Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Military / Veteran RVing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-09-2007, 04:56 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
I was not aware of the additional credit available for military retirees when computing Social Security earnings/credit. Recommend all Military retirees copy/make note of the linked site for future information.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2007, 04:56 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
I was not aware of the additional credit available for military retirees when computing Social Security earnings/credit. Recommend all Military retirees copy/make note of the linked site for future information.

Old 01-09-2007, 07:29 PM   #3

Send a message via Yahoo to Garbageman
Thanks for the info. I will have to look into this more to fully understand it. I retired from the Army in 1995 (21 years active duty) but won't receive SS until 2018 at the earliest. So, I have some time to research it.

Thanks again

Paul
Garbageman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 04:07 AM   #4

Read the information page carefully. It states that if you are receiving pay for years of service you are not eligible.

Those who did not retire but did years of service should look into this.

Thanks for posting, we all have to look for any benefits we can find.
Old 01-31-2007, 11:29 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
I'm not so sure about it not including retirees. I received an email from the "Military Officer's Association of America" today that addresses this issue. Additional information here.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
Eligible military members may be able to receive credit on extra earnings from the Social Security Administration (SSA). To find out if you qualify, review the SSA fact sheet. The fact sheet spells out the SSA policy regarding military wage credits in various years since 1940. Carefully note the qualifications for your year group on the fact sheet. These special credits for the military do not apply for service after 2001.

To receive credit, retirees or widows in receipt of Social Security benefits should take a copy of the servicemember's DD-214 or other separation or retirement order that documents the periods of active service to the Social Security office. Be prepared to refer Social Security personnel to these references, as they probably won't know as much about the benefit as you will.

The special credit usually will not mean a significant increase in Social Security benefits for most retirees. A few dollars each month is all anyone should reasonably expect from these extra credits. However, a few dollars more each month is better than nothing.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 02-02-2007, 07:55 AM   #6

Thanks for your reply ChiefJohn. I truly wish that you would PM me and tell me how to do the "click here" anchor. I am an nickie new guy at html. Thank you so kindly.

Also, I new a Chief Yoder in the Far East. Wondering if you might be the same guy?
Old 02-13-2007, 07:34 PM   #7

From the SSA site <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">You cannot receive credit for these special extra earnings if you are already receiving a federal benefit based on the same years of service. There is one exception: If you were on active duty after 1956, you can still get the special earnings for 1951 through 1956, even if you're receiving a military retirement based on service during that period. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The exception severly limits the benefit for retirees. Those serving after 1956 cannot receive the benefit because they are receiving retirement. Those that were in between 1951 and 1956 can only receive the benefit for the years that they served between those years.

Might mean $5 buck extra, but I doubt that it would be that much.

Now for those that spent a long time in and bailed before retirement... they could see a few more buck that might make a difference.
Old 02-14-2007, 04:14 AM   #8

Hi all, hope I'm reading this right so as not to mix things up.

Hubby retired from the military in 1980 so is drawing military retirement plus VA disability and when he went to SS in February 2006 they had all info on his military service already there. The lady verified with us that ALL info was correct and the following month he recieved his first SS deposit. We did have all kinds of paperwork with us but all the info she needed was already on her computer so she never looked at our stuff.

I did do the inital application online the day before but when the website asked us to mail birth certificate etc I was uncomfortable with that so we opted to go in person for that verfication. We went to SS took a number and had to wait at the most an hour (no appointment). His birth certificate was checked/verfied before we were called to the rear for the interview and told the amount of his benefits.

We were both very impressed with how smoothly this happened after hearing horror stories.

This was in Albuquerque, New Mexico.
Old 02-21-2007, 08:20 AM   #9

I happened to find out about the credit the day before I went to SS to apply so it was fresh in my mind at the interview. The woman there said that if there is any military pay indicated on the record, it was automatically included. She then showed me the difference that it made just to prove that the credit was there. While it only made a $20.00 difference for me, $20.00 is $20.00.

Texan by choice. (even before Escapees)....... Not by chance.
P3 guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 04:51 PM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon (The right side of the Cascades and home of Crater Lake)
Thats great P3 $20 a month is $240 a year and $2400 in 10. No small change
Hoverbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 04:19 PM   #11

It might be advantages to check with S/S. You maybe suprised, I was. I get about $640,(age 62) about 400 more than I expected. Makes my Vehicle payments plus. Its very confusing how its comped, matter of fact the local offices couldn't even give me a correct amount.

Service years 1962-1983. Latter 20 years with Civil Service didn't acquire any credits.

Combined with the military years and few years prior, I accquired the necssary quarters to meet S/S requirements. Not positive, but I believe 80 quarters is required (20 years service).

Knowing in advance maybe benefitial in that you could acquire a few credits by working somewhere part time. Buddy is doing this currently.
Old 03-17-2007, 04:58 PM   #12

Texas Boomers Club
Backwaters what rank did you retire with. I retired as MSGT in 1982. My S/S pay is $549.00. You get a lot more than I do. Just checking to see if I need to check with the S/S office on this. Thanks.
Old 03-17-2007, 05:58 PM   #13

Thanks for all the good information. I will have to read some more to make sure I understand it. I retired from the Army in 1997 active duty. I hope i recived something let a few hundreds.
Old 04-05-2007, 05:32 AM   #14

Retired as E-9, the amount will depend on how much was paid in plus credit quarters. I had some SS credits prior to my military service. Also, made E-9 early in my career so my contributions may have been higher.