Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Military / Veteran RVing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-25-2013, 09:50 PM   #1

Smile TX Vets

Greetings, wanted to share this info.

Transferred my plates from a vehicle I just sold to my Coachman. The plates can be put on a vehicle which weights 18,000 pounds or less. They issued me another registration sticker on the spot. For Disabled Vets the registration is good for 2 or 3 yrs, I can't remember for sure, they prorated my sticker so it will now expire Oct 15. The cost of registration for disabled vets is $3.

Also, disabled vets with 60% of disability will not pay for their drivers license renewal. A standard cost of $25 now free.

I've attached the form you will need to file for the disabled vet plates. You can mail it in or visit your county office.

I took a friend with me who filed for DV plates. At our county office they did not require a signature in the certifying block. My friend showed VA letter confirming the disability.

Please share if you would to help another vet out. Thank y'all for your service.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Disable_Veteran_License_Plate_Application.pdf (146.1 KB, 45 views)
BIJ6165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2013, 10:28 PM   #2

Excellent
VetRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 04:11 PM   #3
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I don't understand the 18000 pound limit.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 05:03 PM   #4

I think the 18,000 limit s correct. When I got my DV plates I asked if I could put them on my MH, and was told no. My neighbor got them for his small MH. It's only 24 ft no slide.
Mknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 05:45 PM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to jdoc
I have them on my 2005 Bounder DP with 3 slides. Have had them on it since it was new. It weighs more than 18,000. They have to be renewed every year just like a regular plate. Like you said cost is only $3.00 per year. Before moving them over to my Bounder they were on a 3/4 ton truck and then on both of my 1 ton dually trucks. That is one of many of the benefits that Texas has to offer disabled vets.

Jerry
Old 06-26-2013, 09:52 PM   #6
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I was curious as to the 18000 pounds as I also have DV plates on my 27000+ DP and also $3.00 a year.

Sometimes I wonder about the training of our Government workers at the local levels. Doesn't appear that two locations can come up with the same set of rules.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:30 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M
I was curious as to the 18000 pounds as I also have DV plates on my 27000+ DP and also $3.00 a year.

Sometimes I wonder about the training of our Government workers at the local levels. Doesn't appear that two locations can come up with the same set of rules.
You said a mouthful there Wayne. I have always opted for the handicap placard. I never felt comfortable advertising on my licensee plate that I had a "disability". That's just me.

When unregistered my '08 DP Bounder they asked if I wanted the Tex Vet plate - and my weight cert was in her hand and she had just entered 25k in the system.

Now for the - they don't know what they are doing part. They charged me the 1% Diesel Emission surcharge and I disputed it with her. No dice. I learned from this site that I could get a refund. Well - last week I finally got around to calling about it and sure enough - the kind lady I'm Austin directed me to the online refund form - told me the code number to cite and said I'd have the money back in 3 weeks. Need to drop it in the mail and start the clock.

But shows to go ya - they don't necessarily know what they're doing at the tax assessor collectors office. The lady in Austin speculated that they entered Freightliner as vehicle type and system say Truck - charge fee. I have to send a copy of the title from the sale - which sales Motorhome on it. I have not pulled my TX title from the safe to see if it says Motorhome but me thinks it does!
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 07:30 AM   #8

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Steve, which office in Austin did you call? Renewed my Driver's license this year and would like to see if I can get my $25.00 back.

Jerry
Old 06-27-2013, 07:35 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoc View Post
Steve, which office in Austin did you call? Renewed my Driver's license this year and would like to see if I can get my $25.00 back.

Jerry
If they say they will refund can you please post. I renewed mine in Dec 2012. When they informed my friend of the 60% I asked the San Antonio office if I could get a refund and was told no.
BIJ6165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 07:48 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoc

Jerry
Jerry - to file for refund of Motor Vehicle Tax, Diesel Motor Vehicle Surcharge and/or Commercial Vehicle Registration Surcharge - I called the State Comptroller 800-252-5555. It's form 14-202 - use Reason Code O for Other and attach a note explaining Motorhome exempt from the 1% diesel surcharge on initial Texas registration of out of state MH. Cite rule 3.96 a1.
1% of a Motorhome sales price is a far cry greater than $25 bucks and I'm looking forward to getting that back.

I don't believe the Comptroller can help with DL issue but someone in Austin will probably have a better idea than than a local office as they process things like refunds - and seem to have people with more specialized knowledge. Good luck in getting a refund!! Every penny helps and no sense paying for it if you don't have too. Invent Tx Vets thing - it's my choice. When they charge ya for something without giving you the choice is a problem.
Steve
Old 06-27-2013, 10:57 AM   #11
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I'm waiting for my "new" plates on the "new" MKX to hit the system so I can swap out with my old DV plates from the Saturn. This may be an exercise in trial and error, we'll see.
Old 06-27-2013, 01:14 PM   #12

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Steve, I went to the DPS website and found out I can take my letter to the local DL office and they should be able to help me out.

Jerry
Old 06-27-2013, 01:16 PM   #13

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Wayne, must be nice to afford a new MKX.

Jerry
Old 06-27-2013, 02:28 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoc
Steve, I went to the DPS website and found out I can take my letter to the local DL office and they should be able to help me out.

Jerry
Sweet. Thanks for the update!