RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Military / Veteran RVing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-16-2015, 07:48 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
No Federal COLA this year...for anyone !

Well the cost of living is so low, our well paid elected politicians have decided no increase in SS or VA checks this year. Gas is cheaper, as it should be for production costs. But thats it, nothing else is cheaper then last yr. So will our elitists officials get there "automatic" annual raises as well ? Oh,,,sorry they can't do any thing about that, it was voted in years ago...!

skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2015, 07:55 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by skypilot_1 View Post
Well the cost of living is so low, our well paid elected politicians have decided no increase in SS or VA checks this year. Gas is cheaper, as it should be for production costs. But thats it, nothing else is cheaper then last yr. So will our elitists officials get there "automatic" annual raises as well ? Sorry they can't do any thing about that, it was voted in years ago...!
But isn't it funny when the price of fuel was up they told us they excluded the price of food and fuel in the cpi!!! Just saying

loisjop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 08:06 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
It didn't stop my Humana RX premium from going up $15.10 a month for 2016. :(
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 10:46 AM   #4

The way gas prices go they could be $4.00 per gallon by next week. Doesn't seem logical they would use something that fluctuates so drastically as a COLA indicator. I guess they don't shop for groceries. Oh yeah, I just got my medicare Rx Plan book for 2016. A 25% increase in monthly premiums.
Old 10-16-2015, 10:56 AM   #5

Quote:
Well the cost of living is so low, our well paid elected politicians have decided no increase in SS or VA checks this year. Gas is cheaper, as it should be for production costs. But thats it, nothing else is cheaper then last yr. So will our elitists officials get there "automatic" annual raises as well ? Oh,,,sorry they can't do any thing about that, it was voted in years ago...!
Congress does not decide to give an increase or not. There is a formula that determines whether or not there will be an increase.
Old 10-16-2015, 10:58 AM   #6
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
That's exactly correct. It was enacted in 1973.
http://www.ssa.gov/oact/cola/latestCOLA.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJStough View Post
Congress does not decide to give an increase or not. There is a formula that determines whether or not there will be an increase.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 11:36 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It's part of the law. Makes sense if you think about it, no politics involved with setting the increases like there use to be.

Budgeting tips to myself, don't spend money until you see it in your account.
Old 10-16-2015, 01:01 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Congress and federal employees will receive an increase but that I guess is another formula....I stand amazed...
GlenB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 01:27 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Our Fed COLA and the SS COLA are tied directly to the "Consumers Price Index".... congress has nothing to do with it. People need to check things out before opening mouth and inserting foot.

FWIW, we didn't get an increase in '10 and '11 either.

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 02:58 PM   #10

I find it hilarious that the guys with the big MH and Diesel Pushers are the ones crying the loudest.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
powderman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 02:59 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Correct me if Im wrong. The CPI and COLA formula gets manipulated all the time. But in times gone by, hasn't there been bills introduced that set ONE TIME COLA rates at different percentages for specific categorizes of classes. ie disabled vets, citizens over certain age. We know the WH doesn't get to pick and chooses. But its not like the annual procedure is set in stone. And the fat lady hasn't sung yet .
And we may not have heard the end of this.
Old 10-16-2015, 03:09 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
To be clear I am very tired of congress having us on an insurance plan they wrote but they don't have to be on it....now they get a cola adjustment but we won't....I am ok that some are ok with this....I don't plan to be...they have the final word on all of this...if it's law they wrote it...oh well have a great weekend..,
GlenB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 03:10 PM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:

I won't get into a political discussion but it appears the CPI is not changing thus the COLA is zero.. I do wish the CPI worried more about food and medicine and such and less about Gasoline.

One other thing. I do understand Medicare premiums are going way way up. I guess they do not figure what they do to us into that. Thanks to Affordable health care Medicare should be carrying LESS of the health care costs of the nation and thus the premiums should go down but.. Well. Murphy's law of price.. IT always goes up.
Old 10-16-2015, 04:04 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by powderman View Post
I find it hilarious that the guys with the big MH and Diesel Pushers are the ones crying the loudest.
Right you are Hamman, I $pent it on wine, woman and DP's...the rest I just wasted