Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Military / Veteran RVing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-23-2013, 05:54 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridakamper View Post
I was in Home Depot today and was told that effective Monday, the military discount would only be valid on purchases up to $200 (max $20 discount. The manager of my local store told me he hoped vets would accept the change as a "positive" because Home Depot supports homeless vet initiatives. I told him I do not view it as a positive change. We just got back home after our summer trip up the east coast and when we got home, a number of appliances and electronics were not working probable because of a voltage surge while we were gone. I went to HD to buy a new dish washer. They have a 10% off sale on appliances going on and when I asked for my military discount on the purchase they said no other discount other than the 10% being offered to all customers. That's when the HD employee told me about the change that's happening on Monday. He said stores in military towns like Jacksonville and Norfolk were losing big revenue because of the discount to military families. I hope this isn't nationwide but if it is, it's another reason to spend our money in Lowe's or other places that do give the discount.
I recently purchased a washer and dryer and shopped at both Home Depot and Lowes, neither store would give military discount on sale priced items.

I am humbled by the generosity of both Lowes and Home Depot for their military discount, never. would I criticize a business for having limits on discounts to me that I never expected, but deeply appreciate
MT Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2013, 05:15 AM   #44
KJB

For us, Home Depot is much more convenient than Lowes because of location so we shop there frequently. Never had a problem getting the military discount on any purchase amount and never had a problem with their service.
KJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 04:35 AM   #45

HD Military Discount

Home Depot has a new policy and yes I have checked this out at 2 different HD's in South Florida, fort Pierce and Fort Lauderdale. First you must now register at the Service Counter in any store to receive the HD ID for the discount, The discount is offered to: Active Duty, Retired Military and Disabled Military. It is not offered to any Veteran with just a VA ID card. Further, HD advises they are now interfaced with DOD and check the applicant.
captainchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 05:08 AM   #46

Workhorse Chassis Owner
captainchuck, when we were in Fort Myers Beach, I had to register as you described. When I got home to the Fleming Island/Jacksonville area, they were not using that system and still are not. This is a big military area and I've discovered the limitations on the military discount here are not nationwide for Home Depot. This past weekend I purchased some plants and was told the military discount does not apply to plants. For those that have voiced the opinion that we shouldn't expect a military discount, I agree but I also think we should patronize the stores that do give it as a thank you for their generosity. In this area Lowes offers the discount on plants and on purchases over $200. When given the choice to make a purchase at Home Depot or Lowes, I'll make it at Lowes.
Floridakamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 04:35 AM   #47

Home Depot Military Discount - Explained by HD

Below is the Home Depot Military Discount explanation as copied directly from the Atlanta home office reply to my personal inquiry. Let there be no further question about the company policy, this is it in detail.

The Home Depot is dedicated to supporting and honoring our men and women
in uniform through our business practices, recruitment efforts and
corporate contributions. We are happy to offer a discount to thank our
nation?s heroes for their outstanding service and to help make their
homes more comfortable and safe.

We offer a ?Year Round/Every Day? 10% Military Discount to active,
National Guard, Coast Guard and Reserves, retired or disabled veterans
and their immediate family members, who present the following valid
military ID?s:

*Common Access Card (CAC) - Issued as standard identification for
active-duty military personnel
*Veteran?s Identification Card (VIC) - Must state ?Service Connected?
for disabled veterans
*Uniformed Services ID Card- Identifies members of the Armed Forces or
dependent's such as a child/spouse
*Tan - Dependent of active duty member, retiree, or disabled veteran
*Red/Pink - Retired reservist and reservist dependent
*Blue - Retiree or disabled veteran - this can include civilians who
retired from working on a Military Base

Terms and Conditions:
-You must ask for the Military Discount at the time of purchase and it
does not apply to previous purchases.
-The discount is available on in-stock, special order merchandise and
online purchases. ($500 maximum)
-This discount cannot be applied with any other discount, promotion,
coupon or tax exemptions.
-This discount is not available for Installation Services or for
deliveries from the store or the service provider.
-PRO customers cannot apply this discount to their business transactions
or pay with their business accounts.
-Certain SKUs and ?Pro Pack? items are not eligible to receive the
discount. Our register systems are updated to support this policy and
the receipt will show which items were not discounted. Many of the
products we sell have a unique pricing model, including commodity goods
such as lumber, etc. As commodity prices fluctuate, we will at times
exclude certain SKUs within specific departments from receiving the
military discount.

Note: ?Pro Packs? are already discounted as they are items sold in bulk

If you would like to utilize the Military discount online, please
contact our Online Customer Service team at 1-800-430-3376 and speak
with a representative for assistance with your online purchase. Their
hours of operation are Monday - Saturday 6 am ? 12 am (EST) and 7 am ?
11 pm on Sunday.

If previous discounts were applied to transactions without meeting these
requirements, the associates went above and beyond in their efforts to
satisfy your request.

For our customers who do not qualify for the ?Year Round/Every Day? 10%
Military Discount, our ?Holiday? 10% Military Discount is honored for
ALL Military personnel and their immediate family members on Memorial
Day, Fourth of July and Veterans' Day. Customers can present ANY valid
Military ID, including the form DD-214 and ask for the discount at the
time of purchase.

Again, we are terribly sorry if the terms of the policy do not permit
all to partake in the discount year-round. We certainly do not mean for
the policy to cause any inconvenience and it is only meant to serve as a
thank you.

If you feel that you qualify for the ?Every Day? Military Discount, and
the policy was not followed properly, please feel free to provide a copy
of this email to the corresponding store. If the store has any further
questions they may contact Customer Care directly.

We here at The Home Depot are dedicated to supporting and honoring our
men and women in uniform through our business practices, recruitment
efforts and corporate contributions.

Sincerely,

The Home Depot-Customer Care
2455 Paces Ferry Rd
Atlanta GA 30339 1-800-553-3199
thdCustomerCare@homedepot.com
captainchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 05:08 AM   #48

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainchuck View Post
Terms and Con-The discount is available on in-stock, special order merchandise and
online purchases. ($500 maximum)
Thanks for that info captainchuck but it does not apply to ALL Home Depot stores. The Atlanta corporate offices confirmed that our stores in the Jacksonville area and others are participating in a pilot program to limit the military discount. Just as a case in point the above states the discount is available on purchases up to a $500 maximum. If you call the Fleming Island, FL store at (904) 541-0114, they'll tell you the maximum is $200. Again, Home Depot can change the discount any they want.
Floridakamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 05:18 AM   #49

Winnebago Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridakamper View Post
Thanks for that info captainchuck but it does not apply to ALL Home Depot stores. The Atlanta corporate offices confirmed that our stores in the Jacksonville area and others are participating in a pilot program to limit the military discount. Just as a case in point the above states the discount is available on purchases up to a $500 maximum. If you call the Fleming Island, FL store at (904) 541-0114, they'll tell you the maximum is $200. Again, Home Depot can change the discount any they want.
there "pilot" program is see how much less/more buisness they get but lowering the discount. as a 100%DAV, i am thankful for discounts that are given to fellow vets, but i do prefer to go to lowe's. best thing to do, is inform fellow vets to help put out there flame on there pilot.
Old 12-04-2013, 05:46 AM   #50

Is 10 cents on the dollar really going to bust them?

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 11:01 PM   #51

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
[QUOTE=MO Fred;1792470]Not sure if you know what a Menards is. It somewhat resembles Lowes and Home Depot, selling many of the same products. I asked for a military discount at the register and they said they do not give one. I recommend no military or anyone else shop at Menards.

I shop mainly at Home Depot because it is close by. Very seldom am I denied a military discount, then usually only on sale items.

Menards, on the other hand, [cover your ears] P!ZZ me off! and seldom will I shop there. Reason is a couple of years ago, I happened to be Menards [them and Lowes are about 50 miles away from me], and asked for and denied a military discount. No big deal.

It being Veteran's Day, I took it upon myself to email the HQ and inquire about it.

The reply was well beyond nasty and rude, certainly not becoming an executive of a large corp. Basically chastising me as a 20 year, service connected veteran, for even requesting that they single out military for any kind of a discount! I decided right then and there that Home Depot and Lowes deserved my money more than Menards.
Rant off.
Greg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 04:56 AM   #52
KJB

[QUOTE=Greg2;1853677]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MO Fred View Post
Not sure if you know what a Menards is. It somewhat resembles Lowes and Home Depot, selling many of the same products. I asked for a military discount at the register and they said they do not give one. I recommend no military or anyone else shop at Menards.
Not to be argumentative and I respect your opinion but Menards is one of my favorite stores. In the past year we put hardwood flooring throughout our home and it all came from Menards. Home Depot where I also shop a lot had the same brand flooring but even with the 10% veterans discount I would have paid considerably more for the flooring. I buy where they have the product I want at the price I’m willing to pay.
KJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 04:36 PM   #53

Long time lurker on this site, but this topic drove me to join so I could comment. I'm irritated at the level of entitlement that is displayed in many of these post.

I understand that vets have sacrificed. I know this as I own a vet owned and run comany, I have been to the sandbox as an infantrymen, and my wife (AKA "the Col" or "panty-six" as I call her) is spinning up for her third deployment for many moons to come.

That said, any discount that is given, by any retail group, is a descision that costs the companies money. Many of these very same companies are getting hit with the costs associated with having their own employees deploy (i.e. new training to fill the vacancy, and with that comes the understanding that the new hire will have to move on when the soldier returns). When did we Vets start to DEMAND price cuts for goods and services. I am not being a troll here, I just get frustrated at the sense of entitlement. I guess for my generation, enlisting was an option and there was not a draft. We made the choice to join, and do not feel that the world owes us for our duty.
Rant-Off
Handloader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 04:58 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by howdja View Post
Folks, let's remember, the discount that HD and Lowes offer to the service connected vets with disability ratings, is a totally voluntary effort on the part of the stores. It is not a right. If they should make the decision to limit the discount, then it is a result of the difficult financial times our country is in.

Let's step back and think about this. We should be grateful to them for the generous discount they have offered. If there are some of you in business, when is the last time you offered a 10% discount to vets? I don't get a discount at the grocery store, or the tire store, or the mechanics garage, or utility billing, etc.

So, I for one would like to express my appreciation to both Home Depot and Lowes for the substantial discount they allow the veterans.
Now this is what I like to see, someone grateful for receiving something and not being closed-minded about it. Some people are just me, me, me. Merry Christmas everyone and a happy, healthy 2014. Just MHO
mcbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 05:11 PM   #55

Entegra Owners Club
I to am a veteran, I never ever ask for a discount. I have had places see my USAA card and offer it, I always refuse it.

I own a small business and only offer a free cup of coffee. I'm ashamed of the entitlement comments here. Anything they give veterans is better than nothing and a reduction in a discount is in NO WAY a flag to boycott anyone who for MANY years has bent over backwards to assist military members and still continues to do so in other ways.
Mario-John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 04:58 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdzgon View Post
We were recently denied the military discount in our local HD because we weren't "registered for it online". Not sure when the policy changed or how to register online, as I couldn't find any reference to a military discount registration online. DH has a service-connected disability.
I have a service connected card and have never been refused at either Home Depot or Lowes in any city. I have had a few employees hesitate until I point out the service connected notation on my VA ID. That is also how it is stated on the policy quoted in another post here.
HDRoadking is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
disabled rvers, handicapped