Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Military / Veteran RVing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-20-2014, 06:49 PM   #15

And thank you alethaj,

It's a fine thing indeed to have served with you and all our military brothers and sisters. I'm proud of every one of us!

Harry
foodsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2014, 04:18 PM   #16

I am retired AF. Retired in 1979. We spent a lot of time on the road but then, due to medical issues, have been restricted to the Tucson area. That is no longer the case. We are getting ready to return to the road.

We sold our Gulfstream PTCruiser because it didn't look as though we were going to need it. Now I am refurbishing my very first RV, a 1969 Aristocrat 19' travel trailer.

I'll be checking in here regularly and I will be following this thread regarding treatment at the VA very closely.

A while back, I tried to register with the VA and they declared me ineligible. With all that has been going on, my wife believes that I should try again. I'll be doing that soon.
dusty 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 08:23 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusty 3 View Post
I am retired AF. Retired in 1979. We spent a lot of time on the road but then, due to medical issues, have been restricted to the Tucson area. That is no longer the case. We are getting ready to return to the road.

We sold our Gulfstream PTCruiser because it didn't look as though we were going to need it. Now I am refurbishing my very first RV, a 1969 Aristocrat 19' travel trailer.

I'll be checking in here regularly and I will be following this thread regarding treatment at the VA very closely.

A while back, I tried to register with the VA and they declared me ineligible. With all that has been going on, my wife believes that I should try again. I'll be doing that soon.
Why are you ineligible? I retired after 20yrs and have no problems.
Getting ready to hit the road, But still getting answers. So thanks for the help! 2006 Winnebago Sightseer 29R Ford F53. Roadmaster Eagle 8000. 2001 Ford F150 7700 4x4. Still shopping for toad brakes. FMCA F286179
bobandshaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 10:25 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
As a Military Service Retiree (whether it be 20 years or Medically retired) you are eligible for care. IF you are going to start a claim for Disability (Service Connected) you should establish yourself with a VA Medical Center that you will be near for minimum of 6 months. If you just want to get care, take in your DD-214, your current Govt Issued ID (Driver's License) and go to a VAMC and to the Eligibility Office. You should be able to get your ID and care. If you are under the Military Retiree Health Care called TRICARE. Check this link:Health Care for Retirees | Military.com Hope this helps.
jimpat4649 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 04:37 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandshaz View Post
Why are you ineligible? I retired after 20yrs and have no problems.
I have applied twice and twice I have been told I was ineligible because I make to much money.

I draw Social Security, an Air Force Retirement Check and a retirement check from a job that I took after AR retirement.
Old 06-07-2014, 04:47 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimpat4649 View Post
As a Military Service Retiree (whether it be 20 years or Medically retired) you are eligible for care. IF you are going to start a claim for Disability (Service Connected) you should establish yourself with a VA Medical Center that you will be near for minimum of 6 months. If you just want to get care, take in your DD-214, your current Govt Issued ID (Driver's License) and go to a VAMC and to the Eligibility Office. You should be able to get your ID and care. If you are under the Military Retiree Health Care called TRICARE. Check this link:Health Care for Retirees | Military.com Hope this helps.
I probably did not state my situation adequately. I am 75, enrolled with Medicare and Tricare for Life.

I feel as though I am adequately cared for but have always been a bit put out by the fact that I am considered ineligible for care at the VA. I did spend 22 years in the service thinking that that was where my medical care would come from.

Do not get me wrong. I recognize full well that having TCFL is a valuable benefit.
Old 06-07-2014, 04:51 PM   #21

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via AIM to Shellback1
You will qualify for tricare, not va due to your income. Once you hit 65 you get tricare for life. VA is for disabilities or for vets with low income, but they still pay for services.
Shellback1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 10:03 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellback1 View Post
You will qualify for tricare, not va due to your income. Once you hit 65 you get tricare for life. VA is for disabilities or for vets with low income, but they still pay for services.
It depends on how much income as to what they (and I) pay. Yes if you make too much then no you do not get the care from the VA. Unless you got in while they were doing a sign up when they did not care about income. My husband got in then and he is still grandfathered in. He also has private insurance that he uses thru his job thou so he is not just solely VA. I, on the other hand, am rated at 80% but get 60% disability due to the way they figure things.
Old 06-09-2014, 04:22 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrateSilly View Post
It depends on how much income as to what they (and I) pay. Yes if you make too much then no you do not get the care from the VA. Unless you got in while they were doing a sign up when they did not care about income. My husband got in then and he is still grandfathered in. He also has private insurance that he uses thru his job thou so he is not just solely VA. I, on the other hand, am rated at 80% but get 60% disability due to the way they figure things.
So I think you are telling me that I missed a window. If I had applied for eligibility right when I retired (and had no medical issues) that I would have been approved for care and would now still be eligible (grandfather rule).
Old 09-14-2014, 11:52 AM   #24

I am 100% p&t service connected and am concerned about my desire to try Full time RV lifestyle far as I know only medical care covered for me has to be connected to my disability of PTSD and related issues what happens if I get hurt like break a leg or something on the road and taken to a Civilian hospital instead of a VA hospital? I do not get Tricare as I was medically retired and have no civilian hospital insurance.
EdwardMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 10:34 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Since you are 100% p&t service connected you should not have any problems obtaining emergency care anywhere in the USA.
There is a brochure available titled: Traveling Veterans Healthcare. As Fulltime RVers ourselves, husband & I were given advice to establish Primary Care at ONE VA facility where you will visit at least once per year.
We travel northeast in summers and winter in Phoenix (6 months) where Primary Care is. MOST Rx are 90 days and change address for summers to our son who will send it along wherever we might be. Primary Care Doc wants blood work prior to Rx refill and order is written in my file and on appointment calendar. I contact the Patient Advocate at the VA where I will be visiting. Had to reassure that the results were to be reported to my Phoenix VA Primary Care and no follow-up needed by the VA performing the tests.

I also had to visit (non VA) ER for emergency care for a kidney stone, just informed them I was a "Traveling Vet" and no problems....other than the pain! You should notify your Primary Care MD as soon as possible, there may be a time limit for reporting.
jimpat4649 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 11:46 AM   #26

What is P&t ?
RVM #104
Dasmoeturhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 01:03 PM   #27

Harry:

I'd suggest you go onto the web-site of the Seattle Post-Intelligencer newspaper (www.seattlepi.com) and check out a reader blog calle "Rambling Man". The blogger, Jim Jaillet, is a full-timer of long experience and also ex-military. He has had several items in his stories over the last few months of getting a VA appointment for cataract operation while on the road full-time.

You may be able to PM him through the newspaper's web-site for more details.
Old 09-20-2014, 01:44 AM   #28

P&tT is permanent and Total
EdwardMH is offline   Reply With Quote