Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Military / Veteran RVing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread

Old 09-11-2017, 01:33 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Upcoming Vietnam war documentary?

i'm curious if any here will watch the upcoming ken burns documententary on the vietnam war documentary.

i am undecided.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2017, 03:04 PM   #2

Is it the Ken Burns one?

Old 09-11-2017, 03:38 PM   #3

I might, I just have to, wonder how truthful it will be. I have his PBS special Lewis & Clark on DVD and really like it. He has two others on the Civil War I want to purchase soon. He has so many great films it's hard to pick which ones I want to watch next.
Bill
2013 Arctic Fox 27-5L 5th. Wheel, 5th. Airborne Pin Box, B&W Companion Hitch, RVS Wired Rear View Camera, TriMetric Battery Monitor. Honda EU2000i. 2002 F350 Superduty, CC, LB, 6 Speed. 7.3 Diesel. US Navy Retired, E8. No More Football for Me.
Old 09-11-2017, 03:52 PM   #4
Just south of Twin Cities

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Back in the Fall I was contacted by them to see if I would like to join a group that would do a series of discussions about the film and to tell our personal stories. I went to several breakfasts put on by them and talked to a lot of the producers and fellow vets.

A independent producer wanted me to do a video of what I had seen, I declined. I think my part was pretty trivial and would be embarrassed to tell that to the whole country. There were however several vets that were more than anxious to do the interview. To each his own.

We have been invited to a dinner and viewing of the film the night it premiers. I don't think we will attend that either.

Mr. Burns has some interesting political views and I didn't really feel comfortable that this will be presented objectively. I could be, and hope I will be, proven wrong. I do intend to watch it with my Wife at home.

My problem is that I tend to get too emotional over these things and am loathe to display this in public.
2015 Ford Explorer Blue Ox tow bar, AF1
Old 09-11-2017, 03:58 PM   #5

I was there.......PASS

I would just get PO'd.

I do NOT have same views/perspectives as Ken Burns does.

It will probably WIN all kinds of awards/accolades
Old 09-11-2017, 04:00 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Another thing, I am a member of the Lakeville, MN. VFW Post 210. On Memorial Day, at our own expense we do ceremonies at 13 separate small cemeteries which include a 100 member high school band to play the Star Spangled Banner and Taps, a troop of Boy Scouts to precede us and get the flags properly displayed, a Color Guard with the flags, Commanders to MC the ceremony, and a Rifle Squad to fire the salute. I am on the Rifle Squad.

We did a ceremony this morning for 911 which was well attended.

The reason I bring this up is that only one other of our vets went to any of the breakfasts, and he only went to one. My guess is the others don't want the public attention. Neither do I but we do get very serious about the honors we do.
Old 09-11-2017, 04:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooperhawk View Post
Back in the Fall I was contacted by them to see if I would like to join a group that would do a series of discussions about the film and to tell our personal stories. I went to several breakfasts put on by them and talked to a lot of the producers and fellow vets.

A independent producer wanted me to do a video of what I had seen, I declined. I think my part was pretty trivial and would be embarrassed to tell that to the whole country. There were however several vets that were more than anxious to do the interview. To each his own.

We have been invited to a dinner and viewing of the film the night it premiers. I don't think we will attend that either.

Mr. Burns has some interesting political views and I didn't really feel comfortable that this will be presented objectively. I could be, and hope I will be, proven wrong. I do intend to watch it with my Wife at home.

My problem is that I tend to get too emotional over these things and am loathe to display this in public.

I appreciate your post Cooperhawk. The destruction of our history marches on.
Old 09-12-2017, 02:43 AM   #8

Sometimes I make a post that later I wish I had not. I am sorry to say that my impression of Ken Burns was based mainly on the one film on Louis & Clark. I went back and did my due diligence like I very well should have before I opened my mouth, no I will not be watching anything by him much less spend another penny on anything with his name on it. I did spend 11 months in Da Nang, not the worst place one could be in that place but it was enough for this 19 year old at the time to last a lifetime.
Bill
2013 Arctic Fox 27-5L 5th. Wheel, 5th. Airborne Pin Box, B&W Companion Hitch, RVS Wired Rear View Camera, TriMetric Battery Monitor. Honda EU2000i. 2002 F350 Superduty, CC, LB, 6 Speed. 7.3 Diesel. US Navy Retired, E8. No More Football for Me.
Old 09-12-2017, 05:19 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooperhawk View Post
Another thing, I am a member of the Lakeville, MN. VFW Post 210. On Memorial Day, at our own expense we do ceremonies at 13 separate small cemeteries which include a 100 member high school band to play the Star Spangled Banner and Taps, a troop of Boy Scouts to precede us and get the flags properly displayed, a Color Guard with the flags, Commanders to MC the ceremony, and a Rifle Squad to fire the salute. I am on the Rifle Squad.

We did a ceremony this morning for 911 which was well attended.

The reason I bring this up is that only one other of our vets went to any of the breakfasts, and he only went to one. My guess is the others don't want the public attention. Neither do I but we do get very serious about the honors we do.

I serve on the Rifle Squad at Fort Snelling and the 24 vets I serve with out there are very serious about the honors we give too. Thanks for your service and Welcome Home.
Old 09-12-2017, 05:24 AM   #10

After seeing some trailers of the program and them interviewing John Kerry, I decided I would not watch it. Would rather see everyday folks who were there tell "their" story and not guys like him.

USMC 1st recon A Company 1966-1967
Old 09-12-2017, 07:44 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by inlineskater View Post
I serve on the Rifle Squad at Fort Snelling and the 24 vets I serve with out there are very serious about the honors we give too. Thanks for your service and Welcome Home.
Thanks to you as well. A very good friend also serves with you at Ft. Snelling. I have a few relatives buried there and have seen you fellows do your ceremony and you are superb!!!
Old 09-12-2017, 08:48 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
It appears I am the only Vietnam vet, so far, that likes Ken Burns films. I will watch his version of the Vietnam war. My service was from '71 to '75 in Thailand so I have a very different view of the war than those of you that were "in country". I will be surprised if our secret war in Laos, Cambodia, and Thailand will even be mentioned in the film. Air America was on the other side of the runway but that is a CIA story. Yes, our bases were attacked, yes, we lost Pilots and Aircraft. Yes we had pilots in the Hanoi Hilton. Our war was not a picnic.
Old 09-12-2017, 01:55 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
I often wonder how and who gets to represent us RVN vets. Do they have to present or agree with a certain point of view?

History being rewritten? Certainly!!

Coop: Johnny Cash had a song that mentioned "the mud, the blood and beer". (A boy named Sue) Now that about says it all.
Old 09-12-2017, 02:16 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by flywithcoop View Post
My service was from '71 to '75 in Thailand so I have a very different view of the war than those of you that were "in country". I will be surprised if our secret war in Laos, Cambodia, and Thailand will even be mentioned in the film. Air America was on the other side of the runway but that is a CIA story. Yes, our bases were attacked, yes, we lost Pilots and Aircraft. Yes we had pilots in the Hanoi Hilton. Our war was not a picnic.
The breakfasts I attended included many VN Officers and Mungs that fought in Laos, Cambodia, and Thailand. They all live in this area and are doing will.

Closed Thread