Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Military / Veteran RVing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-16-2017, 04:16 PM   #1

The Draft Way Back When

I just wanted to talk about how the draft affected me and my life during the Viet Nam War without it getting political please. I just wonder how today's young people would deal with that staring down their neck. The time frame for me was in late 1969 through 1970. I managed to get accepted to a University so I got a deferment for then but my folks didn't have a lot of money so I had to try and work my way through. Anyway it wasn't long before I saw the light and new I couldn't work and stay in school full time. I had a very low draft number so I only had two choices, join the AirForce or the Navy or get drafted into the Army or the Marines. I think most of the draftees were for the Army though. Well I joined the Navy and still ended up in country as we used to say. I was lucky though as I spent my time at Da Nang Air Base where I had a nice Barracks to live in and three cooked meals a day, way better than the poor guys out in the boonies. Da Nang did get it's share of Rocket and Mortar attacks plus those sneaky VC they call Sappers.
So that's my draft history as it was. Now that I look back on it all I think it was for the best as it turned out. I survived 21 years of the Navy, finished my Degree in Aeronautical Engineering retired from the Navy after 21 years and then took an early retirement from the DOD all by the ripe old age of 55. So as I look back I am glad the draft pushed me in the right direction. The crowd I was running with before the Navy probably would have got me in a lot of trouble sooner or later.
Biil
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2017, 04:46 PM   #2

Similar story here, joined the USAF in 1966. Got an early out to go into Law Enforcement. Joined the LA County Sheriff's in 1969 and retired in 2003. When I went through the Sheriff's Academy, it was actually tougher than AF boot camp. 98% of us were former military. In the mid 80's I worked the Academy as a Drill Instructor and at that time 2% were former military. Those 2% shined like a ultra bright LED flashlight. The other 98% were dismal at best. Over half of the 98% still lived with their mother and father. I'd love it if the draft returned. It might make a huge difference in how people think, especially the 18 to 30 year old crowd who have had everything handed to them on a silver plate.
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 04:56 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
The only lottery I ever won in my life. My number was 7.. I went down the next day and joined the Air Force. The recruiter said they weren't supposed to accept draftees, but I got their early, so he could squeeze it by.

Looking back, it was the b est thing that ever happened in my life.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 05:03 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to JohnFreyja Send a message via MSN to JohnFreyja
Totally agree! I went into Navy right after High School. Best thing for me at that time. Out in 1965 and into Law Enforcement spent 1 year in home town PD then accepted to Seattle PD and retired in 1999. Sad to see the lack of backing for Law Enforcement and more violence than ever.
JohnFreyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 04:41 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Good thread!

I have a similar story -- best thing that happened for me. (Drugs, bad crowd, no direction, anti-establishment, anti-parents, etc.)

Dropped out of college (draft number turned out to be 361!!!) and enlisted in the Army. ALthough my Dad was in the Normandy invasion as a Grunt, I had no idea of the difference between a SGT and a LT. Went SF, then Vietnam; got out because the rift was going on and it was "FTA" in those days anyway, huh?
Went back to school on GI Bill, because I couldn't get a job.
Still no money, so went on through higher education on an Army Scholarship, which resulted in payback time -- and next thing I knew, I was over 20 years and able to retire! (Retired the first time.)

Things I got to see and do, and the places I went (55 countries) far surpassed any experiences of my peers who were not military.

But, would I do it again?? I'm not sure...
Fate does not always deal you a good hand.
Could have turned out nasty.
Old 04-18-2017, 05:55 PM   #6

Late 60's early 70's and my draft number was 17. I got accepted into college and Dad said go. "If you still want to go into the military after you graduate you will be going in as an officer".

Two of my high school buddies did things differently. They enlisted and were going to show the world what they could do.

I worked my way through engineering school (the war was a great motivator). In my senior year the draft was temporarily suspended for a short time. I immediately went in and got a 1A and managed to avoid the draft for a year. After a year of not being drafted you automatically got a permanent deferment. I went on to get two engineering degrees.

One of my highschool buddies came home in a coffin. The other buddy, his body was never found. He is still listed as MIA.

I live with that memory every day of my life. I still grieve for those two buddies who never had a chance. It has been 45 years and it still brings a tear to my eye typing this.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 06:24 PM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I graduated in 1971 and went into the Navy in October, turned 19 in Boot Camp. My draft number was low too. My father who was in a Sherman Tank under Patton said join the Navy where you will have three meals a day and a place to sleep every night. I did and Served on a Destroyer, two west pac's and got out an E-5. Went to school on the GI bill such as it was for Vietnam Vets. Business degree in four years, started my own business and just retired 2 years ago. The navy taught me discipline and what my talents are. I never regretted serving, and am proud I did. I now volunteer on the Rifle Squad at Fort Snelling National Cemetery every Tuesday. We buried 7 Vets today. It is my honor.
Old 04-19-2017, 05:24 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
By the time I was eligible, they weren't drafting anyone but still doing the lottery. My number was 300+. I felt that any threat of military service for me was over. My brain had been poisoned by the media coverage of that war.

I went to college and became best friends there with an active duty Marine captain whom the USMC had sent back to school to complete his degree. From outward appearances, we were polar opposites. I looked like Jesus in a silky looking disco shirt, and he was ramrod straight, high and tight. Truly an odd couple. At any rate, I became intrigued with his lifestyle and thought I'd try it. That was in 1977 and I retired in 2006. Whodathunkit?
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 06:05 AM   #9

We didn't have numbers in 1964, you were just eligible until age 25 then and that did not help getting a job. Companies didn't want draft eligible people. So I enlisted in the Army for helicopters and wanted to go to Viet Nam. Had to spend a year in Germany before I got to Viet Nam. Stayed 3 years, had an important job in a Assault Helicopter Company.

Came home because the finance said she was tired of me being overseas and then broke up I got home. Oh well, went to college, got into computers.

Now homeless traveling the country.
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 08:23 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Never had the honor of serving, but remember my draft lottery number, 196. A college buddy's birthday came up with number ONE. He immediately joined our campus ROTC program.

The college I went to was what I'd refer to as a commuter campus. Weekends the place would empty out as many went home. I was working my way through school so it would be me and several vets, all on the GI bill, around the dining hall table on those weekends. Great people, most fresh from the muddy hell hole that was Vietnam. One exception, I remember, had spent two years in Korea. Why they took me into their circle I'll never know, but the only time the conversation ever got heated was when one of them, happened to be from a wealthy family, took exception to my collecting GI bill benefits thanks to my dad's service (Navy, tail end of WW-II and Korea). Another pressed the offended party until he admitted that his dad was paying 90% of the freight, so to speak, for his education. The last thing said after that admission was, "his dad paid for it". Otherwise there was never any discussion about what they'd done, what they'd seen or endured, and I was smart enough not to ask.

All of you deserve the benefits you receive and then some.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 11:49 AM   #11
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Three weeks after graduating UNC-Chapel Hill I got a draft status change from 2S to 1A. Two weeks later my draft notice came. I opted to join the Air Force. I went through pilot training and became a flight instructor at Laughlin AFB in Del Rio, Tx. It wound up being a great time in my life. I'd do it again!
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 12:55 PM   #12

Wow- great responses everyone. I just had another idea, maybe I should start a post on how many of us got Dear John Letters while we were over there. I sure did, the love of my life sent me one because she couldn't wait and found someone else. That worked out good for me I met my DW of 43 years after her.
Bill
Old 04-19-2017, 01:05 PM   #13
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traildust View Post
Wow- great responses everyone. I just had another idea, maybe I should start a post on how many of us got Dear John Letters while we were over there. I sure did, the love of my life sent me one because she couldn't wait and found someone else. That worked out good for me I met my DW of 43 years after her.
Bill
Sometimes God closes a door but opens a window.

Great song:

TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 01:09 PM   #14

Well my draft number was 52 and i had dropped out of High School was 18 young and dumb.

But thankfully my dad was a 28 year retired Air Force member.

He told me Join the Air Force or the Navy before the Army gets you.

Well the Air Force would not take me with no High School diploma so in the Navy i went. Had my GED before boot camp was over.

Spent 4 years 1969-1972 in Beeville Texas at NAS Chase Field Naval Air Base. (Chase field is now part of the Texas prison system).
TxTwoSome is offline   Reply With Quote