Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Military / Veteran RVing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-20-2017, 01:27 PM   #43
Senior Member
 
Sweetbriar's Avatar
 
Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,577
All the Forrestal class have gone to Brownsville for "recycling". Kitty Hawk in Bremerton and JFK in Philly are all that remain of the oil burners. Enterprise is still in Newport News. The reactor cores have been removed and as of yesterday she was still in dry dock. Final work on her is scheduled for Bremerton rather than Brownsville.

No telling how long Kitty and JFK will remain on hold. There's still an Adams Class DDG at Philly on hold while the entire class went out early 1990's.
__________________

__________________
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2017, 02:20 PM   #44
Senior Member
 
Sweetbriar's Avatar
 
Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,577
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Our destroyer was maxed out at 28 knots turbines WO and 1200# boilers pulled down to 980# and the BIG E went by us like a '68 GTO racing a Rambler .......

Published is 33.6 KN

Hull speed formula ------43+ KN
(1.34 X sqrt of hull at waterline)
My first ship was an Adams Class DDG that I met in Bremerton at the same time Enterprise was getting refueled and the reworked island back early 1980's. We left the yard a few months a head of her. Couple months later both us and Enterprise were somehow in the same place at the same time in the SOCAL OP Area doing full power runs late one afternoon. She was on the horizon behind us. Even from 10 miles you could see the bow wave. The paint was flacking off the overheads back aft with all the shaking a destroyer does at 34 knots. Went below decks for an hour or so. Came back up and Enterprise was in front of us on the horizon. Wish I had headed up to CIC to see what her speed was.



Heavy rolls on the DDG's and FFG's I served on were a normal event and your either learned to put stuff away or tie it down. Can't imaging how much crap flies around when a carrier heels over in a turn.

__________________

__________________
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 03:16 PM   #45
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 3,973
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russtj60 View Post
I didn't think anyone ran around on JP-5. It required special atomizers in the burner barrels. Quite a feat on 1200 psi boilers. I was Cheng on two ships with those boilers. Thanks for sharing!
I was on same Destroyer...same time frame...in engineering (Machinists Mate-----cross trained in Firerooms)
We burned Bunker-C, Distillate and JP-5. All required different spreader plates and orifices.
JP-5 burned HOT

When I went to work for Utility Company after my discharge the first power plant I worked at was built in the late 30s ----NAVY design unit
Boilers used SAME burner guns. It was like being on-board without the rocking/rolling.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbriar View Post
My first ship was an Adams Class DDG that I met in Bremerton at the same time Enterprise was getting refueled and the reworked island back early 1980's. We left the yard a few months a head of her. Couple months later both us and Enterprise were somehow in the same place at the same time in the SOCAL OP Area doing full power runs late one afternoon. She was on the horizon behind us. Even from 10 miles you could see the bow wave. The paint was flacking off the overheads back aft with all the shaking a destroyer does at 34 knots. Went below decks for an hour or so. Came back up and Enterprise was in front of us on the horizon. Wish I had headed up to CIC to see what her speed was.


Heavy rolls on the DDG's and FFG's I served on were a normal event and your either learned to put stuff away or tie it down. Can't imaging how much crap flies around when a carrier heels over in a turn.
The 'ole dicky-doo' (USS Decatur DDG-31) was handicapped

The keel was bent when it collided with the aircraft carrier USS Lake Champlain (CVS-39) in May 1964 when it was USS Decatur DD-936
Prior to collision due to after steering failure while along side

After collision......

Decommissioned for 2 yrs while undergoing conversion to DDG-31
Reclassifed as Guided Missile Destroyer DDG-31 September 15 1966.



Due to bent keel we 'crabbed' thru the water........hence best we could do WOT was 28+ Knots (was capable of 33 knots prior to damage)

At 28 knots the rumbling/buzzing/vibration was so intense that your feet/calves would go numb down in engineering spaces.

Ah....the memories
__________________
2007 Dodge 3500 w/Tractor Motor & NUWA 5vr
FT traveling Jan 2007 - Jan 2014
Still DEBT Free
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 04:03 PM   #46
Moderator Emeritus
 
Russtj60's Avatar


 
Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Virginia Beach, Va
Posts: 1,843
I am also a veteran of Adams Class destroyers --- USS John King DDG3. Nicknamed Little King because of the DLG with a similar name. We called her "Two gun King" ... If firing two five inchers on a John Wayne Run at 25 knts didn't get your blood pumping nothing would.
__________________
Russ - USN SWO (ret) - 2017 Canyon Star 3710 with TruOX TruCenter TPMS 507 Pulling either a 2012 Road Glide CVO & 2012 Dyna Switchback in an Iron horse trailer or Jeep Unlimited
Russtj60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 04:50 PM   #47
Senior Member
 
Sweetbriar's Avatar
 
Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,577
Really enjoyed my time on the steam plant ship. Particularly doing ASW drills. Everything quiet doing maybe 5 knots on two boilers and the Hellen Keller sonar (blind and deaf half the time) would catch something. Probably two whales making more whales. OOD orders full ahead and a bunch of rubber to clear the ASROC firing arcs. The forced draft blowers along with fuel and water pumps start spooling up then the turbines kick in. Everything start shaking and the giant slug of white water astern. The BTOWs and Throttlemen really need to be in sync not to suck the boilers dry cranking the throttles open.

And don't forget crash back drills with the stern underwater once the rooster tail catches up to the ship. After steer watch panicking with the water leaks because they didn't dog the deck escape scuttle. Ship engulfed in what looked like the boiling ocean. Didn't do those very often. Pretty much reserved for OPPE and INSERV.

UNREP break aways were always something to get your ___ up. All lines clear, full ahead bell ordered followed by a full rudder turn once the stern cleared the supply ship. 40 knots of relative wind blasting sea spray off the bow wave, everything shaking and you're wondering if the main deck is going to be awash with the roll to the outside of the turn. All that and the 1MC blasting music at the same time. Some song that was so distorted by the volume you couldn't tell what it was. Could have been either Willie Nelson and "On the Road Again" or Wilhelm Wagner "Ride of the Valkyries" both sounded the same over the 1MC.

USS Robison DDG 12 1982-1986
USS Vandegrift FFG 48 1986-1989
USS Rodney M Davis FFG 60 1992-1996
USS Carr FFG 52 2002-2004
__________________
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 07:25 PM   #48
Moderator Emeritus
 
Russtj60's Avatar


 
Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Virginia Beach, Va
Posts: 1,843
Ride of the Valkyries was a favorite for full power and crashback demonstrations. Did a tour on the old PEB after several Cheng tours so I've seen allot of them during OPPEs. Biscuit is right about the burner barrels and sprayer plates. Ride of the Valkyries was our favorite breakaway music. Nothing like being alongside an oiler or carrier every three days at 120 feet, finishing, kicking open the ahead throttle...puff of black smoke --- music and a rooster tale - zigazggin once the stern cleared the bow of the UNREP ship....enuf sea stories for me.
__________________
Russ - USN SWO (ret) - 2017 Canyon Star 3710 with TruOX TruCenter TPMS 507 Pulling either a 2012 Road Glide CVO & 2012 Dyna Switchback in an Iron horse trailer or Jeep Unlimited
Russtj60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 10:48 PM   #49
Senior Member
 
Eyephoto's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbriar View Post

UNREP break aways were always something to get your ___ up. All lines clear, full ahead bell ordered followed by a full rudder turn once the stern cleared the supply ship. 40 knots of relative wind blasting sea spray off the bow wave, everything shaking and you're wondering if the main deck is going to be awash with the roll to the outside of the turn. All that and the 1MC blasting music at the same time. Some song that was so distorted by the volume you couldn't tell what it was. Could have been either Willie Nelson and "On the Road Again" or Wilhelm Wagner "Ride of the Valkyries" both sounded the same over the 1MC.

USS Robison DDG 12 1982-1986
USS Vandegrift FFG 48 1986-1989
USS Rodney M Davis FFG 60 1992-1996
USS Carr FFG 52 2002-2004
Our ships company was large enough that we had a band play during UNREP. Quite the morale boost, even for the supply ship USS Wabash, their breakaway was a steam train engine whistle and the song Wabash Cannonball. Ours was Frank Sinatra's Chicago, Chicago that toddlin town. Our power plant was Four boiler rooms, two engine rooms, and four screws. I need to ask the snipes how fast she would go, as I was the only airdale on the ship. USS Chicago CG-11
__________________
'99 Ultimate Freedom, UKQ38KD, on a Freightliner chassis, trailer towing a 1950 Crosley Station wagon .... Member of the Non-Affiliated Camping Group FMCA #F462997 RVM #146
Eyephoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 02:38 AM   #50
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 3,973
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyephoto View Post
Our ships company was large enough that we had a band play during UNREP. Quite the morale boost, even for the supply ship USS Wabash, their breakaway was a steam train engine whistle and the song Wabash Cannonball. Ours was Frank Sinatra's Chicago, Chicago that toddlin town. Our power plant was Four boiler rooms, two engine rooms, and four screws. I need to ask the snipes how fast she would go, as I was the only airdale on the ship. USS Chicago CG-11
USS Chicago (CA_136/CG-11)
Launched in 1944......as a Heavy Gun Cruiser CA-136
Redesignated in 1958....as a Guided Missile Cruiser CG-11
Commissioned 1964 when she left San Francisco Naval Shipyard

Rated at 33 knots

Heck of a run...1944-1980 when decommissioned
Sold for scrap to Southwest Recycling, Inc., Terminal Island, CA 1991


Probably shaved a few whiskers with it since then.......
__________________
2007 Dodge 3500 w/Tractor Motor & NUWA 5vr
FT traveling Jan 2007 - Jan 2014
Still DEBT Free
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 06:22 AM   #51
Senior Member
 
skypilot_1's Avatar
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Summer in The Ozarks
Posts: 768
Quote:
Originally Posted by skypilot_1 View Post
Hey what ever you snipes say about hot wet air is fine with me. I got it from a watch stander that was on the bridge at the time, and the number was larger then 33 kts.
Since this thread subject is still pretty active, as many of us here have been "blue water sailors". I will delve into this again.

That day the Big E did the speed run, I was told we were doing Jack Benny plus one bowline knot. And.....could do even better for short dash. As Forrest Gump said.."Thats all I have to say about that"
__________________
Ret. Military/Corporate Pilot
Key West Snowbirds
"Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter"
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 09:56 AM   #52
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Central Pa
Posts: 33
This thread brings back so many memories, makes me wish I was still in
HTCS AW/SW USN RET.
__________________
Timtoolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 10:23 AM   #53
Senior Member
 
Sweetbriar's Avatar
 
Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,577
Quote:
Originally Posted by skypilot_1 View Post
Since this thread subject is still pretty active, as many of us here have been "blue water sailors". I will delve into this again.

That day the Big E did the speed run, I was told we were doing Jack Benny plus one bowline knot. And.....could do even better for short dash. As Forrest Gump said.."Thats all I have to say about that"
If the ship I was on was doing 34.4 knots (OOD was announcing the speed on the 1MC) and Enterprise caught and passed us over a time period of 60 minutes, call it maybe 15 nautical miles total distant relative to the observer at 10 feet above sea level, that would put their speed well over the advertised capability. Both of us were light loaded with no air wing on the carrier and we only had a partial magazines and liquid loading which helped.
__________________
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 02:00 PM   #54
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 3,973
Quote:
Originally Posted by skypilot_1 View Post
Since this thread subject is still pretty active, as many of us here have been "blue water sailors". I will delve into this again.

That day the Big E did the speed run, I was told we were doing Jack Benny plus one bowline knot. And.....could do even better for short dash. As Forrest Gump said.."Thats all I have to say about that"

Well ole Jack Benny always claimed '39' years old

So 39 + that bowline knot equals 40 knots

As I posted in couple earlier posts:

Big 'E' Published speed is 33.6 KN

BUT USING:

Hull speed formula ------43+ KN
(1.34 X sqrt of hull at waterline)

SO 40+ was attainable and could even get to 43 and a smidgen on a really good run.

As a 'snipe' I understand the 'limitations' of FULL FLANK runs
Physics....tough to ignore
__________________
2007 Dodge 3500 w/Tractor Motor & NUWA 5vr
FT traveling Jan 2007 - Jan 2014
Still DEBT Free
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 03:57 PM   #55
Senior Member
 
skypilot_1's Avatar
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Summer in The Ozarks
Posts: 768
Was gona give it in mach# 0.060, but didn't want to over load any "snipes". Which Ive always said are alot smarter then they appear.....I mean sniffin bunker oil down in a dark hole and all........
__________________
Ret. Military/Corporate Pilot
Key West Snowbirds
"Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter"
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 04:16 PM   #56
Senior Member
 
Traildust's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Posts: 199
I love this S---!
Bill
__________________

__________________
2013 Arctic Fox 27-5L 5th. Wheel, 5th. Airborne Pin Box, B&W Companion Hitch, RVS Wired Rear View Camera, TriMetric Battery Monitor. Honda EU2000i. 2002 F350 Superduty, CC, LB, 6 Speed. 7.3 Diesel. US Navy Retired, E8. No More Football for Me.
Traildust is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How Big is too Big? Hoosblues 5th Wheel Discussion 22 01-24-2012 09:15 PM
big big disapointment!!!!!!! ninos MH-General Discussions & Problems 57 08-26-2010 10:41 PM
I've been lost in password land. Big truck for big rig. Rhonda in NC Toy Haulers Discussion 41 08-04-2005 01:57 AM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.