Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Military / Veteran RVing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-24-2013, 06:27 AM   #1

Tricare while traveling

Any words of wisdom for fulltiming?

Just spent 2 hrs on phone to get prescription refilled. Had 2 bases close but could not be referred tricare referred to local urgent care. Did get script filled.

The script is a controlled substance. Have VA disability for the condition. Is it better to use VA facilities?

Tricare said to change from prime to standard.
BIJ6165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2013, 06:40 AM   #2

Recently experienced, for the first time, using Tricare while out of your home region--terrible!!!!! Key is to 1] transfer to the new region if you are going to be there while; 2] have a good working ralationship with your home PCP support staff; 3] sad but true--go to the emergency room vs urgent care if you need care. Using the Rx by mail program helps but you need a valid Rx.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 06:43 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
Recently experienced, for the first time, using Tricare while out of your home region--terrible!!!!! Key is to 1] transfer to the new region if you are going to be there while; 2] have a good working ralationship with your home PCP support staff; 3] sad but true--go to the emergency room vs urgent care if you need care. Using the Rx by mail program helps but you need a valid Rx.
Agree, terrible. Used the Rx by mail while at home but the new Rx was the issue. Resolved for now.
BIJ6165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 07:05 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIJ6165 View Post
Any words of wisdom for fulltiming?

The script is a controlled substance. Have VA disability for the condition. Is it better to use VA facilities?

Tricare said to change from prime to standard.
We spend 3 to 4 months in the south each winter.

I too have VA disability. My VA doctor usually refills my meds for one year. Most of my meds are a 90 day supply. For controlled substances it is 30 days. I can go to the VA Web Site and check a box when I need a refill. I have told the VA to send my meds by US Postal Service and not by UPS or FedEx because we travel a lot. The VA noted this in my VA file. That way my meds are not sitting on our front porch while we are away.

When we are away from home the VA sends my meds by US Mail to our house. I fill out a Temporary Change of Address form from the Post Office. The post office forwards my mail, including my meds, to my mail service in Florida. I'm not sure if my mail service is required to sign for controlled substances or not. I do have a controlled substance but it is not pain meds. You may be able to call your VA and talk to the pharmacy about a refill if you doctor does not want to give you more than a month at a time. What I don know is my mail service packages up my mail and meds and sends them to me via FedEx. I don't have to sign for the FedEx delivery.

This has been working for me for three years. There is a lag time because my meds are sent to my home address in Washington State, and then to my mail service in Florida, and then from Florida to whatever my current address is.

Safe Travels.

JD
Yellowboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 05:26 AM   #5

Excel Owners Club
Anyone that is connected to the VA (disability or not) can contact their prescription filling pharmacy and temporarily change their mailing address to receive their meds where they winter. I have done it for the past 2 years as I winter down in Mesa, Az but my home of record is in NY. This way you do not need to change your address with the USPS, which as a retired postmaster comes with some caveats.

Just give the depending pharmacy a call and let them know your temporary address and the dates you will be there. It will automatically Chang e back to your HOR upon the end date of your temporary change.
Rburke8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 06:03 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
There are some challenges for us, and we are headed towards TriCare standard eventually, but we have found success using Walmart for our scripts...a controlled substance for me and a very expensive script for the wife. The national network helps; they just move the scripts for us from Walmart to Walmart.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 06:46 PM   #7

We use Tricare Standard for our fulltime travels. It has a $300 family deductible per year and a co-pay. The co-pay has a catastrophic cap of $3000/year. Every time we've used Tricare, we pay 20% co-pay of Tricare allowable charges from the doctor, with the co-pay counting towards the $3K cap. We've never even come anywhere near the cap.

Also, if we don't have an doctor visits in a said year, we pay $0. We're very happy with it and are thankful compared to what other people have to pay for their healthcare.

2007 Winnebago Journey 39K Freightliner Chassis, Cat C7
Old Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 07:49 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have VA meds and use a controlled substance for pain. I have to e-mail my provider when the Rx for the controlled substance is due and they put the RX into the system for me every 30 days. I change my temperary mailing address with the VA when I move. I allow at least 7-10 days lead time for the address to take effect. Then the meds come to my temp address where I am either for the winter or on the move. I have been doing this for many years
Old 07-28-2013, 09:57 AM   #9
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I'm in a different system that is manaaged by the Unites States Family Healy Plan, which is Tricare for Life. Just as background, up until 65 I paid almost $500 a year for the both of us, with small co-pay, after 65 and like most others, it's a $100 or so for each of us to Medicare, but now no co-pays and USFHP is the only card I use when getting aid.

We use two prescriptions services. I use both the VA and USFHP provided one, and DW just uses the USFHP service.

We have a sticks and bricks so we are fortunate i that we have a permanent address, however many have used Escapees, or other RV mail forwarding services and I'm sure this would still work. Use those addresses and for the S&B just forward mail temporarily. For the mail forwarding services they should handle it all for you. I have received medicines that specifically saty (Do Not Forward) but they have been forwarded.

There are two things I'd like to note about the VA. First, when we are going on an extended trip of 3-5 months, I count all the medicines I have and when I will run out. I then call the VA and always have to pay them a visit. I guess this is to make sure I'm who i say I am, and to verify in person that I'm not all drugged up. I show my list to the counselor at the pharmacy and always have ended up getting a "maintenance" supply of medicines for the duration of my trip. It has never failed. Be warned that these will be mailed to you so do your planning in time to have the meds delivered.

Second, if you are in the VA Portal and can order your meds on-line, once you have received your meds go right into the system and reorder them. You do NOT have to wait until 10 days away from the prescription ending. I have always received my prescriptions in time using this method. If when you enter the portal and your med is grayed out, just go back in a few days or a week later and check to see if it can be checked. Most of the times as soon as the mail the prescription a new check box is allowed.

Happy trails.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 10:59 AM   #10

Hello to my fellow Vets. My wife and I just sold our home and many of our possessions to RV full time. We have been under the USFHP since I retired in 90' and have no experience with Tri-Care Standard or Extra. Luckily we (the wife is a Vet too) have no VA issues. I see us not being in one region very long during certain parts of the year. So my question is how difficult is it to get medical care and subscriptions using Tri-Care Standard and Extra. We would like to use the in network doctors as much as possible. I have researched it to a degree but come away confused by the moving from one region to another problem. I am sure some of you out there in the same boat have it figured it out. I would greatly appreciate any words of wisdom.
Old 09-22-2013, 07:13 PM   #11

I am a retired vet full timer and I use Tricare Standard for both myself and my wife. We have had no problem getting medical care when we've needed it. There are no requirements for pre approval or out of region problems like with Prime and Extra. We just ask if the doctor accepts Tricare and many do.

There is a $300 deductible ($150 per person) and we pay 20% of Tricare allowed charges up to a catastrophic cap of $3K a fiscal year.

The beauty of it is many of the allowed charges are vastly less than what other insurance will pay, but for the doctor to participate with Tricare, they have to agree to accept the reduced rates. Plus there is no annual fee and if you don't need any medical assistance in a given year, you pay $0.

I researched all the Tricare programs and Standard is the winner for our full time travels.

Best Regards!

2007 Winnebago Journey 39K Freightliner Chassis, Cat C7
Old Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 09:48 PM   #12

I have researched Tricare for Extened travelers. I have Tricare Prime now. I talked with Tricare at the western region center on the phone. When you set up your Domicile address. Notify Tricare and they will switch your policy to Tricare standard to your new address.
Scott
Old 09-22-2013, 10:08 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Snipe View Post
I am a retired vet full timer and I use Tricare Standard for both myself and my wife. We have had no problem getting medical care when we've needed it. There are no requirements for pre approval or out of region problems like with Prime and Extra. We just ask if the doctor accepts Tricare and many do.

There is a $300 deductible ($150 per person) and we pay 20% of Tricare allowed charges up to a catastrophic cap of $3K a fiscal year.

The beauty of it is many of the allowed charges are vastly less than what other insurance will pay, but for the doctor to participate with Tricare, they have to agree to accept the reduced rates. Plus there is no annual fee and if you don't need any medical assistance in a given year, you pay $0.

I researched all the Tricare programs and Standard is the winner for our full time travels.

Best Regards!
Thanks for your reply. Do you have to submit the claims with standard?
Old 09-23-2013, 07:13 AM   #14

Excel Owners Club
I totally agree with LDMcK. Tri care standard is great. We love it. No need to file claim. Provider does that.
Rburke8 is offline   Reply With Quote