RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Military / Veteran RVing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-30-2014, 09:42 PM   #1

Enola Gay crew member

Last crew member of Enola Gay dies in Georgia

becken6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2014, 09:57 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
May he Rest In Peace.

rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 01:45 PM   #3

The Last Mission

Went to the museum at Dulles just to see the Enola Gay...in all it's restored glory. Thankfully it was resurrected from a Smithsonian warehouse and given the proper un-apologetic recognition that it deserves.

Hopefully I will get to see Paul Mason at the Miami Everglades RV Resort again this winter. He spends his winters there in his RV, and hosts a movie night several times where he shows the History Channel special "The Last Mission" and tells some great stories. Can you imagine being 24 years old and flying a B-29 over Japan?

91-Year-Old WWII Bomber Pilot Says He's "Lucky" | Bangor, Maine News, Sports, and Weather - WABI TV5
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2198.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	547.1 KB
ID:	70418   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2160.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	631.3 KB
ID:	70419  

Air Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 06:29 AM   #4

Pictures do not do it justice, AMAZING in person. GREAT place!
Burgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 02:47 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Baron View Post
Thankfully it was resurrected from a Smithsonian warehouse and given the proper un-apologetic recognition that it deserves.
You are so right there. I know it was a horrible thing that happened to Japan but to me it just like the idiot that gets shot and killed by the police when he/she decides to have it out with the law. All he/she had to do was stop and surrender and he/she would not have been shot. All Japan had to do was stop and surrender and the bombs would never have been dropped. Your "un-apologetic" comment is spot on.
wva3185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 03:52 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Several years ago I was at Drake Field here in AR and just happened to be there the day CoL Tibbits was there signing his book written about the bombing. It was an honor getting to meet and shake his hand. I read the book then gave it to our Son who is a Lt.Col in the AF and closing in on 19 years service.

We've also seen the Enola Gay and Box Car at Wright Pat.

TeJay
Old 08-26-2014, 10:25 AM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I'm a bit envious of your encounter. I was able to meet some of the members of Merrill's Marauders a few years back, as well as Tuskegee airmen. Proud have shaken their hands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
Several years ago I was at Drake Field here in AR and just happened to be there the day CoL Tibbits was there signing his book written about the bombing. It was an honor getting to meet and shake his hand. I read the book then gave it to our Son who is a Lt.Col in the AF and closing in on 19 years service.

We've also seen the Enola Gay and Box Car at Wright Pat.

TeJay
BandC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 10:28 AM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Getting a little off-topic, but I posted this article on my Facebook page;

I’m a cop. If you don’t want to get hurt, don’t challenge me. - The Washington Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by wva3185 View Post
You are so right there. I know it was a horrible thing that happened to Japan but to me it just like the idiot that gets shot and killed by the police when he/she decides to have it out with the law. All he/she had to do was stop and surrender and he/she would not have been shot. All Japan had to do was stop and surrender and the bombs would never have been dropped. Your "un-apologetic" comment is spot on.
Old 08-27-2014, 07:26 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
BandC,
I can add some to those types of encounters as well. My Brother lives in Houston and was involved with the CAF. I would visit every year for about 6 years and we worked the "Wings Over Houston" air show every October. Every year they have military vets at the autograph tent. Most of the vets were WWII. They had a fold out that pictured every Vet. I got autographs one year and also took pics then framed it and gave it my Son. On another ocassion some of the Tuskegee Airman were also at the show but their locations took me an hour to find. I got all of their signatures plus got to meet the first black female nurse to have joined the nursing group during WWII. Also got to meet a former Squadron Commander from Tuskegee. Boy was I flying high that day.
I also gave all those signed documents to my Son. When he was attending Air War College he also got to meet and talk with some of the TAM as well. So he added those signatures to his collection.

TeJay
Old 08-28-2014, 09:45 AM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
That's fantastic! True six degrees of separation from reality to history. You have to wait until the grand kids are actually adults before they can appreciate who these people were and what they did, though. Not unless they make a Tuskegee video game..(OK, they sorta have, but it's not that common to play I don't think).

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
BandC,
I can add some to those types of encounters as well.
TeJay
Old 08-28-2014, 10:44 AM   #11
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
R.I.P.

I have seen that plane up close and it is awe inspiring.