Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Military / Veteran RVing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-19-2014, 09:28 PM   #43

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Location: We fulltime, so "Home is where we park it!" (Originally Las Vegas)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Looks like this conversation about Tricare will be moot in a few years. The entire program may be changed to only one option - "Consolidated" TRICARE. Entire story here: 'Consolidated' TRICARE: Higher Fees, More Freedom | Military.com
I believe the article refers to Tricare "Prime," not standard. Prime is an HMO of sorts; whereas TC Standard is an 80/20 plan that allows you to see who you want without a referral. I'm hoping that never changes!

'06 Newmar Dutchstar 4320 400hp Cummins on a Spartan tag-axle chassis w/ 2014 CRV
CWinLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2014, 05:45 AM   #44

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWinLV View Post
I believe the article refers to Tricare "Prime," not standard.
The article is not JUST about TC Prime but the whole TC program. All of the TC options under this proposal will morph into a single option with higher fees and other changes that will save DoD money and cost beneficiaries more. The writings on the wall, change is coming. Maybe not this year but it's coming. The military healthcare system has always been in a state of change. Sometimes changing for the better and sometimes not so much. For the last twenty years or more most of the changes have been positive. It wasn't that many years ago that there was no such thing as "TRICARE4Life. When a military member turned 65 and went on Medicare they lost CHAMPUS and anything Medicare didn't pay was their responsibility. It appears in the latest proposal TRICARE4Life would remain free for those presently on it but there will be fees involved for those aging into it. I believe we earned our health care benefit but we're also blessed to have such good coverage even with some changes.
Floridakamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 08:50 PM   #45

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Location: We fulltime, so "Home is where we park it!" (Originally Las Vegas)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridakamper View Post
The article is not JUST about TC Prime but the whole TC program.
Thanks for pointing that out. The article started out referring to Prime, but I missed the other references. Guess it was "wishful reading!". We are very happy with our plan now, and I don't think we'll like the changes :-(

'06 Newmar Dutchstar 4320 400hp Cummins on a Spartan tag-axle chassis w/ 2014 CRV
CWinLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 08:43 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serengeti View Post
Thanks, will look into it. I haven't put much thought about domicile since Florida doesn't have income tax, but I know a lot change their residence to either Texas or South Dakota.
We are full timers and our address is in Box Elder, SD near Ellsworth AFB and have Prime. We have found that licensing and insurance on our vehicles is much cheaper. My wife spent about a year researching on this before we did go full time. We use a mail forwarding company based out of Box Elder. The one good thing about SD is that there is no vehicle inspection like in Texas and you only have to go back every 5 yrs. to renew your license. You only have to spend one night in an RV park or hotel to get your drivers license and become a citizen of SD. Try looking into Americas Mailbox to see what they do for you.
colokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 11:43 AM   #47

Thought I'd put my 2 cents in, though probably not worth that, but maybe some part of this will help or inform someone.
Retired from the Army in early 90 and turned 65 this year. Since retiring, I have been self employed and used my wife's insurance as primary as secondary. That was simple and a no brainer; worked like a champ. I was given a small VA disability, which I didn't even ask for, when I retired, but never went near the VA, due to horror stories from fellow vets. However, since my wife was retiring at the end of 2012, I thought maybe I shouldn't look at all options for health coverage, since money saved is money earned. That made me go to the VA here in Anchorage, AK in 2012. Surprise, surprise (not to my wife), I'm a dumbass. The VA said that my disability rating was ridiculously low and sent me to the VA rep in the building. I was really leary of all of this, being a 60s Viet vet, I didn't trust anybody there. As I said, I am a dumbass. The VA reclassified me to 70%. Now I have free VA medical care, Medicare and tricare. The VA care has been excellent.
Some months ago, I ended up in the emergency room in Pahrump, NV. All I had to say was that I was covered by VA. Didn't cost me a dime and the VA sent me a letter just to verify that what they had been billed for was legitimate. WOW, I was shocked.
The mess that I am on get mailed to me by the VA, no matter where I am at no cost.
However, there is always a however, when turning 65, you are automatically put on medicare. In order to retain TRICARE, you must take Part B, which I did. Medicare IS NOT FREE! It costs me over $200 p/mo, which is deducted from my S'S check. The payment amount is based on earnings from two years ago.
Anyway, hope that helps or informs someone.
BMW, I never understood TRICARE and still don't :-)
Old 07-20-2014, 05:50 PM   #48

Crolfmilton, nice to hear a success story on here about the VA given all the bas press lately.

Dennis (Retired USAF & UPS) & Linda (Retired UPS)
2014 Winnebago Journey 34B and homes in Anchorage AK & Bullhead City AZ
djc454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 12:41 AM   #49

Dennis and Linda, I cant complain much about the Anchorage Va. The only problem that I had was that the original physician tjat I had She was great) departed and I was qssigned to a NP. To keep it short, what an incompetent b€;=h. I screamed bloody murder. She no longer works there. The physician that I am with now is great.
Anyway, safe travels from your Big Lake neighbor :-) we generally run for it at the end of September to our place in NV and return in May.
Old 07-21-2014, 01:00 AM   #50

Thanks croftmilton. I've only been waiting 14 months for my initial orientation and a appointment with a doctor, PA, or nurse. I'm sure it's busy and I'm patient to a point but.....

Guess I'm just gonna have to pay them a visit because the daily phone calls for the last week aren't accomplishing anything. At least it's not the facility in Phoenix!

Gonna be here another month or so before we head back south so we'll see how it goes.

Much like you, I've been retired since 1992 from the Air Force and totally unemployed since July of 2012 and enjoying life.

Safe travels,
Den
Old 07-23-2014, 03:43 PM   #51

Dennis, go see the VFW rep at the VA in Anchorage. That guy is great. I swear he can move mountains
Old 07-23-2014, 10:51 PM   #52

Thanks Jerry, they called today and I have an appointment with the doctor in October. Could of had a earlier appointment in September but I was not willing to change our travel plans so I'll/we'll be back in October. Can't complain, at least it's a start.

Dennis (Retired USAF & UPS) & Linda (Retired UPS)
2014 Winnebago Journey 34B and homes in Anchorage AK & Bullhead City AZ