Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Military / Veteran RVing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-28-2019, 11:44 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Ft. Bliss Fam Camp

We spent a few days there while visiting relatives in EP. It's a pretty nice place, but pretty regulated. The sites have concrete parking pads and patio area with small trees between sites. Lots of rock and gravel landscaping. They have a pretty large pet exercise area, but it was under reconstruction when we were there. There is an AAFES shoppette right in front of the gate and diesel was about 20¢ cheaper than off post. They don't take reservations unless you are PCSing in or out, but once you get in, you can stay 90 days. Cost was $19 a day for full hookup with 50 amp service.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2019, 01:26 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
We stayed there several years ago for contract work on Post and found it convenient and accessible.
We used the 'human exercise area' and enjoyed it too.
WiFi was decent at the time.
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 12:03 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Was there early January 2019, one of the cleanest best run FamCamp we have stayed at. Would not hesitate to go back.
lzucconi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 08:17 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post
We spent a few days there while visiting relatives in EP. It's a pretty nice place, but pretty regulated. The sites have concrete parking pads and patio area with small trees between sites. Lots of rock and gravel landscaping. They have a pretty large pet exercise area, but it was under reconstruction when we were there. There is an AAFES shoppette right in front of the gate and diesel was about 20¢ cheaper than off post. They don't take reservations unless you are PCSing in or out, but once you get in, you can stay 90 days. Cost was $19 a day for full hookup with 50 amp service.
Easily the best most secure and convenient in area was there in April and had no issues
GNRVNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 12:10 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for the tip!
cyclist922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 08:53 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
what do you mean by:"but pretty regulated."?
RightUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 09:25 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightUR View Post
what do you mean by:"but pretty regulated."?
Means they enforce the rules. Where in most parks the guest have to enforce/make complaints
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 01:03 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by skypilot_1 View Post
Means they enforce the rules. Where in most parks the guest have to enforce/make complaints
Do you know of many/any Military posts that are not "Regulated?"
Old 06-17-2019, 02:36 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Do you know of many/any Military posts that are not "Regulated?"
All are "Regulated?". But not all regulations in all famcamps are enforced !.....
We have spent 7 mos out of every year, for last 18 yrs. I know what Im talking about. Many hosts/mgr observe rules being violated and do nothing about it.....till a guest complains. Which pits guest against guest. Problem with Famcamps verses private parks is owners on site in commercial parks.
Ive been told by volunteer famcamp hosts...Im not paid to enforce the rules.
Old 06-19-2019, 07:55 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by skypilot_1 View Post
All are "Regulated?". But not all regulations in all famcamps are enforced !.....
We have spent 7 mos out of every year, for last 18 yrs. I know what Im talking about. Many hosts/mgr observe rules being violated and do nothing about it.....till a guest complains. Which pits guest against guest. Problem with Famcamps verses private parks is owners on site in commercial parks.
Ive been told by volunteer famcamp hosts...Im not paid to enforce the rules.
I'm not doubting whether or not you know what your talking about. You're "Old" at this I'm new at this. So I'm a bit taken aback. I thought as military members and veterans with close military ties we respect and follow "Regulations." We've done it for so long that it's almost 2nd nature (or should be). So from what your saying, many of "us" don't follow the rules. That's sad.
Old 06-19-2019, 08:22 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Skypilot 1,
Haven't used FamCamps last couple of years. Regs are only as good as the host and we all know there are many lazy hosts, but if when I made a complaint and heard, 'They don't pay me enough to enforce regulations." I would be talking to their supervisor on the phone right in their presence just as I did when on active duty and had some dumb answer like that given.

OP - some of our FamCamps do take reservations which I personally am against except for PCS and TDY personnel. Some allow reservations 12 months out which makes it virtually impossible for traveling vets to utilize during peak season. I recently was talking to 2 AF retirees at the rest stop outside our town. It was November and they were on their way to the Gulf Coast where they spend the winter in the FamCamp from Nov thru April. I know the FC and it isn't that big and when I stopped by it was full. The onsite manager said it is always full from Jan thru Mar and sometimes Apr with reservations being made upto 12 months out.

Oh well, can't change a lot of things but complaints do generate some consideration.

One tip I'm using right now as I plan my next trip is using Google maps/satellite view to check out FamCamps and possible CGs. Then I call to check out any additional needs/concerns I may have and reservation policies. Necessitated some planning changes. Don't normally make reservations myself until the night before I plan to ve there. Last couple of trips it has worked out pretty well.

Drive safe and enjoy - Richard
Old 06-19-2019, 01:23 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
I'm not doubting whether or not you know what your talking about. You're "Old" at this I'm new at this. So I'm a bit taken aback. I thought as military members and veterans with close military ties we respect and follow "Regulations." We've done it for so long that it's almost 2nd nature (or should be). So from what your saying, many of "us" don't follow the rules. That's sad.
When we first started RVin and used famcamps coast to coast, we too were amazed at what we observed. We knew right out of the gate, we all have something in common.....military service. And we knew what that entailed....abiding by rules and regulations.
However what we found was about the same as a commercial RV park as to the % of guests that are problem makers, such as; leaving barking pets all day, not pickin up after them, not observing quiet hrs and all the other minor stuff.
Have seen the bigger stuff. Security police raiding an RV on a drug bust.
All this to say the % of offenders in famcamps is just about the same as % of them in civilian society. No better, no worst.
We have many life long friends that we met in famcamps. Ones we meet up with time and time again all across the country. So don't be ...surprised at what you find in base RV parks. But its all good.
As a side note: At some locations MWR issues cards to civilians to be able to come on base and use MWR facilities. Rv park on the weekends can be a hand full. Its all bout the "bottom Line" $
Old 06-22-2019, 02:11 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNRVNG View Post
Easily the best most secure...
Not disputing that it's nice and convenient, but secure? It's off the base proper and anyone can drive in.
Deep Water D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 02:58 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Water D View Post
Not disputing that it's nice and convenient, but secure? It's off the base proper and anyone can drive in.
True but for the area RV park wise felt very secure....
GNRVNG is offline   Reply With Quote