Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Military / Veteran RVing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-02-2011, 06:31 PM   #1

Fort Benning, GA RV park

I assume it will be used a lot more now that the armor center has returned to Fort Benning. This increased military personnel size by about 52%.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2011, 01:04 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Fort Benning...Armor ? No longer the Infantry center ? What's at Fort Knox ?

I don't keep up with "who is where" anymore.

I sincerely believe that DOD is the soldiers(marines,airmen,navy) worst enemy. On the other hand, if Phoenix City, AL is the way it was in the early sixties, there is going to be a lot of new rich people there.

I meant DOD civilians within the beltway.

Kerry
two-niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 07:11 PM   #3

Ft. Benning is still the Infantry center, and now the Armor center is integrated back into the training. As we all know, General Patton trained his Army there. Ft. Benning was the birthplace of the Armor center. I don't know what will happen to Ft. Knox, it is included in the 25% base reduction right now. There is an extensive article in the current American Legion magazine. I visit Ft. Benning when I can. My PMOS was 11B5MX.
Since you mentioned Phoenix City there is a true story about General Patton. Seems some of his soldiers got jailed in Phoenix City right before they were to ship out for Europe. General Patton's staff were unsuccessful in gaining the soldiers release. General Patton took a few tanks to the bridge, aimed them at the city and demanded the return of his soldiers. He got them.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Old 01-04-2011, 11:23 AM   #4

Phenix City's heyday was in the early to mid fifties. There was also a story of the local communities not believing how much of an impact the base had on the local economy, until they paid the soldiers one month in nothing but $2 bills.

You wouldn't believe the money that is being spent on post right now, everywhere you look they're building something new or expanding.
alageezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 02:39 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Here's a link to the article. The Big Benning Theory | The American Legion | Veterans Serving Veterans

Last time I was there was 1973 for Infantry Officer Basic Course and Jump School.
Nonno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 05:29 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
The amazing part is that a massive combined arms training facility exists at Fort Irwin,CA.

Oh well, it's just tax money. Ray, your MOS was eleven bush?

Kerry
Old 01-06-2011, 02:14 PM   #7

Yes for most of my career. Of course the 5 is skill level, M designates First Sergeant, X designates permanent award of the Drill Sergeant patch.
Prior to that I held 74F30-computer data analyst (back in the punch-card days) until it became my SMOS.
For some reason I actually loved working as a Drill Sergeant. Perhaps it is because I had such a great one in basic training at FT. Knox.
Old 01-06-2011, 02:19 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ray, you da man !!!

Kerry
Old 01-06-2011, 02:34 PM   #9

Kerry I thought about Ft. Irwin when I first read the article about Army Armor returning to Ft. Benning. Wonder how that will all play out?
Old 01-07-2011, 06:12 AM   #10

Ray,

Where were you a DS at and when? I was in the first wave of other MOS's that were drafted by DA to be DS's in '74. Spent my two years on the trail at Ft Leonard Wood. I was always told that you would never forget your DS, I still remember mine from '63 at Ft Ord. I retired as a First Sergeant also.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:29 AM   #11

alageezer I was still in a PMOS of 74F in 74. Didn't switch to 11B until 78, with a 2 year ETS 76-78. I worked under the hat at Ft. Benning, Ft. Jackson, Ft. Knox, and Ft. Dix at various times. I spent a total of 6 years wearing a brown round. You preceded me in service. I was drafted Aug. 66, exactly 2 weeks after Kennedy exempted married men from the draft. My big mistake was not consenting to be enrolled in OCS at Ft. Knox during BCT. But at the time 2LT's didn't have much lifespan in Nam so I declined.
BTW, It didn't take long to discover why DS's have such a high divorce rate.
Old 01-07-2011, 08:08 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: KM Parks in Western Washington and Yuma,Az for the Winter
I was a Drill Sgt in the 5th Bde at Fort Knox in 1966. Also in 1966 I decided I didn't like the job and went to OCS at Knox. The only way out at the time
Old 01-08-2011, 04:45 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finhawk View Post
I was a Drill Sgt in the 5th Bde at Fort Knox in 1966. Also in 1966 I decided I didn't like the job and went to OCS at Knox. The only way out at the time
I've got to look up my old BCT graduation book to know for sure, but I think my BCT unit was C-3-4 in Aug.66. I remember Agony and Misery quite well too. Odd how one remembers that stuff. I doubt anyone who had one, has forgotten his old service number, AUS or RA _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _.
Ft. Benning doesn't have as many hills, but makes up for it with lots of humidity.
Old 01-08-2011, 07:01 AM   #14

Prior to 74, you had to volunteer to be a DS, and they weren't getting enough to sustain the force, and those that were DS couldn't get out. DA decided to start drafting from the other branches, and giving them a two year assignment. I was in the first group to go thru DI school in 74. I was in Aviation, 67G, but they got folks from everywhere. I did make E-7 off the secondary list just after I went to Wood. With the promotion and knowing I'd only be there two years, made it bearable. I must say I did enjoy it though.

I know the humidity of Ft Benning well, we came back here when I retired in 86. My wife is from this area.