RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Military / Veteran RVing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 10:01 PM   #1
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Think Tank - - "cut benefits for active & retired military..."

This really sucks.

Think Tank - cut benefits

It is also in the "Navy Times," just search for "benefits."

and the Marine Corps Times.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2012, 10:13 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M
This really sucks.

Think Tank - cut benefits

It is also in the "Navy Times," just search for "benefits."

and the Marine Corps Times.
I don't see an article title that refers to benefits.

Old 11-04-2012, 10:14 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Where do these clowns come from? I'll bet not a single one of these "report creators" ever wore the uniform. What a direct slap in the face to our veterans and currently deployed military heros. It turns my stomach to hear such garbage.
Old 11-05-2012, 03:02 AM   #4

If we want to make sure such crap never gets to committee in congress let alone come out of committee make it mandatory for every single person in the country including the president and all members of congress. Suddenly it will become a DEAD issue.

As long as .......... Now I'm fired up and it's only 0500 hrs.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:12 AM   #5
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Folks, some political rants and comments have been removed.

Let's stay on topic please.

Old 11-05-2012, 08:42 AM   #6
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thank you for re-opening this thread.

To all readers, the intent of my original post was not political, but for information purposes that can affect all of us receiving fixed income from the Government. Consider that such a proposal would be picked up and run with to reduce our benefits, could you take a 30% cut in fixed income pay, your retirement pay, your military pay, your Social Security pay? Just take the figure $100,000 and reduce it by 30%. A loss of $30,000 annually. That would hurt me. Please, take the words liberal, conservative, or any party affiliations out of the topic and just respond on the affect such or any implementations of the article would have for you and your family.

Consider that three military informational news media felt there was a story for their troops to read.

Consider this. Most likely the Volunteer military would be done away with, and possibly the draft being reinstated.

Consider this: It is stated that the military person(s) is overpaid by $5400 annually because they are making more than their counterpart in the civilian community.
Where in the world did that idea come from. Explain where a ground force troop has a counterpart in the civilian world? Let's see, Luby's, Dallas Tower, etc.

Please refrain from making political comments about the Government or it's administration. If you can't just don't post here.

Semper Fi!
Old 11-05-2012, 09:01 AM   #7
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
I don't see an article title that refers to benefits.
Hi Steve, and thank you for your service.

If you receive a military pension, disability pension, health care through the Tri-Care system, you are receiving benefits. The are all benefits. The very first paragraph in the article refers to "health care benefits."

Congress at any time could enact a law to reduce your benefits. Even your military retirement pay. It would stir up the "mud" but they could do it.

The think tank is the "Center for American Progress," and they report themselves as to be an independent nonpartisan educational institute. However, reading their "About" page I do not agree because of some information concerning their purpose.

My concern is that once information for a a subject that is "supposed" to cut the budget by trillions of dollars is published, individual entities can take that information, embellish it to their content, and possibly, just possibly get it into the legal system for making any portion of it law.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:27 AM   #8

Wayne, with all due respect, you're wrong about the Center for American Progress suggesting that veterans benefits should be included in defense cuts. The following is a quote from that report: Rebalancing Our National Security by the Center for American Progress

"As we have noted in the past, including the budget for Veterans Affairs as security spending is perfectly defensible because this spending is clearly a cost of military security. We have excluded it from our framework because spending to care for veterans, while a necessary and important consideration when undertaking wars of choice, does not contribute directly to our security".

In one of your post you suggest that we ignore the idea that this is a Liberal agenda, but you're OP and title certainly suggest just that. In actuality, the conservative agenda, as in the Paul Ryan plan, suggest deep cuts in the Mandatory Programs which directly affects our benefits.

The premise of this thread is certainly political and, according to irv2 rules, is not related to RVing.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:41 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It doesn't matter who is President... if the debt continues to increase by trillions, eventually, there won't be ANY money to pay out for any reason because it will all come unglued.
Old 11-05-2012, 03:04 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajlcal
The premise of this thread is certainly political and, according to irv2 rules, is not related to RVing.
Here's how I would relate it RVing - say you were planning to go fulltime next year and suddenly you found a component of your monthly income reduced by 25 - 35%. Could you still make the plan work down a full tank of diesel a month or a months worth of food.

Without disclosing my situation or anyone else needing to disclose theirs - or getting into the politics of it - how would such a cut impact you? And no need to debate who might be grandfathered in with no impact or pointing fingers at all - clearly it would be a harder row to hoe for anyone to take that kind of hit. This is the very kind of thing that has my anxiety level up a bit in planning an early retirement. In current terms I will be fine - hit my benefits and I may need to reconsider.

I also feel like this could hamper my RVing while I'm still employed. It is certainly a discretionary expense to take a nice long drive for a week or two here and there and long weekends close to home.

What would you have to trade away if such a cut were to impact you?
Steve
Old 11-05-2012, 03:20 PM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Thank you for re-opening this thread.

To all readers, the intent of my original post was not political
Hi, Wayne

For what it's worth, I think it's the use of the word "Liberal" in the thread title that politicizes an otherwise neutral subject.

Maybe revising the thread title would remove that impression...

Francesca
Old 11-05-2012, 03:41 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca

Hi, Wayne

For what it's worth, I think it's the use of the word "Liberal" in the thread title that politicizes an otherwise neutral subject.

Maybe revising the thread title would remove that impression...

Francesca
X 3.5
Old 11-05-2012, 04:11 PM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
looks like LIBERAL was removed but not replaced with another correct adjective
that being said,
cola raise for us retirees is sliiiiiiiiiiim sure doesn't make up or even close to how thin it got this year

i to have searched for a civilian counter part to do the job I had and keep the hours I did, and take on the responsibilities I did
closet thing i found was over 1 million per year, sure didnt make that in my tenure.
i volunteered because i LOVE my country, and firmly believe in what I did.
however contracts were signed and checks cashed. I just want what was agreed to when I began.
I ask how come our mil retirement is taxed, but we cant claim it as income if want to put some in a IRA?
not that I have a lot extra this year.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:28 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
This whole thread is political. How many workers in the US took jobs, with union contracts where the employees and current workers had to make concessions.

Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Closed Thread

Tags
tank