Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Military / Veteran RVing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-05-2016, 11:37 AM   #29

Howdy!

My hearing was tested before I ESTed out of the Army and was told it was bad, but at that time nothing they could do about it. I had good insurance on my job after getting out and they provided me with hearing aid years later. When I retired I tried to get a new set of hearing aids and found they now cost $8,000.00. With the help of a VA advocate near me I filed with the VA regarding my service related hearing lost. After five years they have now approved it and I have and appointment this month hopefully to get some new hearing aids.

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon
chiefneon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2017, 03:23 PM   #30

I forgot about this thread (old age I guess). I went about 3 or 4 weeks ago to a local VA clinic that has walk in for hearing testing 3 or 4 days a week. I had my hearing tested and was told yes, your hearing is bad but so what (basically). They said (which I knew) that I have a problem with high pitch sound/noises (I guess that includes my wife's voice?). They said hearing aids wouldn't help me in normal face to face communication, so they weren't giving me hearing aids.
Old 03-16-2017, 03:43 PM   #31

That's BS mine is high freq loss, only one ear and they gave me one, works great I wear it all the time.

Did they give you a letter stating service connected and a rating?
ransil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 03:57 PM   #32

Tiffin Owners Club
Agree thats BS. If you have a hearing loss below "normal hearing range" on VA hearing exam, your entitled to hearing aid(s). VA issued me two.....now I hear things I never did before. Can't say I like it either. It is what it is.
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 03:58 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ransil View Post
That's BS mine is high freq loss, only one ear and they gave me one, works great I wear it all the time.

Did they give you a letter stating service connected and a rating?
Each of my ears is equally bad.
I didn't get any paper work from them. The only rating I know of is from the handbook I got after registering with the VA, back in May of 2014. According to that I'm in priority group 6.

Looking through the section on am I eligible for hearing aids in that booklet, I'm not entitled to hearing aids.

The reason I finally decided to go to the VA for the hearing test, was from back around last Christmas, I was at my daughter's house in N.C. She was using a stud finder and both her and my wife told me how loud the thing was beeping, while I didn't hear a thing. According to the VA,something like that isn't a good enough reason to give hearing aids.
Old 03-16-2017, 06:10 PM   #34

Winnebago Owners Club
I got my HA's from a hearing and balance center. They offer multiple types, and allow you to try them and switch to another brand if they aren't working for you. My center includes all disposable supplies, including batteries, for the life if the HA's. I'm private pay, so the options are different than the VA may offer.

I started with Oticon's, which were really comfortable and had great sound quality but did not have a volume adjustment. After one day at my Granddaughters dance competition, I decided volume control was a requirement.

I switched to Starkey Halo's which have an Iphone app to control them. I can adjust the volume on each side independent of the other - very nice when seating next to the loud family in a restaurant. And they have the husband...eh Mute... setting so that I can turn them off as needed. Full blue tooth, so I can stream from my cell, IPad, IPhone etc. They are a bit bigger than the Oticon's, but I find they stay in the ear better.

Just remember - be careful what you wish for. After almost a lifetime of hearing loss, it's hard to get used to how much noise there is in the world.
rmbmrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 05:01 PM   #35

I just got some paperwork today for my Feb. 21 visit for my hearing test. It was a bill in the mail for $50, for my outpatient care. I was foolishly under the impression that my visit wouldn't cost anything, and no one had bothered to mention there was going to be a charge.
Old 03-17-2017, 05:34 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mich F View Post
I just got some paperwork today for my Feb. 21 visit for my hearing test. It was a bill in the mail for $50, for my outpatient care. I was foolishly under the impression that my visit wouldn't cost anything, and no one had bothered to mention there was going to be a charge.
I just re read this thread, did you file a disability claim, I mentioned it using the DAV on the other page. Once they review your claim they will schedule you an hearing test to back up the claim, the DAV should help you file. That should be step 1, if you have any medical records backing up hearing loss while active take that with you.
ransil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 05:47 PM   #37

Mid Atlantic Campers
Mich F.... Please go back and reread my posts to you. Go to the DAV and file a claim for tinnitus.
Old 03-17-2017, 05:59 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmbmrm View Post
I got my HA's from a hearing and balance center. They offer multiple types, and allow you to try them and switch to another brand if they aren't working for you. My center includes all disposable supplies, including batteries, for the life if the HA's. I'm private pay, so the options are different than the VA may offer.

I started with Oticon's, which were really comfortable and had great sound quality but did not have a volume adjustment. After one day at my Granddaughters dance competition, I decided volume control was a requirement.

I switched to Starkey Halo's which have an Iphone app to control them. I can adjust the volume on each side independent of the other - very nice when seating next to the loud family in a restaurant. And they have the husband...eh Mute... setting so that I can turn them off as needed. Full blue tooth, so I can stream from my cell, IPad, IPhone etc. They are a bit bigger than the Oticon's, but I find they stay in the ear better.

Just remember - be careful what you wish for. After almost a lifetime of hearing loss, it's hard to get used to how much noise there is in the world.

My Oticons were $6000 for the pair. How much were your Starkeys if you don't mind. I could use volume adjustment and blue tooth!
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 06:14 PM   #39

Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docschro98 View Post
Ask for the tv doohickey. Listen to tv through your hearing aids with the tv volume turned all the way down. The brand I received were "Resound". Outstanding with all of the before mentioned Bluetooth capabilities. Can even create favorite settings and have your hearing aids change settings a block before reaching a destination.. Outstanding as far as I'm concerned.
The problem with the TV doohickey is the sound doesn't come to you the same time as the TV unless the TV sound is muted or turned all the way down. If you and your wife are watching together and the volume is turned up, the sound has an echo.
RWeigant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 06:21 PM   #40

Be aware that they have access (arrangements) to various brands and models of hearing aids. You can request any brand you choose when the VA has access to them.
It seems that local audiologist have a preference to a certain brand mostly for their convience and push that brand. However I could request any brand I desired.
I was told this by a new audiologist one time when I told her I had been doing better with another brand. So on my second go around(every 4-5 years they are replaced) I now have my requested brand.
My first pair took about 6 weeks to get in Florida
Old 03-18-2017, 05:07 AM   #41

Winnebago Owners Club
The Starkeys were the same price as the Oticons.
rmbmrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 06:53 AM   #42

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWeigant View Post
The problem with the TV doohickey is the sound doesn't come to you the same time as the TV unless the TV sound is muted or turned all the way down. If you and your wife are watching together and the volume is turned up, the sound has an echo.
You are correct on there being a delay on the HA BT xmit feature. I watch a TV in another room then one DW is using. The syn delay between audio and video is hardly noticeable. And an added plus is not having to be interrupted with, "Did you.......??"
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote