Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Military / Veteran RVing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-10-2009, 06:04 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Mil Discount on Wireless phones.

Hey guys, here's something for you to check out. From another forum, I learned most of the wireless providers are giving a discount (15% I'm told) to any military veteran who can produce a DD-214 and a picture I.D. I applied to AT&T and used my Mil: retired I.D. card. Haven't seen my bill yet but friends that have applied say they're getting that 15%. Discount not good for line phones and if account in wife's name, not good either.

Marty
AF Ret.
11/50 to 9/75
Marty too is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2009, 06:36 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Does not require 214, I have the discount, just your a copy of your id card(don't tell me you not suppose to do that this is what ATT wanted), has to be done through a corporate ATT(not a franchise store, most are). The discount is on the phone service only not internet or txt charges, add ons, or second lines. I received $9 a month discount on a $60 package. Most costumer service reps do not know about it and you may have to push to get it. The discount was created by a federal mandate - "Fedral Telecommunication Act" of 1996. It effective for all cell service providers.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:21 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
My wife called Verizon and they gave it to us--no paperwork involved. Nextel was a bit harder but still was done over the phone.
DICK
Acker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 02:16 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Interesting: When I called AT&T Atlanta, them didn't know about this and then say I needed proof of service and the photo ID of some type. Then when I go to a local AT&T outlet store, them not know but finally resolved with the DD-214 and ID Card. Guess different providers & local area's have their own way to float the boat. How ever, getting a discount on our wireless system billing was worth the time and effort.

Marty
Marty too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 02:22 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I called Sprint and they said no discount available for veterans. I'll keep that in mind when it's time to renew! Thanks for the tip.
Our Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 10:02 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Got to change my statement in my above post. I checked with my wife and Nextel/Sprint changed it on her word. Phone is in her name.
Verizon would not do it because that phone is in her name. They would do it if we changed the phone to my name.
I apologize if it caused anyone any problems.
DICK
Acker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 08:51 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
We get 15% from Verizon, got the same from Sprint, but it took a couple months to come through. All we needed was the ID card. Most give employee discounts if your company has an account. My company gets 8% from verizon and AT&T.
Submustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 07:18 AM   #8

Also check out employee/former employee(retiree) discounts. Found out that I could get a 25% discount off service plan and add-ons as retiree from State Farm.
JJnLilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 08:02 PM   #9

We have found by using our military ID as ID when in a store checking out that we often are given a discount. So now I make it a point to use only military ID for ID then if they insist that we show a drivers license we do.

Also there is a senior discount if you aren't eligible for a military one from the phone carriers.
Savannah is offline   Reply With Quote