Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Military / Veteran RVing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 10:37 PM   #57

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Please see above.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2012, 10:55 PM   #58

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sc3283 View Post
flagg, please give the "long" answer letting us know why gov't employer broken promises are different than the private sector employer broken promises, or union broken promises.

thanks!
Hey....a "Taxpayer"!

We've been meaning to say "Thanks for all you've done to pay the bills all these many long years, and for everything you're still going to do!"

Sorry it's taken so darn long, but better late than never, right?

Here ya go:

With much Love and Undying Gratitude,

The U.S.of A.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:40 PM   #59

National RV Owners Club
My brother and I joined the Marine Corps in 1950 as soon as we were told about NORTH KOREA coming south, we could not wait to get in the action we were in KOREA for 13 months
We serve for three years and came out both a buck sargent.
Sence then my brother passed away and I am still kicking at 83 years old.
Just a thought.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:21 AM   #60

Ford Super Duty Owner
I belive the benefits Should set in stone for whatever was in effect for the day you signed the contract.
The rules of a Game should be NOT be changed while in play.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Old 11-15-2012, 02:33 PM   #61

Freightliner Owners Club
Francesca: You're welcome. BTW, you seem surprised there are still some of us out here.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:43 PM   #62

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
Francesca: You're welcome. BTW, you seem surprised there are still some of us out here.
Well, Actual Taxpayer numbers are shrinking...I think it was just last year that we passed the 50%-of -the-population mark for folks that receive some kind of income from the Feds...

Hang in there, Mr. and Mrs. Taxpayer!
Old 11-15-2012, 02:46 PM   #63

Freightliner Owners Club
You know at some point that could even effect the outcome of a election.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:48 PM   #64

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
You know at some point that could even effect the outcome of a election.

Old 11-15-2012, 03:00 PM   #65

People don’t pay income taxes because they don’t earn enough money to pay income taxes. If you would do some research you would find that someone recently said the number is 47%. And some more research could really surprise you to find out who put the policies in place. It's a shame this thread has gone so far off the topic and seems to have gotten political.

Think tanks make all kind of suggestions. Most of them are ignored.
Old 11-15-2012, 03:08 PM   #66

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
What everyone seems to miss, is that we could cut the Military budget by 25% and not cut any healthcare or pension benefits. Anyone who has served know just how much money is wasted, how many schools there are around for military kids that no one needs, and how many vendors the military doesn't need.

How many things get thrown away, never being used. How many things just sit and never get used. All you ever hear about is the needed equipment our soldiers need that they don't get.

On this thread, someone said these benefits should be set in stone, and many thought they would be. If you joined the armed forces for the benefits and retirement, then you are no different than the people who went to work for the city, state, or Federal government, because you felt the benefits and job security made it worth it.

NOTHING IS SET IN STONE, everyone knows that. I do truly believe, now that we have a great way to share information, more people with the ability to solve these problems will have access to the information to do so.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Old 11-15-2012, 05:10 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
We are not even in the same canoe. We choose a lifestyle, you choose a lifestyle. We choose one that "promised" us certain benefits. Those promises were never discussed as being cut back, done away with, or given to others. You were not promised anything, it's what you choose. If things went right for you, when you were around 40 or so years old, your house was paid for, and most of your bills were paid for if you managed your money and savings correctly. On the other hand, when I was 40 or so it was only then that I could afford to purchase a home. Why, because every 2-3 years I was moving. I could not afford to have a home and rent, or pay my Basic Allowance for Quarters, and maintain both. I tried in 1976, figuring that after 16 years I was close enough to retirement to settle down. We purchased a house in Alliance, NC on 6 acres of land, and the house was built in 1894-95. We really like this place. My mortgage was $259 a month. Just under 2 years after living in it I received orders to Okinawa, Japan. I sold the house, but only to find out several months later that I would have been able to afford it, skimping a little in Okinawa, and have a place to return to, but it didn't happen that way. It is the fear of the unknown when you have to pack your family up and not know what you may encounter in the next 3 years.

Then there is the family. The wife get's uprooted every 2-3 years. The children change schools every 2-3 years, and as nice as the military is in trying to manage transfers to occur during the summer months when school is out - well it just does not always happen. It is a hardship, but it is a lifestyle we choose. Just like RV'ing is a lifestyle we choose.

Trust me, and my family, that we would not change the lifestyle we had. Yes, it was tough, but it is what we choose with the anticipation that in the end, retirement would suffice to support us. My retirement pay did pay my mortgage, but I still had to work for a living to put food on the table and support us in the other areas. And we pay taxes on all of our "pensions."

Military not the same canoe? It's not even in the same ocean.
Well said "Top", those that have not made the sacrifice have no idea, a job transfer for us even with a promotion in rank meant major sacrifices for us and our families. At least for me it never included a corner office with a view and a new company car!
Old 11-15-2012, 05:15 PM   #68

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via AIM to Shellback1
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davdeb1 View Post
What everyone seems to miss, is that we could cut the Military budget by 25% and not cut any healthcare or pension benefits. Anyone who has served know just how much money is wasted, how many schools there are around for military kids that no one needs, and how many vendors the military doesn't need.

How many things get thrown away, never being used. How many things just sit and never get used. All you ever hear about is the needed equipment our soldiers need that they don't get.

On this thread, someone said these benefits should be set in stone, and many thought they would be. If you joined the armed forces for the benefits and retirement, then you are no different than the people who went to work for the city, state, or Federal government, because you felt the benefits and job security made it worth it.

NOTHING IS SET IN STONE, everyone knows that. I do truly believe, now that we have a great way to share information, more people with the ability to solve these problems will have access to the information to do so.

x2--
Old 11-15-2012, 10:13 PM   #69
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Most of us military folks were talked to by "Recruiters." It's not strange that the recruiting stations for each branch of the serves are fairly close to each other, in fact, may even share the same office suite in today's world. For us old timers, we were promised that if we kept our nose clean we would get 3 square meals a day, a place to sleep, and the chance to "See The World." Also we were promised that if we decided to stay in and make a career out of the military we would have free medical for life, and a pension for life. Please pick up on the word in the promise "for life."

Now how many civilian counterparts were recruited and promised those items.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:41 PM   #70

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M
Most of us military folks were talked to by "Recruiters." It's not strange that the recruiting stations for each branch of the serves are fairly close to each other, in fact, may even share the same office suite in today's world. For us old timers, we were promised that if we kept our nose clean we would get 3 square meals a day, a place to sleep, and the chance to "See The World." Also we were promised that if we decided to stay in and make a career out of the military we would have free medical for life, and a pension for life. Please pick up on the word in the promise "for life."

Now how many civilian counterparts were recruited and promised those items.
Wayne - looking back, maybe I should have suspected something was up when I was promised they wouldn't shave my head completely. My dad had told me that prior to joining the Navy and having his shaved, he had straight, not curly hair. He had the pictures to prove it. I liked my hair the way it was. While my hair grew back as it was, maybe its behind the hair loss I've experienced that dad more or less escaped. Ha!

Little did I know that being made too look like everyone else was the least of the beat down i was in for - and as an airman I know I had it easy. But the build up that followed and pride instilled was worth it.

I will never forget Tech Sgt. Strickland and Staff Sgt. Guerra. They taught me much in a short time in basic. For the life of me I cannot remember the name of the guy that went AWOL on night two. I do remember watching him paraded by us a week or two later in shackles. We had forgotten all about him by then. Uncle Sam had not. When's the last time you saw a guy walk off a job only to brought before you in shackles - or even seen shackles for that matter. .
Closed Thread

Tags
tank