Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Military / Veteran RVing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-04-2007, 05:25 PM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
This may be old news to some of you but since I'm new to the wouderful world of GPS this is exciting to me. I just purchased a Garmin c330 and have found that custom Points of Interest, (POI) can be downloaded form the Internet and loaded into the GPS.

Here's the news: I found a POI file that has all of the Military Family Campgrounds. I got it loaded today and it has 193 campgrounds! I will now be more likely to consider military camping when I'm looking for a overnighter.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2007, 05:25 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
This may be old news to some of you but since I'm new to the wouderful world of GPS this is exciting to me. I just purchased a Garmin c330 and have found that custom Points of Interest, (POI) can be downloaded form the Internet and loaded into the GPS.

Here's the news: I found a POI file that has all of the Military Family Campgrounds. I got it loaded today and it has 193 campgrounds! I will now be more likely to consider military camping when I'm looking for a overnighter.
Old 02-27-2007, 07:14 PM   #3

So where did you find this file?
whatever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 03:13 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
I've posted a POI file with military FamCamps here.
Old 02-28-2007, 05:55 AM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ChiefJohn:
I've posted a POI file with military FamCamps here. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
That's the one. Thanks!!
Old 03-01-2007, 12:41 PM   #6

Wow, that is interesting. We are considering getting a GPS, but don't even know where to begin. I now know to look for one that you can download POIs into.

Is your GPS a handheld? We are considering a handheld.

mamaloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 01:09 PM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
My wife gave me a very nice handheld last year--and I took it back. For several reasons:
1. screen too small to see clearly while driving
2. too complicated to operate
3. it didn't give voice directions

So I got a Garmin C330 which has a bigger screen and easy to see. It has only one button for power and some touch-screen operations but very simple. And lastly it has voice prompts which IMHO is a must.

I would still like to have a handheld for the trail but that is a different issue now.
Old 03-01-2007, 02:15 PM   #8

Thanks FloraBama. Good advice.

mamaloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 07:03 PM   #9

Well, for some reason the Reply feature will not work, so this is the quick reply button.
The GPS may be of some use but- Most military installations now have a designated route for campers and large trucks. Go to http://www.militarycampgrounds.us/index.php?option=com_...iew&id=188&Itemid=38 for driving directions to these entrances. Also on the militarycampgrounds.us website, to the right of the CG info button is information about the USAF frequent camper program, it;s well worth the time to read.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote