Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Military / Veteran RVing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-22-2010, 12:53 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Navy Chief

Hi,
I moved up to a 2004 Winnebago Journey from a 2006 Jayco Eagle 5th wheel. Had the 5er for 4 years but never moved it, it stayed at a camp resort. Had planned to pay it off and buy a truck when I retire from Boeing next year but this MH came along and it was too good to pass up. Retired in 1983 as an ADC. Any airdales out there, or carrier sailors? Been a camper for a long time but mostly tents. Looking forward to retiring and seeing the US. Do I ned to do something special to "join" this forum? I think I belong to the Winnebago forum but I am not sure. I am looking for friendship and advice. I feel comfortable around military people and look forward to visiting military campgrounds. Always looking for ways to save a buck. Not for the sake of saving money, but so I have more to spend elsewhere. Been frugal all my life but don't mind spending money to have fun. I turn 64 tomorrow, and wife just got her first SS check today. Hope to do my share to boost the economy next year when I retire. Life is good.
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-22-2010, 12:56 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hello and Welcome Chief. This is the best site on the web for RV advice and information. Post often of your adventures.
Old 12-22-2010, 06:09 PM   #3

Welcome to the forum. Thank you for your service.
Old 12-22-2010, 06:39 PM   #4

Appalachian Campers
Send a message via Yahoo to W4RLR
Welcome aboard, Chief! We military types have to stick together.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
W4RLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 06:50 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Airdale...ADR1 from back in the late 60's and early70's. Helo carrier. Had fun incountry. Welcome to this forum. I have been on it for better then a year and have learned quite abit. No BS just the facts. Enjoy your time here. Look at other than your mfg since most of us have the same fridge, water heater etc. Great source of info.
WeBeGone2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 07:16 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via AIM to Shellback1
Hi chief, retired AMS here was in VF-84 attached to the USS Independence CVA-62 at the Golf of Tonkin "65".
Shellback1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 07:26 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Welcome Chief...
ETN2 1963 to 1967

U.S.S. Neversail NavComStaWashDC

Joined the Navy to see the world and was stationed 200 miles from home at a communications station in Annapolis for three years. One year at Great Lakes training center.
Have now seen all 50 states and Europe but on my own dime.
Found the Navy to be a million dollars experience I wouldn't pay a penny to relive....
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 06:47 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Webegone,
What helo carrier? I was on the USS Randolph and Wasp with HS-7 and HS-11 in the 60s. I was an ADJ
Old 12-23-2010, 03:25 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
glad to have you aboard.

You know there only 2 types of crafts in the Navy, Submarines and "Targets"!

EMCS(SS) Retired.

Spike
FMCA F113720, NKK 18573
Spikester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 06:16 PM   #10

Coastal Campers
They are ALL targets.. they can run but they can't hide..

ATC.. P-3 Sailor..
Old 12-23-2010, 08:10 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Look into joining SMART, it is a National group of retired, active duty and recently military veterans. There are chapters all over the country that hold frequent rallies (musters). Its on the web at www.smartrving.net.
Submustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 09:06 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
USS Princeton LPH 5. Was a CVA? in WWII. It is now razor blades.
WeBeGone2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 03:35 PM   #13

Welcome aboard Chief, from a former Coast Guard Chief Machinery Technician (MKC). Sold out for the pension in January 2004 and took CWO.

Retiring next summer and hitting the road full time in our Journey. You'll find get information, friendship and help here on this forum.

Best Regards!

2007 Winnebago Journey 39K Freightliner Chassis, Cat C7
Old Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 08:43 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
organizations

I'm not a real big "joiner" but i do like Camaraderie and associating with like minded people. I am wondering what kinds of organizations people join. Someone suggested SMART. I have looked into it but wonder about the benefits. I guess membership has dwindled and so the base was expanded to include veterans not necessarily retired, and that has upset some purists who don't want to associate with non-retired. My point is, I have seen this happen before. Often groups are looking more for exclusion as oppsed to inclusion, infighting starts and the group just becomes subfactions fighting each other. I don't want to join a group and just send them money if I won't really get any benefit from belonging. When I reread my first sentence, it sounds very narrowminded but what I meant to say was I am interested in belonging to RV groups for Camaraderie and information. I am intersted in visiting military campgrounds. I have been to a few (Mountian Home ID AFB and NAS Oceana, FL). They seemed nice but I was just visiting, not camping. They seem pretty nice and less expensive than civilian places.

I also am loking for an emergency service. I know that even with the best planning, stuff happens and RVer have to be prepared for contingencies. I was concerned that my RV (2004 Winnebago Journey) does not have a spare. It was explained to me that you would have to carry two, (one inside and outside) and that most (65 year old) RVers could not or should not try to change a 22.5 inch tire on the side of the road. So if you have a flat, you call a truck service. Any suggestions for emergency service. I have read good things about Good Sams emergency service.

I hope to retire in 2011. Plans are still up in the air. We have a 5th wheel that we bought and kept at a camp resort planning to buy a truck when we retire. This MH came up and my bride batted her baby blues and made some promises she has yet to keep, and I need to sell the 5er. We have it at a consignment lot, but it was pretty late last year so i hope it sells in spring. Any suggestions on selling a used RV?

Thanks for the encouragement. Merry Christmas. Maybe I'll see some of you folks on the road sometime.