Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Military / Veteran RVing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-29-2016, 06:28 PM   #1

Medicare and Tricare for Life users?

My wife and I just bought our first RV and will be full-timing in a few months. She is diabetic and uses a Medtronic pump. Any suggestions for care on the road as we travel all around?
gostberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2016, 10:46 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Recommend you have a conversation with your PCM (Primary Care Manager - could be a Physician Assistant, Nurse Practitioner or Physician) to let them know what you're planning to do. In my experience they really want to help you maintain your health state - and they appreciate folks who are realistic and flexible. Talk with them about how you can maintain contact with them through personal visits, phone calls, text messages, video-conferencing, phone consults, etc. From there - any situation can be resolved ...
Old 05-31-2016, 08:02 AM   #3

Wife and I are both on traditional Medicare and Tricare For Life. Have not had any issues with getting care throughout our travels. We are SD residents, but have a Family Dr her in New Orleans area which we see annually in Jan. Our only grandchild lives here, so we come for Christmas each year. She writes our maintenance scripts for the year, and does annual blood work.

Our care underway is usually met by Urgent Care Centers, or ER if appropriate. We have scheduled our own Orthopedic and Eye care appointments without any issue.
Old 06-02-2016, 08:58 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Although we no longer full time we do travel a lot and have used medical care on the road. When we have, standard Tricare along with standard Medicare has worked well. I cannot speak about how the Tricare for life works with the HMO type Tricare or Medicare advantage plans work on the road.

You might look at standard Tricare and standard Medicare and also look at getting all prescriptions thru a large chain store so availability of meds is not an issue. The company's may differ but for the convenience might be worth it.
Old 06-02-2016, 09:51 AM   #5
rpk

TFL and Medicare. Express Scripts can find us wherever we are. If we need something from them we just email our Primary Care Doc and the response is always great. We have had no problems with any providers, ER's, hospitals, or VA Centers anywhere. For drugs on the spot just ask the pharmacy if they accept TFL. Most do.

Good Luck!
Old 06-02-2016, 09:56 AM   #6

We use Express Scripts for our maintenance meds. If you use civilian pharmacies, then Tricare doesn't pay for meds on their Select Maintenance Drug list, after 2 fills. Also, mailorder provides 3 months for the price of 1. Generics are free. Short term or 1 time scripts we fill at CVS. I do not use autofill option. I input temporary address, RV Park or Post Office General Delivery, and then order. The shipping time is usually only a few days.
Old 06-04-2016, 07:54 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gostberg View Post
My wife and I just bought our first RV and will be full-timing in a few months. She is diabetic and uses a Medtronic pump. Any suggestions for care on the road as we travel all around?
How often will your wife need to see her Dr for her pump ? I know some require every 3 months in order to continue getting their pump supplies etc. That would be your immediate concern
As for TFL it works every where for everything We have absolutely no issues.
Express Meds for prescriptions
Nana25K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 06:38 PM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
Agree with not using auto-refill with Express Scripts. On the road or not. You can order online and instruct where to send them. Takes about a week, they have been pretty reliable.

Auto-refill sends a 90 day refill at 60 days and you quickly get way ahead on meds on hand.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 02:47 PM   #9

We use auto fill with no issues but then we do not have any medications that require refrigeration. Express Scripts sends the medication to our mail forwarding service and then we have the mail sent whenever we want to. Express Scripts refills far in advance so even if we wait for a while to have our mail sent, we do not have issues.
jpharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 07:49 AM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Since you state that you have TriCare for Life, that must mean you have a retired ID card. With that, you can get free meds at any military pharmacy. I spend a lot of time in Tucson, AZ and Clarksville, TN. I use Davis Monthan AFB in AZ and Fort Campbell KY when in TN. I have my Dr in AZ write 2 prescriptions when I see him annually. One gets filled at DMAFB before we hit the road, and later in the summer I get the other filled at Fort Campbell. These are filled free of charge. If things get messed up for some reason, can always use Express Scripts.

Jake
Retired-Jake is offline   Reply With Quote