Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Military / Veteran RVing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-24-2012, 04:13 PM   #1
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
It was only a matter of time........

....before one of our men broke down.

It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2012, 04:36 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Wayne, Thanks (I'd say a lot more but it'd get political real quick)
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 04:52 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Sorry Wayne... but I got no sympathy for anyone who went psycho to that degree. the US authorities should just give him up to the locals to do with as their law provides.

Their is no way, no way in hell, the United States of America should try to shield that particular whacko.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 04:53 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
....before one of our men broke down.

Much as I want to reply In depth I can't. I grit my teeth and cry. Is this Viet Nam again? Send young men to HELL and when they crack blame them not the ones who sent them.
Hipshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 05:07 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipshot View Post
Much as I want to reply In depth I can't. I grit my teeth and cry. Is this Viet Nam again? Send young men to HELL and when they crack blame them not the ones who sent them.
he is not a young man. The gentleman was pushing forty. There is simply no excuse for this.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 05:21 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
When you are my age most other men are young. I do not excuse or condone what he did and he should and will be punished, but I do understand.
Hipshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 05:49 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM68 View Post
he is not a young man. The gentleman was pushing forty. There is simply no excuse for this.
???When you get to mid 60's, 40 is pretty young.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 06:47 PM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Sorry Wayne... but I got no sympathy for anyone who went psycho to that degree. the US authorities should just give him up to the locals to do with as their law provides.

Their is no way, no way in hell, the United States of America should try to shield that particular whacko.
I kind of laughed at the remark "went psycho at that degree" I worked Mental Hospital and Texas Prison system and when one goes phycho I don't think there's degree's,but what I really would like to know is did you serve and where and how.First I'm sorry this Solder did what he did and don't want the USA to take it lightly,but he needs help mentally and not be turned over to locals for any reason he volunterd and some time war,may get too you if you serve.The vets of Viet Nam came home to spitting and being cussed,thing's where said to our families and some of us would have got in trouble if our famillies had told us who said and did things towards them.Some came back and couldn't cope,many live's where lost after returning and they weren't counted in the 58,000+ so don't be too hard on those who break from what they see over there,again did you serve?
DBOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 06:50 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post
Wayne, Thanks (I'd say a lot more but it'd get political real quick)
Bob
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipshot View Post
Thanks to the two above as all I can add is "x2" on both. If there is to be critizism and judgement, let us honor what we were taught and give him the benifit of doubt. I hate it when the scaffold is built prior to the trial.
VSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 06:55 PM   #10
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:

Jim,
I think if you re-read the article you will find that sympathy is not toward the soldier that murdered 16 civilians. As a mater of fact the writer states that is just a matter of to what "degree" the murder was committed. He then goes on to state how disciplined our military forces are, and that it has taken this long before someone snapped. Insanity is still a plea in our legal system, if even only temporarily. I don't believe anyone condones the soldiers act.

As for giving up to the locals for their law, well, when the Afghan soldier while standing guard duty with an American soldier, put a round into the back of the American's head, that is exactly what the U.S. did. They handed the Afghan soldier over to the Afghan government on request. Indications are that they take care of such matters rather quickly - no court. So if that be the case, than tit-for-tat is that if it is a U.S. Serviceman it should be the U.S Services that have control of the punishment stages in accordance with OUR laws, not another nations laws.

Here is a little tidbit of information. While serving in Vietnam ('68-69) we were told that whenever we left the compound that the weapon must be unloaded. That is, a magazine could be inserted but no round in the chamber. Are you kidding me! That was a bureaucratic regulation, and trust me, whenever we left the compound we locked and loaded with a round in the chamber. So when you read the rest of the story of how the bureaucracy reports things, versus what they are being told from the field, I believe it. But that's my experience and nature.

Some things never change.
Old 03-24-2012, 07:12 PM   #11
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:

Jim,
I think if you re-read the article you will find that sympathy is not toward the soldier that murdered 16 civilians. As a mater of fact the writer states that is just a matter of to what "degree" the murder was committed. He then goes on to state how disciplined our military forces are, and that it has taken this long before someone snapped. Insanity is still a plea in our legal system, if even only temporarily. I don't believe anyone condones the soldiers act.

As for giving up to the locals for their law, well, when the Afghan soldier while standing guard duty with an American soldier, put a round into the back of the American's head, that is exactly what the U.S. did. They handed the Afghan soldier over to the Afghan government on request. Indications are that they take care of such matters rather quickly - no court. So if that be the case, than tit-for-tat is that if it is a U.S. Serviceman it should be the U.S Services that have control of the punishment stages in accordance with OUR laws, not another nations laws.

Here is a little tidbit of information. While serving in Vietnam ('68-69) we were told that whenever we left the compound that the weapon must be unloaded. That is, a magazine could be inserted but no round in the chamber. Are you kidding me! That was a bureaucratic regulation, and trust me, whenever we left the compound we locked and loaded with a round in the chamber. So when you read the rest of the story of how the bureaucracy reports things, versus what they are being told from the field, I believe it. But that's my experience and nature.
Old 03-24-2012, 07:24 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
This is a hard thing to think about, Without a doubt this soldier had some major stressers going on his life, likely both professionaly and personally. Nothing worse than having the crush of combat mixed with a lethal dose of home brewed problems. This breakdown didn't happen overnight and no doubt key indicators were missed,ignored or misinterpretted. The result in this case was lethal. In most cases the end result is an individual act of self destruction, which is seldom reported for what it is. This particula result of course has major ramifications and a constant comment and anaylsis from unqulaified main stream media who are simply anxious for the next headline sure isnt helpful. He's still a soldier who was in a pretty ugly place, not likely his choice. This is the tough part. We so easily, almost automatically write and personally thank our vets for their service. Its so easy to do, The other part of that responsibiltiy is caring for those who come back mentally unwell and struggle for years with their remembrances of their time in combat. I think I've said enough, I pray for that soldier his wife and kids and all the rest of our boys and girls in uniform. Because thats what they are, our boys and girls and a lot of us were them. Enough said.
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 07:36 PM   #13

I've been there and and saw many times the stress that is too much for some men to deal with! so! don't pass judgement on a man fighting for freedom by what you read.Who knows that could be one of your children or grand children, lets all remember we are Americans and I stand by our fighting men and woman RIGHT OR WRONG.war is just HeLL to deal with
swampdog2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 08:16 PM   #14

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang652 View Post
Thanks to the two above as all I can add is "x2" on both. If there is to be critizism and judgement, let us honor what we were taught and give him the benifit of doubt. I hate it when the scaffold is built prior to the trial.
Another Vietnam Vet checking in. Compare the 'Political Correctness' being practiced here vs. that of the Maj. Nadal Hasan murders at Ft. Hood. Let's hear the complete story first. This soldier has already been tried, convicted and sentenced by the media.
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote