Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Military / Veteran RVing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-28-2017, 09:42 AM   #15

We have hosted at two AF FamCamps; we have been at our most recent assignment for about 1.5 years (I am still AD). Now, we are North so we don't have the snowbirds traffic but huge summer tourism. We are sold out every weekend from May through Sept.

First rule to know, as stated above, every FamCamp is entitled to "freedom of operation to accommodate their customer base". Typically, anyone who can access the base, can stay in a FamCamp. This includes other federal agencies and some state offices too. Rank does not mean priority but you would be surprised by the "Lieutenant effect", LOL.

We take reservations up to a year in advance (again big tourism events) but reservations are only taken 0900-1300 Mon-Fri. Some other bases tie their reservations into their billeting which offer 24/7 reservations

Here we have 30 day stay limit, exceptions made for PCS in or out and outbound retirees. We do stay year round as seasonal hosts then off season care takers, providing security and light maitenance. Also we manage all winter check ins, less than 50 campers in the entire off season.

Realize that often FamCamp managers and reservationists (not hosts) are not Rvers and you may want to offer pertinent information like size of larger rigs, traveling with lots of kids (had one with 8 kids last week) or especially people with mobility issues. Ask about gate, commisary, dining hall, etc hours before arriving. As Rvers we have educated the leadership here quite a bit but remember many FamCamps are considered an FSS community service, not managed like a KOA. For example, to fix an electrical or water issue is prioritized on the base. I think we would all agree, the mission is the priority.

We use Militarycampgrounds.com when traveling but realize the visitors reviews may offer out dated or sometimes inaccurate information. Always call before assuming the important things (to you).

FamCamps are a great benefit for military (past and present) with security and base perks. The crowds are always respectful and we all have that unique connection.
MGrawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2017, 03:17 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kro1957 View Post
I checked out the Fam Camp at Mac Dill and they started booking 15 months out. Does anyone know if that is the norm with southern FamCamps? I got our name on stand by but would rather have firm place to land come next winter. Thanks James
James
The new rules are one year for AD,and first come first serve for all others. If you travel much you might like to order a Military RV and Camping&Outdoor Recreation book around the world. includes golf courses&marinas.you can buy on line at Military Living.com or BX etc I have the new book 2016 and it has all the info you need. Also I fly space A quite a bit and use that book also. I called for four months to get an RV spot at Fiddler's Cove on Coronado Navel Base checked in 3 times a week and got a spot right on the water because a Active Duty person cancelled so you just never give up.
Maj.Bill
sandman1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 11:02 PM   #17

Quote:
I checked out the Fam Camp at Mac Dill and they started booking 15 months out. Does anyone know if that is the norm with southern FamCamps? I got our name on stand by but would rather have firm place to land come next winter. Thanks James

They have become full of homesteaders. Not worth effort .
carlgorski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 09:14 AM   #18

I think the AF may be cracking down on the homesteaders. The last 2 Famcamps we've stayed at had really poor reviews online and comments about the long-term folks being booted out. We showed up and can confirm that it was true. What's sad is that Famcamps COULD be great money makers for the base if managed correctly. Have sites set aside for the long-termers and sites for the people just passing through. Enforce some kind of appearance standards so it doesn't become a eyesore and it's a win-win. Doesn't look like most bases have much interest in making the effort though...
Wire D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 07:59 AM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
MGrawe, Thanks for some honest info. In our experience famcamps operate under their own rules. Thanks for explaining how they can do that. Always wondered how they got away with NOT following the regs.
flywithcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 05:52 PM   #20

Speaking of Regs. Most if not all of the homesteaders at MacDill are active duty. According to afi 34-110 active duty assigned to the base are not allowed in the famcamp, but obviously it isn't being enforced at MacDill. There is a movement to get that changed, but it may have to go to sec. of the Airforce to get it enforced.
Rollin101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 01:09 PM   #21

Tiffin Owners Club
AD duty are pretty much taking over MWR RV parks in hi cost of living areas.
Wonder why this is. Check this BAH calculator for monthly BAH rates.
Use Key West zip code for starters: 33040
If I was still AD, I'd be in the RV park too.
But it is causing bad blood as their turning a vacation site into base trailer park.

https://militarybenefits.info/bah-calculator/
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 05:52 AM   #22

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Do you guys remember back in the day when we called them "lifers" and couldn't get in the commissary due to all the lifers and retirees clogging up the place. We were the lifers and now the retirees! LOL. Personally I never thought of using a famcamp when on AD. I couldn't have afforded any kind of RV on my pay. Always rented some dump off base.
Old 10-22-2017, 08:00 AM   #23

From talking with some of the AD folks in the Famcamps, they have some pretty good reasons for being there. Some had just PCS'd in and were waiting for a house to be built. Some were still looking for just the right house. And some were there unaccompanied so they didn't have to uproot their families from a previous assignment (for a variety of reasons). I don't blame them for thinking outside the box. It does make it tougher for those of us who need a place for a few days though.
Old 11-03-2017, 06:13 AM   #24

Thor Owners Club
Fam Camps for AD

In the military world, Active Duty always trumps a Retiree, Guard, Reserve, DOD civ. and that is the way it should be.
As resources become more challenging, taking care of the active force will always make it more challenging for us retirees.
Finding more active duty in Fam Camps, there are a host of reasons. Some can be due to the length of the tour, availability of housing, the immediate community housing and quality of life. The Air Force for example sets out AFI's which are supplemented by MAJCOM's and most often left room for local commanders to set policy based on specific needs to the base.
Kro1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 10:06 AM   #25

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Bottom line as to when to book a Famcamp is "As soon as you can" if the Famcamp even accepts reservations. A lot of them are first come first served.
Old 12-03-2017, 06:33 AM   #26

Thor Owners Club
I have noticed some famcamps go from Res system to first come first serve in Winter

Coming down, both fam camps are now on first come first serve basis. I know Offutt takes reservations when in season. We got a spot and there were a dozen RV'ers there.

Down at Lackland Fam Camp it was rougher. FULL so we went into the over flow area and out the next day. Seen Active Duty staying in the camp. Same at Offutt,

I know on a few assignments when I was on Active duty, we used the fam camps also while getting settled into the community. Lackland's camp is small for the size of the military community and retiree population and given the popularity of the area. They really could use increased space and improvements.

We are now in our winter location RGV Texas. Cheers
Kro1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 10:46 AM   #27

Quote:
Coming down, both fam camps are now on first come first serve basis. I know Offutt takes reservations when in season. We got a spot and there were a dozen RV'ers there.

Down at Lackland Fam Camp it was rougher. FULL so we went into the over flow area and out the next day. Seen Active Duty staying in the camp. Same at Offutt,

I know on a few assignments when I was on Active duty, we used the fam camps also while getting settled into the community. Lackland's camp is small for the size of the military community and retiree population and given the popularity of the area. They really could use increased space and improvements.

We are now in our winter location RGV Texas. Cheers
I think I read somewhere that they added sewer to all the sites at Lackland. Can you confirm? Last time I was there "overflow" was just water/electric. Is "overflow" dry camping now? We'll be heading that way in a week or so and may end up at Lackland for a few days.
Old 12-04-2017, 04:21 PM   #28

Nor'easters Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
We'll be at Keesler this winter (leaving to head south in two days.)

We'd called MacDill and the guy laughed and said that there was no way we could spend the season at this late a date. Keesler was a lot more accommodating and I like the Biloxi/Gulfport area anyway.
nehog is offline   Reply With Quote