RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Military / Veteran RVing
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-16-2019, 06:54 AM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Enola Gay

One of my "bucket list" things was to go and pay my respects to the Enola Gay at the Smithsonian Air and Space museum. I did that last week.
Lots of emotions and thoughts entered my mind while sitting there. I saw some articles about ppl not being very happy about the plane being there. It's there right and many ppl died making sure we keep that right.
Many ppl were more interested in the Cessna racing plane , right across from the Enola Gay, than even stopping to read about the Enola Gay. That was the same as slapping me and every other Vet in the face. A lot of ppl didn't even look at the most important plane there..... Arguably.
They didn't have a replica of Little Boy by the plane. There also was nothing available in the gift shop that said Enola Gay. What a shame.
To bad funding couldn't be made to move the Enola Gay to Wright Patterson and put right across from Bockscar and Fat Man.
I've now seen both and can't imagine all the ppl that don't know what they are or the impact these two planes have had on our freedom.
I pray that we never repeat what happened in Japan in August of 1945.

Terryshirley is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2019, 07:10 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
It is sad that the "Snowflakes" are working their way into traditional society and the military today.
When the "Boomers" are gone they'll be no limits to what can happen with life here as we know it. Not something I'll miss.

skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 07:35 AM   #3
IC2

We haven't been to the Smithsonian since the Enola Gay was put on display though would like to visit again.

Unfortunately much of history, including that airplane has become an asterisk for the last couple of generations. I wont go further as other comments could be considered political, but I do hope that there are still enough folks will continue understanding via reading how the world of yesterday really made what we have today.
Old 03-16-2019, 08:10 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freedom isn't free but I suspect for most, freedom is all they've ever known. If it's not on facebook they probably don't know anything about it. They probably know more about disenfranchisement and climate change.

Years ago I went through WPAFB with a few friends who are vets and each of us had our stories to tell about the various planes and equipment on display. Added a whole dimension to a static object behind a rope with a placard in front of it. Going through the warbirds area at the EAA fly in gives me the chills, seeing and hearing those same kinds planes that many met their fate in. How many more years will any of these even be around, much less flying?

You can't instill honor and respect in someone that doesn't have it, but that doesn't change your own. Thanks for posting.

Mark B,
Albuquerque, NM
Mark_K5LXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 08:59 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
The Enola Gay.... My thoughts are of the pilot, Paul Tibbets, he lived in the Columbus, OH area and was interred in a unknown location in this area due to protests of his piloting the Enola Gay. I met him while visiting the Motts Military Museum in Groveport, OH. He had some great stories. He was reviewing the very nice display of "Paul Tibbets" items in the museum. The museum is a hidden gem of Military artifacts from all the U.S. wars. If in the Columbus area you should add this wonderful museum to your itinerary.
flywithcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 09:54 AM   #6

Always hope... Took a son to the Hornet a few years back. Met a few pilots of the displayed planes. Son is working on his MD, and spends some time at the VA. Daughter wants to see the new Midway movie. Been to to Travis open house and met several current pilots.

Their Great Grandpa was a WWII POW, so there is some built in interest, bit the interest has to be "supported" until their adult years.
Do26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 10:37 AM   #7

1973 in Sasebo Japan a couple of us hopped a train and went to Nagasaki in full dress blues.
Went to a museum that was full of photos and artifacts from August 9, 1945

Absolutely chilling........especially when you are getting the 'evil eye' from a Class of 4th graders on a field trip.

Let's us hope/pray we never repeat this level of devastation.
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 10:55 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Most people are not aware the projected death tole for the invasion was 500,000 men for the alies. After we arrived and checked the defenses of Japan that was upped to as much as 2 million men. Should we rejoice at the death of so many Japanese, of course not. But we must remember these were fanatical people who were ready to die for their cause. Any reasonable person would have to agree this was a hard but neccessary thing to do. If the invasion had happened without dropping the atom bombs many more Japanese would have died in the fighting.
Old 03-16-2019, 12:23 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
A lot of our history has been ignored and destroyed by many, who never lived or studied it.

I have had the pleasure of being a Navy Brat, lived in Japan 1954-57. Saw a lot of history and customs and was wellcomed by the people.
At Los Alamos, and retired form Hanford.

The Kids were all Richland "Bombers". A Mushroom Cloud is on the jackets. A picture of "Days Pay" is painted on the end of the gym.

http://www.alumnisandstorm.com/Mascot/MaupinPaper.htm

http://www.alumnisandstorm.com/Mascot/MaupinPaper.htmhttps://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt...211US558G91208

B-17 Bomber "Day's Pay" christened at the Hanford Airport on July 23, 1944. - HistoryLink.org
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 12:51 PM   #10

You are certainly correct but, respectfully, remember this was war and we had enemies that would have done the same thing to us given the chance. Also, if I remember correctly, there were more casualties from the fire bombings than the two atom bombs. This didn't generate anywhere the same notoriety but has been documented in several books.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
...Let's us hope/pray we never repeat this level of devastation.
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 12:59 PM   #11
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 08:35 AM   #12

National RV Owners Club
2nd Bombing

My uncle Charles Sweeney was on both bombings. He flew the plane that carried the instruments and cameras on 1st mission. He was also the pilot who carried the Nagasaki bomb. He wrote a book: "Wars End". Very good read.
Cpl Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 04:37 PM   #13

I do not remember who spoke the famous phrase " those who do not remember history are doomed to repeat it", but is IMO very true.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 06:09 PM   #14
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
https://www.nuclearmuseum.org/see/exhibits/

This is a must see if you are in the area.

Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote