Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Military / Veteran RVing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-22-2019, 06:06 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traildust View Post
Filed m intent to claim disability and started gathering dd214's and everything I held on to over the years decided to go with a VSO. I finally got set up with a local VSO here. He seems to put more emphasis on my in country times than the Blue Water Law. Big problem for me is actually proving when and how long I was there, waiting for records now.
Bill
Always remember that you are trying to prove something to a person who probably wasn't even alive during the Vietnam era or was too young to remember. They have no concept of the realities of military life in an operational arena.
They denied my claim because I couldn't prove that I was launched off the Ranger to repair an aircraft that had diverted to some remote airfield in country.
They said the deck logs didn't have my name on any manifest. I can't count the number of times some plane captain filled out an "A" sheet that had wrong or missing names on it. Besides that there was no retention requirement for that "A" sheet after the plane landed.
When the Chief says "Get your tools and get on that helo." you just do it.
Even the pictures of us wearing nothing but shorts and boots while washing planes that had flown through known agent orange areas held no weight.
The bureaucrats are way to powerful and, just like insurance claims agents, are taught to say "NO".
JohnH12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2019, 01:06 AM   #30

JohnH12 - I had that exact experience happen to me a few times but I do remember a few times that I had orders. My problem while in Danang was I was in VA-153 attached to CVW-19's beach det off the Oriskany living in VQ1's barracks?? Could have been VQ2 cannot remember now.
Bill
Old 08-26-2019, 05:50 PM   #31

My brother who was in the Air Force is having the same problem as you guys mentioned above. He worked on aircraft out of Guam and Thailand that he feels was tainted with AO!

Stano
Stano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 06:54 AM   #32

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stano View Post
My brother who was in the Air Force is having the same problem as you guys mentioned above. He worked on aircraft out of Guam and Thailand that he feels was tainted with AO!

Stano
Its not just "any aircraft". The other services also used other types of aircraft to spray defoliant as well. Hell, I flew some of them. Several of those planes that were used for spraying in-country returned to U.S. units after the operation ceased in Nam. The VA AO bill covers some today. But like everything else, the burden of proof is on the vet.

These links are related info on OP Ranch Hand:

https://cck-law.com/blog/did-c-123-a...e-vietnam-war/

https://www.military.com/daily-news/...-diseases.html
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 01:07 PM   #33

Finally got my claim filed yesterday 9/18/19 so now I am in a wait and see how the VA decides. One point of interest is that my claim was filed strictly on my in country time as my VSO told me no Carriers are on the Bluewater list. I find that little tidbit interesting, that eliminates a bunch of possible claims doesn't it.
Bill
Old 09-19-2019, 07:24 PM   #34

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Finally got my claim filed yesterday 9/18/19 so now I am in a wait and see how the VA decides. One point of interest is that my claim was filed strictly on my in country time as my VSO told me no Carriers are on the Bluewater list. I find that little tidbit interesting, that eliminates a bunch of possible claims doesn't it.
Bill

TD,
Which Agent Orange presumptive conditions are you filing for ?
By having been "in-country" why would you wait for the Blue Water bill to file ?
Old 09-19-2019, 11:53 PM   #35

My presumptives are diabetes mellitus type 2, ischemic heart disease and peripheral neuropathy that's the main ones. I also have hearing loss and tinnitus both sides but that was caused from working on military aircraft for over 21 years active duty and 14 more as a Navair Tech. Rep.
Why did I wait so long, funny my VSO asked the same thing, I really never thought that much about it to tell you the truth. I always felt I didn't really earn it. I was in DaNang and Tan Son Nhut AFB quiet a bit but was never outside of the wire so to speak. I always felt that the guys that where out on patrols and seeing real combat are the ones that earned it. This Bluewater Navy thing sort of triggered me to see what is available as I am getting older and started thinking about my wife more I guess. I did spend a lot of time on the Oriskany drinking the polluted water but I always thought it was the JP-5.
Bill
Old 09-20-2019, 06:46 AM   #36

Better late than never as they say! I started filing/applying right after I retired from my civilian job at age 62 which was 10 years ago. Started at 30% then reapplied 2 years ago and moved up to 100%.
Old 09-20-2019, 09:23 AM   #37

Quote:
Bill
Where is this Blue Water List? Is it public or only for those who know the secret handshake?
All I've seen is a very confusing list of lat/longs that is worthless with your ship's navigation logs.
JohnH12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 09:38 AM   #38

Tiffin Owners Club
Just curious. How did your ship state its geographic position if not using Lat & Long. INS, ANS, GPS (not around then) or LORAN ?
I would think you tell the VA what ship and dates, and they'll tell you if you scored.
Old 09-20-2019, 02:44 PM   #39

That ship list is a elusive thing. I've never really saw it even though I've looked for it all over the place. I did ask my VSO for it but nothing really came of it as we always seemed to get side tracked. I guess the basic rule was your ship had to come within 12 nautical miles of certain areas along the coast of Vietnam?? I know there were times on the Oriskany we got in pretty close at times but standing on the flight deck who am I to know I am sure there are ship's logs somewhere that should show various courses the ship took during it's time in the Tonkin Gulf.
Bill
Old 09-20-2019, 02:58 PM   #40

Quote:
That ship list is a elusive thing. I've never really saw it even though I've looked for it all over the place. I did ask my VSO for it but nothing really came of it as we always seemed to get side tracked. I guess the basic rule was your ship had to come within 12 nautical miles of certain areas along the coast of Vietnam?? I know there were times on the Oriskany we got in pretty close at times but standing on the flight deck who am I to know I am sure there are ship's logs somewhere that should show various courses the ship took during it's time in the Tonkin Gulf.
Bill
Goggle; Navy Ships in Vietnam Waters. I just saw the list, but don't know how to forward it!

Stano
Old 09-20-2019, 03:34 PM   #41

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stano View Post
Goggle; Navy Ships in Vietnam Waters. I just saw the list, but don't know how to forward it!

Stano
and once you have the name and dates, you can petition the navy to provide deck logs that prove dates and times.

remember chernobyl? i have logs of the USS America when we got clouded.
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 03:48 PM   #42

Thanks Stano, now I found the list but still no Carriers on it. All the Carriers back then were designated CVA except for Enterprise she was the only CVN.
I was also exposed to asbestos on the Oriskany also.
Bill

Tags
water