RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Military / Veteran RVing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-13-2013, 01:00 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Home Depot Discount Changing

I was in Home Depot today and was told that effective Monday, the military discount would only be valid on purchases up to $200 (max $20 discount. The manager of my local store told me he hoped vets would accept the change as a "positive" because Home Depot supports homeless vet initiatives. I told him I do not view it as a positive change. We just got back home after our summer trip up the east coast and when we got home, a number of appliances and electronics were not working probable because of a voltage surge while we were gone. I went to HD to buy a new dish washer. They have a 10% off sale on appliances going on and when I asked for my military discount on the purchase they said no other discount other than the 10% being offered to all customers. That's when the HD employee told me about the change that's happening on Monday. He said stores in military towns like Jacksonville and Norfolk were losing big revenue because of the discount to military families. I hope this isn't nationwide but if it is, it's another reason to spend our money in Lowe's or other places that do give the discount.

Floridakamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2013, 01:04 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridakamper View Post
I was in Home Depot today and was told that effective Monday, the military discount would only be valid on purchases up to $200 (max $20 discount. The manager of my local store told me he hoped vets would accept the change as a "positive" because Home Depot supports homeless vet initiatives. I told him I do not view it as a positive change. We just got back home after our summer trip up the east coast and when we got home, a number of appliances and electronics were not working probable because of a voltage surge while we were gone. I went to HD to buy a new dish washer. They have a 10% off sale on appliances going on and when I asked for my military discount on the purchase they said no other discount other than the 10% being offered to all customers. That's when the HD employee told me about the change that's happening on Monday. He said stores in military towns like Jacksonville and Norfolk were losing big revenue because of the discount to military families. I hope this isn't nationwide but if it is, it's another reason to spend our money in Lowe's or other places that do give the discount.
With a Lowe's card while shopping HD, HD will give you 5% to match the Lowe's discount for using the card when using your HD card.

chuckinthebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 01:08 PM   #3

I will go to Lowes from now on.
kekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 01:17 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
I've always gone to Lowes instead of my local HD. My reason is the quality of service I always get at Lowes and seems to be lacking at the local HD.
Lowes will match other prices and give the 10% Military discount or the match + 10%, but not both.

Just bought one of their 5x8 utility trailers on a price match and with my military discount I paid $559 and change out the door instead of the $669. + tax.

Anyone asked Lowes if they're going to go the way of HD?
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 01:41 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtjoe View Post
Anyone ask Lowes if they're going to go the way of HD?
I went to Lowes for my purchase and asked if they were going to limit the military discount and they said they were not. Time will tell.
Floridakamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 01:51 PM   #6
laj

oh this is going to be interesting. the ones that are leaving hd because cant get free money will hit head on those that are leaving lowes for correct firing. major crash in the middle. anyone got a third choice when your pissed off at both? lmao.
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 01:56 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Up in the north east there was a third choice. Menard's. But as soon as Lowe's shut down in the medium town then Menard's stopped the discount. The only reason they did offer it was because they were losing vets to the Lowe's. But Lowe's could not completely compete with them and ended up closing the store so no more discounts in the area unless you want to drive 45 mins to 1 1/2 hrs to the nearest big towns.
Old 10-13-2013, 03:32 PM   #8

If I know what I'm looking for, I go to Lowes. If I need help finding it they're great. If I need advice on a project I go to ACE but only the one I worked at back in the day. For some reason that store seems to attract employees that know what they're doing.

If I just want to wander aimlessly I go to HD.

I don't really care about discount unless I'm buying a big ticket item aka $50 and up.
VetRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 03:40 PM   #9

For appliances check out RC Willey if there is one near you. Great prices & great service.
Other than that, check for a large-ish local retailer of appliances. Most mid size towns have one that seems to move a whale of a lot of merchandise and can offer better prices than off the rack big box outfits do w/their massive ad budgets.
Old 10-13-2013, 03:56 PM   #10

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
FloridaKamper

Was this the one on 220. I just bought a Dyer today at HD on Brannon Chaffee and they didn't say anything.
Dave
Capn_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 04:05 PM   #11

So true. Lowes is much better than HD. Customer service is lacking at both stores but Lowes has more "stuff"
Mossy cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 05:09 PM   #12

Home Depot changing

Just e-mailed Home depot in Atlanta. They still honor the discount and have no reason or policy to stop the 10% discount for military.
As long as you have a valid ID card you will be given the discount.
If you are still in doubt I suggest you e-mail or telephone Home Depot in Atlanta.
bj32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 05:26 PM   #13

Just goes to show you how we can all jump on the band wagon just because one person had a bad experience with one store somewhere. Always best to check it out with the home office before making assumptions. Local managers have major responsibility for profits so I'm guessing that they sometimes make decisions at the local level to boost profits. Always had good experiences with HD and Lowes.
lsparksrec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 05:36 PM   #14

In CT you will only get the military discount at Lowe's if you have a service connected disabled, also true in Deland FL.

Budski is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
disabled rvers, handicapped