Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Military / Veteran RVing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-11-2017, 03:58 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
MTF's Military Treatment Facilities & Tricare

We are planning on hitting the road and stay enrolled in Tricare Prime until such time we have to transfer to Standard.

For us military retirees I have noticed some bases seem more open to allow treatment of military retirees than others.

Any one use MTF's? Thinking about winters 3-4 months at a time. Might be near MacDill AFB or Lackland AFB or Luke for example.

What have your experiences been?
Kro1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2017, 04:11 PM   #2

MTF?
Old Crows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 04:26 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
MTF=Military Treatment Facility Need to be active duty, military retiree or authorized family member. Retirees are treated on a space available basis at some of the MTF's.
Floridakamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 06:07 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridakamper View Post
MTF=Military Treatment Facility Need to be active duty, military retiree or authorized family member. Retirees are treated on a space available basis at some of the MTF's.
Exactly. Wasn't sure what MTF was referring to..... With Tri-care, why would one use an MTF except in an emergency? Same with VA as a walk in. You would spend a day waiting to be seen. You could easily pop into the many "Doc-in-a-Box" urgent care facilities and be in and out in a jiffy.
Old Crows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 06:12 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Because the OP had TRICARE Prime. He can only receive emergency care when he is away from his Primary Care Doc. He can request urgent care on the road but it's a PIA. Prime doesn't work well for travelers. If the MTF has an ER that's probably one way to circumvent the Prime rules. If he changes to TRICARE Standard the cost sharing is pretty steep. Getting a supplement is smart move in that case.
Old 02-11-2017, 06:21 PM   #6

Floridakamper--good summary....Tricare Prime works well at home but a PITA on the road......
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 06:30 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
We have been TriCare Prime while on the road for 5 years. We have a Summer location in Northern Idaho and a Winter location in Las Vegas. Our Primary care is via Nellis AFB MTF. This has worked out OK for most, but had some interesting prescription refill discussions with the MTF provider while in Idaho, when he wanted to see me.

HIS RECOMMENDATION: TriCare Regular because we are out of the area for Prime support 4-5 months a year. Emergency care is available and can be used, but otherwise, you need a referral (and they have 2-3 days to get back to you on a request, both prescriptions and health care, so that can be a hassle, as well as explaining why you can't come see him, until he understands what your lifestyle really means. Otherwise his recommendation was change your primary care physician when we are away from Nellis.

I am approaching For Life, so I won't change now, but if I was back at the decision five years ago, I think the right decision is "Regular".

One added thing I found out when I went to see an optometrist ...if you don't have a referral, be prepared to pay the fee for your eye check up. The catastrophic deductible for out of network without referral is $3k a year. An unpleasant surprise.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 07:37 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Standard vs Prime and being retired on the road

For me being a military retiree. (We pay $$ premiums for being on Prime) You would think since we pay for that it would give you a better coverage.

Other option is to take Standard. No premium. Now I know in a couple years I am when I go on Social Security, I am forced to go on Tricare for Life which I think is the same as Standard and Medicare. Medicare becomes my primary and Tricare for life is the back up.

In the couple years before this happens, as we contemplate taking winter vacations a couple months here, and couple months there with points in between.

Example: Take 2 months in famcamp @ MacDill. Can retirees be seen at the MTF or get RX refills there? I know the snowbird population explodes there in the winter months so I was not really sure if they had the ability to deal with us. Same could be said with San Antonio, but then again you have Willford Hall Medical Center and I know they treat civilians there with urgent care needs I would think that military retirees might have a better chance getting in there.

We met a FT couple this past year who do all their doctoring with a Dr back in South Carolina. They travel the USA work camping but make the treck back to SC every fall for check ups.

That got us to thinking since we like to plot our trips via, military base fam camps, are there opportunities to use the MTF's at bases as well. Especially if we might be at that base for an expended period of time. Say like MacDill, Lackland or as in Dave's case Nellis AFB.
Old 02-12-2017, 12:48 AM   #9

Following updates to this post. We are close to retirement and have heard pros and cons to Retired Prime. My wife has several scripts from previous medical issues. We also plan to visit alot of FAMCAMP but not necessarily the same location for a dedicated PCM. So trying to weigh Prime vs Standard...?
MGrawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 06:22 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We've earned our TRICARE benefits and for the most part they're great. Being forced into TRICARE For Life is not a bad thing it's a blessing. With Medicare as primary and TRICARE as a secondary you'll rarely have to pay anything out of pocket. Compared to most older Americans we're exceptionally fortunate. But we have to learn how to use our benefits. Care at MTF's unless they're your Primary Care Manager under Prime is iffy at best. TRICARE Prime does not work well for the frequent traveler. The biggest treat to our health care benefits presently is our elected leadership. There are some changes coming down the pike to health care and commissaries that will make our present benefits look like the "Good Ole Days."
Old 02-12-2017, 12:07 PM   #11

We use TRICARE Standard and it has worked well for us. I have had several expensive surgeries and as a couple, we have never reached our catastrophic cap ($3K). We also use Express Scripts for our medication and have it sent to our mail forwarder, then on to us. I would think Prime would be a big problem on the road. With Standard, you can go to the doctor of your choice without pre-approval.
jpharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 03:07 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Prime & Standard with major surgery pending... thoughts

Ok, Presently we are in PRIME and I need a hip replacement.
As it is now, our primary dr puts in a referral to Tricare and we would be sent to a Orthopedic Dr in NETWORK with Tricare. Copay $12 And we must also make sure the hospital is in network.

Now IF I made the move to Standard I could get hooked for as much as $3000 of the bill? Is that right? Even if the Orthopedic Dr accepts Tricare.

Say the surgery ends up costing $20,000. Tricare pays out max $15,000 My part may be $3000 and the rest is excused?

We have had Tricare Prime for so long and used to the $12 co-pays that in my mind that is why paying a premium for Prime I always considered to be the better equation. And if I could get services at the base even better yet. Cost me nothing other than the dining. (which is what we were promised years ago in regard to our military service). I understand in a couple years, there is no option because I will be 62 and in Tricare for Life, but right now, I am trying to figure out the best way to go especially since I need this hip replacement!!
Old 02-12-2017, 03:27 PM   #13

I had a knee replacement January 2016. Just the hospital bill was $154,000. Add in lab, doctor, anesthesia, etc plus my spouses medical, we still did not reach our $3k cap. Keep in mind that this is what the hospital charged, not what TRICARE paid. I got to choose the doctor in the location I wanted since we are full time RVers and TRICARE Standard users. In my experience, most bases will not see retirees unless it is a medical emergency. I tried to get a pre surgery screening and physical therapy at a Air Force hospital for my knee replacement but because I was a retiree, they would not provide any services. They even sent active duty out to local providers for ortho needs and this was a huge hospital. TRICARE FOR LIFE does not kick in until you are Medicare age (65) not Social Security Age.
jpharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 03:30 PM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
One way to go is stay home, get the hip replacement, recuperate and then before you start traveling switch to "Standard."

And when you turn 65 you'll get your care based on MEDICARE rules and TRICARE 4 Life will generally pick any charges that would be your responsibility.