Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Military / Veteran RVing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-18-2015, 10:25 AM   #1

Is getting a DOD Service ID 2765 worth the effort

I am a Vietnam Vet and have been classified 10% service connected disabled since 1970. I was recently diagnosed with prostate cancer and my primary care physician whispered in my ear to go file a claim, which I did. I am going to be classified 100% disabled. Apparently that allows me to apply for a DOD Service ID 2765. I believe this will give me access to military campsites and may provide other advantages. Is the benefit worth the effort?

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
HDRoadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2015, 10:40 AM   #2

In answer to your question about is it worth the benefit: YES.
Go to US MILITARY CAMPGROUNDS.COM and you can view all the military campgrounds in every state. Just know that when winter hits the snowbirds are coming south too. Shopping Post Exchange and Commisary's and hospital. I am Retired US ARMY and we use Military Campgrounds whenever we can along the way. Very Secure, sometime they pull you over and run a dog thru RV but not a problem. Love the Safe feeling we get when we stay because the only way you get in a military base is with ID. Have a copy of your Vehicle Registration and Insurance ready, because you may have to go inside and register at some bases. Sometimes we call a head most of the times we just show up and never have had any problems getting in and the prices are reasonable too. Our Dog always has a playground.
Spirit2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 11:24 AM   #3

Question....

I have read posts on a few different sites about vets who developed prostate cancer and were awarded 100% disability but it was only temporary, usually about a year after their operation the VA will reevaluate them and adjust their disability percentage. My question is if someone was awarded a temporary disability of 100% and got a DoD card but was later down graded to (say70%) would they still keep their card ??
Larry 1190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 11:36 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry 1190 View Post
I have read posts on a few different sites about vets who developed prostate cancer and were awarded 100% disability but it was only temporary, usually about a year after their operation the VA will reevaluate them and adjust their disability percentage. My question is if someone was awarded a temporary disability of 100% and got a DoD card but was later down graded to (say70%) would they still keep their card ??

It is good for 60 days beyond your next stated examination date per your VA determination letter. I was verbally told I would not be reexamined for at least a year. That would seem to imply that you would have to renew if found to still be 100%.

Old 10-18-2015, 11:59 AM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to jdoc
HDRoadking, if you haven't done it yet you need get a letter from the Regional Office stating that you have Commissary privileges, then go to the closet base and get your card.

Jerry
Old 10-19-2015, 05:48 AM   #6

Vietnam Vet

Absolutely YES. Some of the most beautiful, well maintained and affordable camp grounds all over the country. Although I am sorry that you have experienced this condition, you will now find that you are entitled to numerous great benefits. Good luck. If you are in CA you also get a huge reduction on your home property tax, automobile registrations, etc. These add up to fabulous savings, not to mention fishing licenses, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRoadking View Post
I am a Vietnam Vet and have been classified 10% service connected disabled since 1970. I was recently diagnosed with prostate cancer and my primary care physician whispered in my ear to go file a claim, which I did. I am going to be classified 100% disabled. Apparently that allows me to apply for a DOD Service ID 2765. I believe this will give me access to military campsites and may provide other advantages. Is the benefit worth the effort?

truesdall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 09:45 PM   #7

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to jdoc
HDRoadking, please send me a private message I need to talk to you.

Jerry
Old 11-03-2015, 04:34 PM   #8

Well, I got my card today. What I find interesting is my DAV rep said I would not get the commissary letter because I was rated 100%, but only temporarily. He said to let him know if I did. Ten minutes later I had it, no questions ask. It did also tell me when my next physical for re-evaluation would occur. I assumed my card would be issued with an expiration of the two months after that date as an expiration. It was not. The expiration is "indef". I assume that if my rating goes down the card will be revoked electronically.

Old 11-10-2015, 08:02 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
If the card says INDEF, then it is INDEF. They aren't going to come get it. That said, Commissaries are starting to scan IDs electronically at checkout. Does that mean they are checking with the big database in the sky...don't think so, but I don't really know.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 11:07 PM   #10

If you are rated 100% your wife can also get the ID card although it expires every 5 or 7 years, can't remember right now and I am to lazy to get up and check her card over in her purse. As a previous post indicated, my card is Indef. We don't use the PX or Commissary since we can find better prices in town but the BOQ's and camping facilities are good.

Good luck on your health issue.
Helipilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 08:02 AM   #11

Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmharrop View Post
In answer to your question about is it worth the benefit: YES.
Go to US MILITARY CAMPGROUNDS.COM and you can view all the military campgrounds in every state. Just know that when winter hits the snowbirds are coming south too. Shopping Post Exchange and Commisary's and hospital. I am Retired US ARMY and we use Military Campgrounds whenever we can along the way. Very Secure, sometime they pull you over and run a dog thru RV but not a problem. Love the Safe feeling we get when we stay because the only way you get in a military base is with ID. Have a copy of your Vehicle Registration and Insurance ready, because you may have to go inside and register at some bases. Sometimes we call a head most of the times we just show up and never have had any problems getting in and the prices are reasonable too. Our Dog always has a playground.
What are they checking for explosives, drugs? We travel with weapons (like to shoot) so a dog is going to alert on us every time, that would be a pain. By the way, what is the DOD policy on bring weapons on post? I have been retired since 1993 but have just started RVing after retiring a second time and have not been on a post since 93.
boater1217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 06:10 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Most posts/bases say you must check the firearms in at the base armory. Fact is I have never been ask about weapons, the dog has never smelled the inside of the coach, and generally I don't ask questions that I don't want the answer to, so it doesn't come up.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 06:30 PM   #13

In 9 years we have only been security checked twice.
At Ft Hood in Texas. You go thru the security check point on the south side of the highway, come back thru the gate, cross the highway and thru the gate on the other side. When you exirt the south side the gaurd radios across to the other side with your plate# to let them know your clear. You must do it this way. Some days they drive you thru the x-ray bldg but usually they do a walk around with the big mirrors and the dog
Just in the last year you now just go thru the comooercial gastw at Ft Meade in MD. This past spring they walked the dog around the outside and waved us thru
Never had them board the rig
Nana25K is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
service