Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Military / Veteran RVing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-20-2014, 05:35 PM   #15

FWIW I would take a good look at a biggish C. The cases will probably fit in the overhead bunk space. That is probably a better place for them than in an outside storage bin. The A gives you a better front seat but the C gives you better exit and entrance options. I seldom go from the drivers seat to the back because it is easier to get out the side door and walk around. Good time to do a tire check, etc. With a decent layout you and your dog can live in a C. Look for inside storage and a manageable shower step over height. Best units can be used without putting the slide out for short stops or a meal. Make sure your Prius can be towed.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2014, 07:22 PM   #16

New Mexico sounds pretty good
RVM #104
Dasmoeturhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 03:14 PM   #17

Be aware that Oregon has a free camping program for disabled vets at their State Parks, free and you don't have to be a resident of the State. Great Parks, their site has the details.
Melvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 12:04 AM   #18

Disbled Vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardMH View Post
Hi folks I am looking for information on the full time RV lifestyle from a Veterans perspective I am 100% p&t service connected but not combat related.are the programs as a Veteran I should look into, benefits I may not know about? Still looking for my first RV it is a exciting and scary journey one moment I say this will be awesome can not wait, the next I look at the sizes 27'- 36' and think how will I handle this huge thing looking at a Class A mostly or Class C will tow a Prius V behind it just me and my Service Dog Smokey a large ISSR Shiloh Shepherd also can "Private" parks refuse access to Service Dogs? How do you get medication refills on the road and anything else anyone can think of that would be important. Thank you for your replies and hope to see you on the road.
EdwardMH,
I think I can suggest that you contact your local Vet Rep and ask what services that the can assist you getting info on. The VA can also assist as you state you are service connected as far as medications and how to be supplied with them when full timing. Also perhaps you should join one of the many military service organizations to assist you. Now lastly, if you have a certified trained service dog that Federal Law states that your ( Service) dog can not be restricted from any place that you go. Unless that animal is a threat or is bothersome. that means if you want to go to a restaurant the dog can go legally under Federal Law. If you want to go to a movie the dog can go as well but if the dog starts to bark you could be asked to go unless you keep the animal quiet. if you want to go to a state or federal park or building a food store any place in the US the law is on your side and the dog can go. If some one asks if it's a service dog you can tell them yes but you do not have to tell them what the dog is trained for or what your disability or need of the dog is for and that is also covered by the Federal law. So do your self a favor and knowing that you have internet access educate your self and do a search on the Americans with disabilities act ( name of the law) and read it or contact your congress person and ask them to send you a copy of the law and any publications about the law citing the service dog section...Oh and remember to hug your dog every day! <K9Piper a USAF Military Working Dog Handler 1970-74>
K9Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 12:14 AM   #19

For those of us former military folks who have a certified service dog read the American With Disabilities Act and you will find a section in the act ( the Federal Law ) that covers service dogs. In brief a service dog can not have access denied as long as it is with it's service user from any place in the USA. Not movie houses, hospitals , buildings , parks or even placed you want to dine at unless the animal is vicious or out of control. As per the law no one can even ask what the dog is trained for or what your disability is. That's the law so do your self a favor read it and know it.
Old 10-22-2014, 01:27 PM   #20

When I was hired by a major hotel chain, I had to take an online course regarding guests with disabilities. It included a section on service animals. They really emphasized that we could not ask what the animal is trained for. There are other animals besides dogs that can be service animals. I don't remember most of them, but I do remember that miniature horses can be trained as a service animal. Didn't say what they trained them to do.

There were also sections about assisting guests with disabilities in case of emergencies and for special equipment that we were required to provide. Of course we had rooms with roll-in showers and lower vanities, etc., and also we had special devices that we could attach to a phone to flash a light if the phone rang. Also a device that could be hung over the door (on the inside) that would detect someone knocking on the door and flash a light.

I am still wondering what a miniature horse would be trained for.
jrwitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 11:15 PM   #21

ahhhhhh movies?......I know I'm bad
Old 10-23-2014, 09:58 PM   #22

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
here in texas we do have some great perks
minimum 60% disabled veteran
free entry to state parks, not camping
free parking at all airports most are unlimited in time, love field is 45 days while dfw has no time limit at ANY parking area

free drivers license even non com class B
free hunt and fish license
property taxes on 100% DAV is zero dollars up to 26 acres
other ratings are tiered

one vehicle with DV plates are 3 dollars per year, I put mine on the heaviest vehicle...the bus.
free passage on state owned toll roads, if you have DV plates
most of the other toll roads are free but the north texas toll authority in dallas does not waive the toll
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 02:02 PM   #23

A miniature horse is no larger than a Large Service dog they can be guide horses for the blind, pick up dropped items for wheelchair bound folks even pull the wheelchair, and many other tasks a Service dog can do but can also carry heavier items for their handler like O2 tanks and such.

I till am not locked into a choice on what I want A RV or just move to another State Tx,Az, NM, for dark skies. Family issues are pushing me to at least move to another state and rent a home to get away from the stress of Family. I even added the consideration of buying a Fifth Wheel Trailer pay some one to haul it and set it up at a decent park in one of those States that allow long term stays 6-12 months or longer and save for a better RV.
EdwardMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 07:46 AM   #24

Stopped in at Cass Blanco state park in Laredo,TX yesterday, and showed them my VA card, and I got the entrance fee waived, and they made me up a card that's gets me in free to any Texas state park from now on. How nice. Still have to pay for camping, but it does help. I thought that was mighty nice of the State of Texas to give a South Dakota resident that card.
RVM #104
Dasmoeturhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 01:12 PM   #25

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bravesoles View Post
Edward, I am new to this forum but very familiar with 100% Disabled Veterans Issues. My husband is 100% disabled veteran P&T and I am his VA certified caregiver. We live in New Mexico and the benefits this state offer have been helpful. If you are 100% disabled veteran you pay zero property taxes, you get 3 free state camping passes a year, one deer hunting tag free (if drawn) and free hunting/fishing license. I can tell you we have never had one issue with the VA hospital here in Albuquerque, NM. Here in Albuquerque we are at 5000 feet elevation so we get some snow in the winter (usually melts same day) and the summers cool off at night, unlike Arizona. Our state is truly the Land of Enchantment and I am a California transplant. You also get permanent disabled license plates and pay no registration fees if you are 50% disabled veteran or more. You can ride our ABQ ride buses for free if you show your VA card and as a 100% disabled veteran you have access to Kirtland Air Force Base that has a newly renovated BX. New Mexico is very dog friendly and we have many dog parks and restaurants that allow all dogs. I cannot say enough about our state and how friendly they are to our disabled veterans and their service animals. Good luck in your adventures and if you need more information about our area just ask. Definitely get a replacement Access card as this will give you many discounts throughout the USA.
Hi Edward and welcome to IRV2....in addition to the ABQ Ride system, you can now ride the Rail Runner for free with your VA card. You can visit the New Mexico Department of Veterans' Services website to get more information on state benefits for veterans. NM really is a veteran friendly state (not to mention beautiful) and is contantly looking at ways to better serve those who served. Reach out to a local VA service officer to learn more about what benefits you have earned.

Once again welcome and thank you for your service!!! Oh yeah, happy RV hunting
Reng8d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 09:27 AM   #26

Edward, PM'd you
Old 03-09-2015, 01:21 PM   #27

TY for all the replies, I just wish I could make up my mind on stick and brick or RV, can not do both with current finances but I am finally almost out of debt, last debt is $8,000 car loan should be debt free in 17 months or less.
EdwardMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 06:27 AM   #28

FWIW - If I had a medical problem that required regular medical visits I would go S&B and figure out how to get some travel in. It costs less and makes your medical treatment a lot easier.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
disabled