RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Military / Veteran RVing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-27-2013, 08:38 AM   #1
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Pentagon requests plan to close stateside commissaries

Darn! Here we go again. It is not the first time that suggestions/recommendations were made to close commissaries and military exchanges. Yes, granted, many food and department store items can be obtained on the retail market, but there are some benefits to shopping at the military establishments. It would be interesting to know just how much of the tax payer's money is allocated to the funding of the commissaries and exchanges. Most are self supporting. Yes, the building may be built with subsidies but taking the commissary or exchange away does not remove the building. Oh well. Time will tell.

Pentagon requests plan to close stateside commissaries

Some Commissary Information

Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2013, 09:33 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
http://spousebuzz.com/blog/2013/11/c...2887570&rank=2

The commissary is funded two ways. First, $1.4 billion of tax dollars annually pays for things like store employee wages, shipping food to overseas commissaries and keeping the lights on.
The next part of the funding comes from that 5 percent surcharge you see at the end of your commissary bill. That surcharge, applied to your order total before coupons, was mandated by Congress in 1974 and pushed to its current level in 1983. The same law also dictates which operation costs are covered by the surcharge and which aren’t.

Old 11-27-2013, 03:28 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Don't care. Stateside commissaries do not update their stock, I frequently have found items still on the shelves that are well past their date code. Prices can sometimes be a little less than off base stores, and most carry a lot of specialty items for foreign born spouses. Exchanges are overpriced and poorly managed, I would be a very stupid shopper if I couldn't find anything available in an Exchange for less off base.

So if I had my druthers, I would close all stateside commissaries and exchanges, and maybe use some of the savings to fund retirees medical services.
Old 11-27-2013, 05:44 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilWhine View Post
Don't care. Stateside commissaries do not update their stock, I frequently have found items still on the shelves that are well past their date code. Prices can sometimes be a little less than off base stores, and most carry a lot of specialty items for foreign born spouses. Exchanges are overpriced and poorly managed, I would be a very stupid shopper if I couldn't find anything available in an Exchange for less off base.

So if I had my druthers, I would close all stateside commissaries and exchanges, and maybe use some of the savings to fund retirees medical services.
I haven't really done any serious shopping at the Exchanges in twenty plus years, so I can't and won't comment on it. The wife and I do most of our bulk non perishable shopping at the commissary once ever two to four weeks and I have yet to see more than extremely minor instances of the allegations above that you have made. I rotate stock at home based upon keeping roughly a 6 month supply of all non-perishables and don't see expiration dates as an issue. We also periodically average out cost and find at minimum, we save 20 to 25% verses using Wally World and the other chain stores. If we note an out of date, we notify management and the product is generally removed.
VSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 06:32 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Not sure about other states but I know in California is not illegal to sell out of date groceries. They do not have to discount it either, so finding it on the shelf means nothing here.
Old 11-27-2013, 06:50 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
I'd much rather see us give Afghanistan $7 billion, than provide any convenience or savings to a military family....or you kidding me about priorities here!?
mccsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 12:58 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang652 View Post
I haven't really done any serious shopping at the Exchanges in twenty plus years, so I can't and won't comment on it. The wife and I do most of our bulk non perishable shopping at the commissary once ever two to four weeks and I have yet to see more than extremely minor instances of the allegations above that you have made. I rotate stock at home based upon keeping roughly a 6 month supply of all non-perishables and don't see expiration dates as an issue. We also periodically average out cost and find at minimum, we save 20 to 25% verses using Wally World and the other chain stores. If we note an out of date, we notify management and the product is generally removed.
Obviously you shop at Nellis, one of the best commissaries around.

I have no quibble about canned or packaged goods a bit past their date code. However, at NAS Oceana in VA Beach, I found fresh meat still in the display case that was past the date. In Yuma, I bought yogurt and when I got back to my RV, found it was a week past it's date. There have been many other times when I purchased dairy, meat or cold cuts and found them inedible. But then, for my family I believe in the mantra "when in doubt, throw it out."

As far as savings, I'll use Yuma again, since I spend some of the winter in the Proving Grounds. WM had tuna helper for $1.50 and the commissary price was $0.95. Let's do some math: If I purchased 6 boxes at WM, it would be $9.00 out the door. At the commissary, it would be $0.95 x 6 = $5.70, but then you have to add the 5% fee, $.29 plus a $2 tip to the bagger, for a total of $7.99 out the door. So like I said, you do save but not that much. Your biggest savings in Yuma is not burning the gas to go to town.

I'm not against commissaries, I just think there are better uses for our scarce resources. How about if all stateside commisaries were closed, but all military both retired and active duty, were given a $50/month raise?
Old 12-02-2013, 08:20 AM   #8
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
You know, I have found the same thing - at Walmart, Krogers, etc., Food past date.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 10:20 AM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilWhine View Post
At the commissary, it would be $0.95 x 6 = $5.70, but then you have to add the 5% fee, $.29 plus a $2 tip to the bagger, for a total of $7.99 out the door.
You would save a lot of gas and bagger fees if you bought more than one item at time at the commissary. .. We do use the commissary and normally stock up...
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 09:03 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Commissary is run by DOD funding. BX is not, it is MWR supported and gives profits back to MWR programs which run the bowling, Rec Supply, Auto Hobby, FAM CAMPS.

In other-words, I may save a buck or two sometimes as they also will ad match any retailer and yet save you tax money. The profit they make goes back to taking care of our service members and their families. Something Congress seems to forget.

Hey, perhaps if they want to save some money they could close the Gym for Congress. Don't get me started.
Kro1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 07:42 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The commissary is good for remote bases and family without cars. I am stationed at Luke in AZ and if it were to close I think the snow birds would be the most upset. There are plenty of stores within a 5 minute drive of the base. Now there was a time when Luke was way out there (here) but now there is no need in my eyes. The positive this is that it does provide jobs, but the pay is so so, again it seems more for the spouse then the member. Now this is just my 2 cents.
DDDonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 08:25 PM   #12

Freightliner Owners Club
DD- "more for the spouse"? My spouse is an excellent cook, she shares what she manages to forage at the commissary and I - the member- actually benefit....

It's the nibble,-- gee I don't mind losing the commissary or exchange, or paying a little more for Tricare, or closing a few FamCamps, our Navy hospital became a clinic, nick the COLA for retired military, ... it's only little things.

How do you eat and elephant? Just one bite at a time....
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 08:47 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
DD- "more for the spouse"? My spouse is an excellent cook, she shares what she manages to forage at the commissary and I - the member- actually benefit....

It's the nibble,-- gee I don't mind losing the commissary or exchange, or paying a little more for Tricare, or closing a few FamCamps, our Navy hospital became a clinic, nick the COLA for retired military, ... it's only little things.

How do you eat and elephant? Just one bite at a time....
This whole damn thing is just wrong. They just keep nibbling at all these items and don't forget your freedom one bite at a time. All our politicians tell us what they want us to hear on one hand while they're checking your prostrate with the other hand on your shoulder. Why is always us that pay!!! They have always told us the dollar is backed by the full faith and trust of the government. After the developments of the last couple years, we'll I'll let you finish this, but I think Merrill Haggard had it right!!!
loisjop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 04:44 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you buy with the ads you can always beat the commissary. I agree the one at nellis is one of the best. I think the famcamps are supporting other mwr activities. I was at camp Pendleton this summer and paid $50.00 for an rv space for one night. There were no weekly or monthly rates.

garyswann is offline   Reply With Quote