RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Military / Veteran RVing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-19-2019, 05:00 PM   #1

Let us remember - and never forget their sacrifice.

The third Friday of September is POW/MIA day, this year it's Sep. 20.

I am at a loss for anything else to add.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2019, 05:08 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
I have a POW flag, POW license plate, and a POW tee shirt...there but for the grace of God, go I.

Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 05:17 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
I have a POW flag, POW license plate, and a POW tee shirt...there but for the grace of God, go I.

& you drive a Japaneses car, did you forget WWII.

Mike
on safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 08:18 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by on safari View Post

Mike
My MH tires are made in Vietnam.(yes I have trouble with that)
IMO this is a time to come together for a common cause. Forget the petty jabs please, and remember why we observe the day.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Old 09-19-2019, 08:39 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
My MH tires are made in Vietnam.(yes I have trouble with that)
IMO this is a time to come together for a common cause. Forget the petty jabs please, and remember why we observe the day.
Old 09-19-2019, 08:49 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for posting.

My neighbor was a South Vietnamese Army Colonel who spent five years in a North Vietnamese prison camp.

I'll talk to him tomorrow and tell him there are still some people who appreciate what he went through.

Don't know where I'm going, spose I'll get there anyway.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 09:17 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
Thanks for posting.

My neighbor was a South Vietnamese Army Colonel who spent five years in a North Vietnamese prison camp.

I'll talk to him tomorrow and tell him there are still some people who appreciate what he went through.
I once worked with a Korean conflict POW. I cannot imagine his life as a POW.
I once toured the Vietnam POW memorial at Andersonville. It was so graphic I can never return.
Old 09-20-2019, 10:42 AM   #8

I have been watching the national and local news OTA this morning for several hours. I've seen segments on today being National Queso Day, National Pepperoni Day and National Elephant Appreciation Day. Nary a word on National POW/MIA Recognition Day.
It really makes me very sad. I know at least a dozen former POWs I have served with either before or after they were shot down over North Vietnam. When our returnees arrived back to Balboa Naval Hospital in San Diego for their health assessments and treatment I gladly served as a volunteer "aide" to one of the returnees. Anything he wanted or needed I would do anything to get it for him. I was pretty proud of my homemade ice cream recipe so I brought him some figuring he would love it. Sadly, he couldn't eat it as it would hurt his teeth because he hadn't had anything cold in his mouth for years.
My US and POW flags fly day and night (lighted) whenever we are in camp for more than one night. They have special meaning today. I especially honor the memory of the finest naval officer and gentleman I have ever met. CDR Harley Hall who was the former "Boss" of the Blue Angels and the last Naval Aviator shot down in the war. There is convincing evidence he was captured alive and later died or was murdered at the enemy's hand. His widow, after years of leaving no stone unturned to find out what happened to him, finally received a badly decayed tooth that DNA proved was his.
"What Happened to Harley Hall?" by Barrett Tillman
https://www.btillman.com/what_happen...arley_hall.htmClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190920_103235989.jpeg
Views:	8
Size:	172.2 KB
ID:	260967
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 06:16 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by on safari View Post

Mike
Don't see the correlation.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 09:26 PM   #10

WOW, It's called Disrespect to the American Military.

Mike
on safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 11:07 PM   #11

It's the MIA's that I really wonder about. How many did we leave behind?
Bill
Old 09-20-2019, 11:12 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traildust View Post
It's the MIA's that I really wonder about. How many did we leave behind?
Bill

Regrettably here it is: How Many Missing?
For detailed casualty/MIA information, and much more: https://www.archives.gov/research/mi...c-records.html
Old 09-21-2019, 05:33 PM   #13

Thanks Ray, it's really sad to me to think that there were/are people we may have left behind. I do remember that not to long after we pulled out of Vietnam there were two US Senators that I can still remember did everything within their power to block any type of investigation into the possibility of there being any MIA's left behind. But I digress, this is not the place to talk about that.
Bill