RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Military / Veteran RVing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-10-2019, 06:51 AM   #1

iRV2 No Limits Club
The USA FLAG ETIQUETTE, How the American Flag should be correctly Displayed

American Flag Etiquette

The funny thing in searching US Flag Etiquette in the forum search, I found no prior post on just DISPLAYING or how to display the USA Flag. In the Young Marines, I was the keeper of the colors and performed in many Honor Guard and City parades. Over my lifetime. I will often found the US Flag displayed improperly on the wrong side of the other State Flags, platforms, stages, placement of the US Flag Poles. The thing to remember the US Flag goes on its own RIGHT or another way to think about the Speakers RIGHT as this is known as the place of high honor and respect.

What do you think when you see the American Flag Flying incorrectly?

What do you know about the American Flag others may not remember?

What do you know about the meaning of the Flags Stars, Stripes, Red, White, and Blue Colors?

Do you fly your own American Flag, on your own RV?

https://www.vfw.org/community/flag-etiquette

Just thought some of you would like to reflect on your Military time in service to your country and what your country and US Flag mean to you and your family.

Pictures, Videos of your Home Flag Welcomed.

(Please with respect and honor only) Thank You, Veterans, for your Military Service.

Dogman635UT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2019, 07:30 AM   #2

I fly the flag 24/7 while wintering, and it's lite up at night......the light is on a dusk to dawn sensor...and a motorized aluminum telescopic pole of my design.....

Old 11-10-2019, 07:32 AM   #3

Growing up in the country and attending my first six years of school in a one room school house I learned to respect the American Flag at an early point in my life. Each morning before classes began the whole class would stand, someone would get selected to hold the flag and we would hold our right hand over our heart and in unison recite the Pledge to our Flag.
After reciting the Pledge we would all sing a patriotic song together. These songs included "God Bless America", "My Country Tis of Thee", "The National Anthem" among others. This was all followed up with reciting "The Lord's Prayer".
Then classes began. This is a whole different mindset than we see in schools today.
Any time I attend an event and the "National Anthem" is played or the Pledge to the Flag is spoken I follow the protocol I grew up with.
I have a 20' pole which attaches to the ladder on the rear of my coach. When I am parked somewhere and am staying there I put the flag pole up and display "Old Glory" proudly at the top of the pole with proper lighting. I also have a lighted flag mounted on a frame I built out of PVC pipe which I can display in the passenger's side of the windshield. The blue lights representing the stars twinkle while the red and white bulbs representing the stripes stay lighted steadily. I have received many compliments on my efforts to display my flags.
I display the "American Flag" when home. It hangs on a pole on my front porch and has solar lights which illuminate the flag at night time. It comes in during stormy weather and stands proudly next to my front door safe and sound.
Lynn
Old 11-10-2019, 07:50 AM   #4

I'm old enough that in my grade school we stood and said the pledge every morning. The American flag standing proudly at the front of our classroom.

My grandfather, father, and all four uncles served in WWII.

If we are stationary for a week or more my flag pole goes up. It has a very bright solar light on top that turns with the movement of the flag from dusk to dawn.

I'm sad to say that in the Alabama park we are currently staying at there are only maybe 10 flags displayed out of 50 sites.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 09:35 AM   #5

Simply flying the flag is good in these days. I donít get rattled if itís not lit at night or other various deviations so long as itís not done disrespectfully
Old 11-10-2019, 02:14 PM   #6

There are several people on our street that fly the flag but only two of us that have it lighted at night. We are both retired Navy.
Bill
Old 11-11-2019, 05:24 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I appreciate that some on our street fly the flag but wish they would follow display protocol re lighting and inclement weather.
Radacravitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 10:56 PM   #8

Several years ago I had a management contract on a hotel across the street from the Naval Station. It had 7 flag poles in front. Larger main pole with stars and stripes out front and 6 a bit shorter behind. One thing I remembered was that following etiquette for the services flags, the USMC flag was always first, left to right. I ordered and installed all new flags when I took over the place.
Well, just a couple days later a big black 4x truck pulls in the drive while I'm outside. Out gets one very unimpressed Marine who asks "who put those flags up and put the Corps flag that way?" To which I proudly proclaimed "I did! And, the Corps flag is right where it belongs, first in line! Just as the Marines are usually the first ones in!" He didn't seem impressed! His reply was "Yes but...we never hit the beach on our heads!" Yeap, I hung the EGA upside down!
SlaterDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 11:53 PM   #9

Search for "American Flag Code"
KiteSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 11:58 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radacravitz View Post
I appreciate that some on our street fly the flag but wish they would follow display protocol re lighting and inclement weather.
I believe the Flag Code was amended awhile back to allow flags made of synthetic materials such as nylon which survive inclement weather better than natural fabrics like cotton to be flown 24/7 if properly illuminated at night.
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 12:00 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlaterDoc View Post
Well, just a couple days later a big black 4x truck pulls in the drive while I'm outside. Out gets one very unimpressed Marine who asks "who put those flags up and put the Corps flag that way?" To which I proudly proclaimed "I did! And, the Corps flag is right where it belongs, first in line! Just as the Marines are usually the first ones in!" He didn't seem impressed! His reply was "Yes but...we never hit the beach on our heads!" Yeap, I hung the EGA upside down!
EGA? Do you mean BBF?
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
Old 11-12-2019, 11:40 PM   #12

BBF???
Eagle, Globe & Anchor
SlaterDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 11:59 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlaterDoc View Post
BBF???
Eagle, Globe & Anchor
BBF...
Bird, Ball and Fishhook
What us Rust Pickers call the USMC flag when we want to push a Jarhead's buttons.

Please don't tell my MGYSGT FIL and my LCPL son.
Old 11-13-2019, 06:02 AM   #14

I live in a gated community and I fly my flag each and every day, it is lit at night. I am waiting for the HOA to put the cabosh on the flag I served under for all those years. They have restrictions and they will enforce them because of ascetics.
They should never have restrictions on any American that wants to show the colors, it should be a right.............my right.

corjaguar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
america, american flag, federal holiday, oldglory, rvflags, usflag, veteran