Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Military / Veteran RVing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-12-2017, 10:31 AM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Schweikle View Post
Sounds like possibly a U-2 with the big fuel tanks out on the wings?
Could well have been George. I did a google search for NASA aircraft and got a lot but not this one . Possibly too new. I didn't see it land but it taxied up the runway turned and left. Musta got fuel ? I had no idea NASA had experimental craft. I must live in a cave LOL
capecodbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-12-2017, 12:23 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My favorite ground shaking story involves the Buff. I was awakened by my bunk shaking like a leaf in the wind. As I looked over the cube, I noticed that my small refrigerator was walking itself across the plywood floor and was almost to the end of it's cord. The vibration continue for a couple of minutes more. The 52's were making an extended apparently multi aircraft run somewhere north of Saigon and we were getting to feel it.
VSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 12:38 PM   #17

Back in 2009 we were in a CG next to 'bombing' area in Yuma

Didn't know it until one AM when Loud BOOM caught our attention followed by ground shaking......carried on for couple of days.

Reminded me of being in engine room of Destroyer when 5" mount was chucking shells
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 03:04 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
f4’s, 111’s & thuds always made the best sounding takeoff rolls back in the day; buffs were ground shaking and b57’s were screamers.

loved jp4 smell in the air.
Radacravitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 06:25 AM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumpster808 View Post
Rode submarines for living but had a chance to ride in P51 couple years back. Will always be glad I partially melted the credit card [emoji33]

The simulated strafing run coming in at probably 45 deg angle and pushing over 400 before leveling out about 50 feet off the runway and just about straight up at the other end is something I’ll never forget. Quite the rush.

Would love to do a jet but that may never be possible so was close enough.

With all the noise inside a sub I sleep through most things as well. Unless it is considered “abnormal” sound I sleep right through.
I was on a sub for 45 dys keeping watch after it was decommed. ALL ALONE. Talk about creepy . 24 on and 48 of with 2 FN's. Could sleep all we wanted just tour every 4hrs. USS Tursk in Boston. She;s now a museum in Baltimore.
Old 12-13-2017, 06:35 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by flywithcoop View Post
Wow! Talking about Jest Engine Noise. My best memory of working on The F-4 Phantom was when we launched the entire 8th TFW to go north for Linebacker I and then again for Linebacker II. 4 ship launches every few minutes for almost 30 minutes. We had another wing for help but can't remember it it was the 49th, the 366th TFW or some other fighter wing from the States.
Just gotta love those Phantoms. Was at sea on a destroyer and got a call to do an exercise with 2 of them just passing by. Search radar got them pretty far out . I was fire control radar in the MK 37 directer and we couldn't find 'em. I looked out the hatch and barely spotted their smoke, jumped back in and got lock jumped back out the hatch just in time to see them buzz us. Don't think they liked we had a lock ! LOL They were really skimming the water and I could see the flaps move so they just bumped over us and back on the deck. It was a WOW moment.

They were crazy Marine pilots !
Old 12-14-2017, 12:08 PM   #21

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
My back has plenty of Phantom bite marks. Was not fond of those Aim 9 missile fins but otherwise it was a good noise maker. LOL. Did 18 years on the Phantoms. After cross training did 1 year on F16s and 3 years on C-141s.
flywithcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 07:33 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by capecodbob View Post
Could well have been George. I did a google search for NASA aircraft and got a lot but not this one . Possibly too new. I didn't see it land but it taxied up the runway turned and left. Musta got fuel ? I had no idea NASA had experimental craft. I must live in a cave LOL

NASA has two long wings. The U2, which everyone knows. The other one is a variant of the B-57 called the WB-57. Sounds like that is what you saw. BTW, NASA has all kinds of experimental aircraft.

https://www.nasa.gov/missions/resear...7_feature.html
Pricejh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 07:12 AM   #23

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoC808 View Post
Gotta love the sound of freedom!
I have to agree with that. Very impressive when they do that.

Another impressive event.. Was on the beach at Detroit's Belle Isle when suddenly the ground started shaking....

Detroit Police Department's Tug o War team jogging by

I kid you not.. I'd hate to offend those tuggers.
Old 12-15-2017, 07:40 AM   #24

Yep. I just googled "NASA U2" and found this: https://www.nasa.gov/centers/armstro...-046-DFRC.html

The U2 sure looks different painted white

Quote:
Originally Posted by capecodbob View Post
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 10:14 AM   #25

Baaahahahah
DoC808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 11:43 AM   #26

We were at the famcamp on Barksdale AFB....B-52's doing touch an goes....can't get much better than that. I still have a short video in my photo album a the fly by.....reminds me of the old days stationed in Caribou Me. Sac command.
corjaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 11:51 AM   #27

Wish I was allowed into Famcamps but I only worked on A-7's for four years and don't qualify.
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 03:55 PM   #28

OK lets talk loud, I was a jet engine mechanic by trade for the 21 years active duty Navy and another 15 years as a Engine Tech. Rep. for NavAirSysCom. I got to work with some of the absolute best Navy and Marine Squadrons there were at the time. I stood on the flight deck by the cats when all manner of Navy Aircraft were shot off the pointy end with afterburners and without. On the hot spot or in the hush house (areas reserved for ground maintenance engine run-up to max power) so I've been literally within 10 feet of the tailend of those aircraft. All the Afterburner ones in max AB are loud, to the point of being painful but for me the winner of loud is the venerable A6 Intruder/Prowler . The A6 was a Navy/Marine aircraft which has now been retired from the fleet. I do not know what it was about those two non afterburning J52's but they were LOUD!

Now I am left with memories and bad tinnitus in both ears but would not change a thing if I could.
Bill