including Fam camps
imgoin4it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 07:14 PM   #33

Howdy!

We are fulltime RVer’s and am also a Veteran with with service connected ratings. I use the VA for all my healthcare needs. I have never used the military campgrounds but would like to do so. My question is I am also a retired LEO and as such carry weapons with us fulltiming. What problems may encounter regarding this entering these military installations as a RVer?

“Happy Trails”
Chiefneon
chiefneon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 09:22 PM   #34

From my experience bases that allow personal weapons require members to declare them at the front gate and check them in at the armory. If civilians are authorized to bring weapons on base, I assume they follow the same procedures. Civilian law enforcement on base for official business carry their weapons.
Old 01-24-2020, 09:11 AM   #35

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefneon View Post
Howdy!

We are fulltime RVer’s and am also a Veteran with with service connected ratings. I use the VA for all my healthcare needs. I have never used the military campgrounds but would like to do so. My question is I am also a retired LEO and as such carry weapons with us fulltiming. What problems may encounter regarding this entering these military installations as a RVer?

“Happy Trails”
Chiefneon
Prior to 9-11 we carried all the time. The regs for famcamp weapons were same as base quarters. After 9-11 the restrictions got much tighter. As said here, every command can have their own regs on bringing firearms on base. Best to call before arriving at gate.

One of them was length of time they will allow your weapon to remain in the armory. Didn't work out with our stay time needs.
We don't carry any more. And with the shooting on NAS Pensacola I would think its only going to be more restrictive.

One thing I can tell you is, don't even think about sneaking a gun on base. We have seen RVs taken to x ray building (Ft Hood). RV totally unload on tarmac and searched. RV impounded at gate (NAS Mayport). Once in a famcamp in the dark of night four base police cars surrounded a parked RV and have everybody out on the ground till they found the gun.
Because we don't carry anymore we never over night in unsecured areas. No more rest areas, FJ/P or parking lots.

Just one famcampers observations over a 20 year period. Just goes with the life style.
But first you will have to apply for the VA ID card to be allowed base access.
I'd normally say welcome aboard, but Im not totally in agreement with allowing hundreds of thousands more famcampers to an already over loaded system. But thats just me.
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 11:50 PM   #36

Another note on bringing weapons on base, a recent policy change requires proof of registration for all personal weapons to be shipped with Household goods during a pcs move. I expect bases might start enforcing the same rule on the armory.

Tags
campground, military