Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Military / Veteran RVing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-21-2015, 06:26 PM   #1

RV club for Vets

SMART

SMART

Special*Military*Active Recreational Travelers. ... Emphasis on serving Veterans - As a social*club, we have chapters for golfers, ... for travelers who just like to*travel. ... Email:*smart@smartrving.org

You visited this page on 10/6/15.
Viewusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2015, 06:43 PM   #2

I've enjoyed belonging to the SMART=Special Military Active Recreational Travelers club for several years now. Hope to see you at the National Muster in Amana, Iowa next year. I am a member of the Ohio Valley/Rocky Top regional chapter.
My MH is easy to recognize, it will be the only one there with a Liberty Bell on each side.
I wish to advise everyone, it is open to ALL military veterans of the U.S.A. and Canada.
It would be great to have a section at the next irv2.com national rally for veteran members.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 11:13 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Went to one muster, guy in charge was a religious whacko, no thanks
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 06:52 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by skypilot_1 View Post
Went to one muster, guy in charge was a religious whacko, no thanks
Edit: SMART as an organization should not be judged on one individual at one small local gathering. I have meet many great folks that are SMART members.
I regret mentioning that incident here.
Old 10-26-2015, 07:50 PM   #5

I found the same thing at a fly-in. There everywhere. But, most of the people are "great folks" and share a the common intrest.
Viewusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 09:12 PM   #6

We're members of both the Ohio Valley Chapter and the Rocky Top Chapter, but so far haven't been able to get to a single muster due to conflicting schedules. It IS nice to keep up with the chatter from the "fringes" though, so to speak. Good group of people, and hopefully we'll get a chance to meet some of them in person soon.
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 09:28 AM   #7

Define Vet

I was in US Navy Submarine for 6 years then 3 years active reserves. But can not use any of the Military Campgrounds because I did stay and retire. So the questions stands what type of Vet. If you frequent the Military campgrounds I can't get in.
meterguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 02:50 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by meterguru View Post
I was in US Navy Submarine for 6 years then 3 years active reserves. But can not use any of the Military Campgrounds because I did stay and retire. So the questions stands what type of Vet. If you frequent the Military campgrounds I can't get in.
Frankly every Famcamp has its own rules set by the command. Since vets don't have a gov ID card even getting on base would be a problem. 100 % VA vets have ID card and can use base facilities. Some DOD, DOT, Atomic Energy carded people can use famcamps. But use by a vet that served without any current affiliation.....no. Some famcamps allow non-members to be sponsored during certain times of year. I think we all need to remember that base facilities are there for active duty personnel first.
Old 11-05-2015, 11:37 PM   #9

I was asking if I was to join SMART, I wouldn't be able to go on any outings that used the base CGs. Wouldn't do me much good to join if most ot the outings were on base.
meterguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 04:50 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Its my understanding that Smart has most of their gatherings/musters off base as there are many members in same statues as yourself. Maybe a current Smart rep will chime it here..one day.
Old 11-06-2015, 05:20 AM   #11

FYI, or anyone interested, just want to mention that here in Michigan you can be recognized as an active, retired or for service in our military on your driver's license. But that isn't a ticket to anywhere.
spsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 09:51 AM   #12

Quote:
I was asking if I was to join SMART, I wouldn't be able to go on any outings that used the base CGs. Wouldn't do me much good to join if most ot the outings were on base.
That is a very valid question.
markandkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 06:00 AM   #13

Quote:

The Ohio Valley Chapter and the Rocky Top Chapter of SMART hold almost all of their rallys at public campgrounds from what I've seen lurking for the last two years. I haven't been able to actually GET to one of the outings due to conflicting work/family schedules, but I read all of the postings, newsletters, etc.

I can't speak for any of the other chapters as I don't have any first hand experience with them. I do know the National rally recently was not held on base. There are also numerous Caravans organized in different regions with Wagon Masters assigned, routes, campgrounds and tours selected based on input from the members. Generally the "Buying Power" of multiple rigs makes cost less than if you were to venture out on your own to do the same trip.

If anyone wants more info on joining the Ohio Valley or Rocky Top Chapters (Tennessee, Kentucky etc) chapters, pm me and I will get you in touch with the Secretary/Treasurer.

Take care, and safe travels!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 06:04 PM   #14

To the best of my knowledge NO musters/rallies are held on military facilities unless prior coordination is completed with all participants.
If a muster is held, or simply 2 families traveling together, camp on a military installation, there is a work-around. Those with a valid military ID card may usually sponsor anyone of their choosing to accompany them onto the installation.(subject to that particular installations commander) The sponsor assumes all responsibility for their guests while on the installation.
It has been done in the past. My introduction to SMART was at Kirtland AFB. The annual caravan to the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta was camped there while we were there. Many of the rigs were vets without an ID card, so retired vets sponsored them onto the base. One woman, not a vet, was visiting from England, and traveling with a veterans family.
Just like active duty, we've got your back.

I am not an official of SMART, I'm simply a member voicing my opinion and experiences.
Veterans of any USA and Canadian military are eligible to join SMART.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote