Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Military / Veteran RVing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-07-2011, 03:23 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Some Retirees may lose Tricare Prime

Just picked this up off Military.com and according to it ther are reports, Senator John McCain (R-AZ) has stepped up his push to block working age retirees from using TRICARE Prime. McCain suggested to the powerful 12-member Joint Select Committee on Debt Reduction it would help avoid spending cuts that would directly impact readiness. Better start writting your reps.
VSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2011, 04:55 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
At least to some degree that is not new. Two years before retiring in 2009 I was forced off TRICARE and back on to my company plan. If you are eligible for a company plan you are not able to use your TRICARE eligibility.
SVTotem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 05:03 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
sounds about right to me SCREW those who protect US
{moderator edit...political content}
brianj
GOD BLESS OUR PROTECTORS
Old 11-11-2011, 01:49 PM   #4

Send a message via ICQ to TripleE
That is not all he is suggesting according to TREA (The Retired Enlisted Assoc) -

-We’ve reported previously that Senator John McCain, one of the few military retirees in Congress, sent a letter to the “Supercommittee” supporting the President’s proposals to establish enrollment fees for Tricare For Life and increase pharmacy co-pays, as well as changing the military retirement system. We have now learned that McCain also has urged the Supercommittee to consider options for cutting military retiree benefits that have been put forth by the Congressional Budget Office (CBO). They include barring retirees from using TRICARE Prime, imposing a huge new annual enrollment fee for TRICARE Standard of about $1,500 for a single retiree and about $3,500 for a retired family, barring TRICARE from acting as second payer to other insurance, and raising the retiree catastrophic cap from $3,000 to $7,500 a year.
Because these proposals have come from McCain, we have great concern that the Supercommittee could give them serious consideration.
If you live in one of the following states, we urge you to contact the Senator listed, all of whom are members of the Supercommittee, and let them know you are totally opposed to these proposals.
And if you live in Arizona, you might want to call Senator McCain’s office and let him know what you think.
Washington – Sen. Patty Murray
Montana – Sen. Max Baucus
Massachusetts – Sen. John Kerry
Arizona – Sen. John Kyl
Pennsylvania – Sen. Pat Toomey
Ohio – Sen. Rob Portman

All of this at the same time the President is promising this in his Veteran's Day Proclamation.

"We owe them a debt of honor, and it is our moral obligation to ensure they receive our support for as long as they live as proud veterans of the United States Armed Forces. This year, as our troops in Iraq complete their mission, we will honor them and all who serve by working tirelessly to give them the care, the benefits, and the opportunities they have earned."
Old 11-14-2011, 09:14 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to sh1seadad Send a message via MSN to sh1seadad Send a message via Yahoo to sh1seadad
The are trying to find a way to pay for Obama Care thats sad
sh1seadad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 10:10 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The suggestion here is that you do what you can to un-screw them.

Write your congress critters. As someone said "sounds about right to me SCREW those who protect US"

We need to tell Congress that we are offended by this plan.

And for the record... In the "Industry" side of things... Many companies, such as Chrysler (As the example I know best) are doing much the same thing for their retirees. I was reading an article in my union newsletter a while ago.. I read it, re-read it, read it a 3rd time and took it to church with me where I showed it to our head usher.. I said "That you" and he confirmed.. (He worked for Chrysler, Me for the state)

When we retired our employeers agreed to provide health care coverage for us and our families.. Well Chrysler sent him a letter which basically said.. NO MORE. We are dropping retiree health care.

The state has not done that to me yet but what used to cost me $7.00 just a few years ago is now $40.00 (Drug co-pay)

This is simply wrong.. there was a move in Michigan which would have outlawed this kind of one sided modification of retiree benefits.

I fully support such laws.
Old 11-23-2011, 11:07 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Kipling said it best in his poem "Tommy". It's about Tommy Adkins, the British equivalent of GI Joe.
"Oh it's Tommy this and Tommy that, and chuck him out the brute,
But it's savior of 'is country when the guns begin to shoot"
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 09:02 PM   #8

TriCare

I'm a 75 year old 100% disabled vet, from war action, and just found out that by posting advise to other disabled vets on this site that we're appreciated about as much as the people who are taking our benefits away. It ws deleted! Thank John, I should have realized that the forum is for RVers, and not for the vets who make that opportunity available for all. It was just an effort to assist with new FDA rules. I appologize and still love IRV2!
charliereed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 09:10 PM   #9
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Well said Charlie.

Semper Fi, and thank you for what you have given.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 09:43 PM   #10
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliereed View Post
I'm a 75 year old 100% disabled vet, from war action, and just found out that by posting advise to other disabled vets on this site that we're appreciated about as much as the people who are taking our benefits away. It ws deleted! Thank John, I should have realized that the forum is for RVers, and not for the vets who make that opportunity available for all. It was just an effort to assist with new FDA rules. I appologize and still love IRV2!
Normally a post like this would be deleted for discussing moderator actions however this post is a little special as it is not actually discussing moderator actions for the simple reason there is no record of any such post being made, or you ever having a post deleted for that matter.

Are you sure that you clicked the reply button?

This Military/Veteran forum has always been very liberal in it's actions, is it possible you could send me a copy of the post you made or the general gist of it?
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 08:23 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
There seems to be a more insidious way of cutting retiree benefits:

My cardiologist and orthopedics docs now do not take Tricare Standard! They did in February!! The physician reimbursements have been cut, again.

So for me, two stents and a torn meniscus (the meniscus is RV related - I twisted my knee jumping down from the RV while it was up on a low-boy about to be towed) later, it seems I have to find docs who will still take Tricare.

I'm afraid of who I will find.
'11 Z-71 4X4 toad
BudtheDiplomat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 08:32 PM   #12

I've given up fighting the processes. My employer after my Air Force career has cancelled my medical benefits. Tricare seems to be cutting back due to gov. shortfalls. Guess I'll just go to the emergency room & hope for the best. Thanks Obama.
Old 12-07-2011, 10:25 AM   #13

Hey guys (and ladies), don't give up yet. No country can forever allow it's fighting men and women to go without medical assistance, much of which w as caused directly in service to the nation. And, for the Medicare, the country, in time, it will take care of it's elderly that has no way of paying the high cost for care and Rx. Just voice your opinion on every chance you get, AARP (our liberal group that makes millions from supporting our current Government's failed policy), the Officer and Enlisted organizations that provide feedbacks on the subject, etc. The Fat Lady has not song yet! And, McCain, of whom I met when he got off the aircraft at Clark AFB from NVN, was then a hero to many, is now a typical "all for myself" politician who cares noting for the military. It's his $174k lifetime pension that he cares about. Do you think he'll give up a you think he'd give up a penny of it for your health? My suggestion is to do the bes we can for the time, and stay engaged in making it better for the future. We'll all in the same boat, and there's enough of us that our votes will count at the polls. Our forefathers were smart, so let's do it their way - through the political process. Good luck, Charlie
charliereed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 11:35 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Charlie

This is why, in my post, I mentioned that some prior military men seem to forget.

I really expected a lot from McCain and in hindsight, wasted my vote on him. For me, tho, the alternative was worse. His recent actions reveals him for the person he is and not for the military honor for which he has clearly forgotten.

While political polar opposites, I was really disenheartened by Kerry "throwing" his medals away because nobody deserves them. My guess is that he didn't deserve them and knows it. But to cast aspersions on fellow comrades-in-arms is a despicable thing indeed.

An honorable man does the "right" thing when nobody is watching. A dishonorable man will always betray himself.

Proud to have served,

James M. Parrish, Major, U.S. Army, Retired
'11 Z-71 4X4 toad
BudtheDiplomat is offline   Reply With Quote