Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Military / Veteran RVing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-11-2013, 11:06 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
USAA Auto Insurance

I'm curious if anyone else is experiencing this. USAA bills us for our auto policy on our Jeep Liberty semi-annually. For the last three billing cycles our premium has increased by 10% per billing cycle, or what amounts to a 21% increase every 12 months. We're having a hard time understanding this because neither of us have had any violations, accidents or claims of any kind in years.

We just got off the phone with the USAA insurance representative who told us that USAA is re-evaluating all of their auto policies with particular attention being paid to make, model and year of each vehicle insured, and that these increases are the result of that re-evaluation, and that they should "level out" at some point in time. He also told us that if a vehicle is no longer going to be manufactured, that it could also affect the premium. Most of us already know that the Jeep Liberty line ended with the 2012 model year.

What has your experience been? Particularly if you are a Jeep Liberty owner.
Craig_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2013, 12:29 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Can't help you with the jeep issue, but did just get a notice saying our premiums were going up...again. No tickets, accidents or new vehicles...called them last year when they did this and got the normal song and dance about cost of doing business going up, etc.

IMHO, USAA has gone down in their service and up in their prices. It used to be a restrictive company, now anybody who has ever worn the uniform can use it. They are sacrificing quality for quantity. Or, as my grandmother used to say, "they are getting too big for their britches."
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:35 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have my home with them but not my vehicles. They are not allways the lowest rates. Sounds like it's time to shop around.
Hipshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:52 PM   #4

I have been with USAA for for 42 years. I have had many autos and houses insured by them. At one time USAA was the absolute best available. Greed and the willingness to degrade their products has lead to USAA becoming just another company. I see their ads on TV about caring for the military family. Unfortunately their idea of family has deteriorated at a pace and extent to which family has deteriorated in our society. "Am I my brother's keeper?" has been answered by "Screw thy brother whenever you can get away with it." I used to renew my policies with USAA without even considering another company. USAA's changed attitude has caused me to change my attitude too. I will be evaluating other insurance companies with my next renewal. Anyone know if the ground lost by USAA is being picked up by another company restricting membership to those of us who have (are) actually serving in uniform? DoctorH
DoctorH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:55 PM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
USAA Very minimal changes the last 2 years. 3 vehicles, one up $3 other down 20, 3rd up $8.. Basically no change.

Now homeowners Insurance always increases by about $100 every year , we pay a non-hurricane premium plus a hurricane premium plus a Florida Hurricane catastrophe fund fee (that $132/year helps pay other peoples insurance) and 2 additional emergency assessments added in to bail out the State run Citizens windstorm insurance.. In addition we have a normal deductible for our non-hurricane portion but the hurricane deductible is a full 2% of the value.. This is not particular to USAA but is common to homeowner insurance statewide. The State got into the insurance business after Andrew and has been losing our shirt ever since. And of course now they can't get out of windstorm welfare...

However--USAA was outstanding after hurricane Ivan hit here. Appraiser was professional, fair and prompt. And that is why you buy insurance.
Many of my neighbors had a nightmare dealing with their insurance adjuster.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:16 PM   #6

No major changes for our USAA policies, we'll stick with them until retirement at least. Very few insurance carriers will insure you overseas, and we're hoping for one more overseas tour.......(Guam/Belgium/Okinawa)
Mrjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:35 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorH View Post
I have been with USAA for for 42 years. I have had many autos and houses insured by them. At one time USAA was the absolute best available. Greed and the willingness to degrade their products has lead to USAA becoming just another company. I see their ads on TV about caring for the military family. Unfortunately their idea of family has deteriorated at a pace and extent to which family has deteriorated in our society. "Am I my brother's keeper?" has been answered by "Screw thy brother whenever you can get away with it." I used to renew my policies with USAA without even considering another company. USAA's changed attitude has caused me to change my attitude too. I will be evaluating other insurance companies with my next renewal. Anyone know if the ground lost by USAA is being picked up by another company restricting membership to those of us who have (are) actually serving in uniform? DoctorH

Starting to agree with you.

I have been with them for quite some time and have my banking and everything else with them.

I need to shop around but living on the Gulf Coast it is hard to find a company that will "back you".
Old 02-11-2013, 07:50 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I've been a USSA customer since 1967. Used to be a much less expensive insurance.

I use them for all my insurance needs, except MH's and big Boats and do my banking with them.

Even though their rates have increased a lot in relation to their competition, I have always been very happy with their customer service. Stayed with them because of that.
ruffian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:01 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Worth Keeping

Have had 'em for 20 years and wouldn't change.

Don't have the MH or my motorcyle with them cause they ship those out to Progressive or some other firm.

The key here is....wait until you have a claim. They've always taken care of me and my family and that's worth paying a bit more than it was 20 years ago.

Personally I think they were underpriced 20 years ago for what they do.
SpursMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:27 PM   #10

Never heard of USAA until they started national advertizing. I sensed a profit grab
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:16 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
When USAA opened up to enlisted I took their auto insurance and banking. Still use the banking and would recommend it to anyone. At the time I took their auto insurance I was using Armed Forces Insurance (out of Leavenworth, KS) for household. AFI took care of me when I was sued once without jacking the rates up, so I didn't want to quit them. USAA on the other hand decided that my kids were a problem so they wanted to increase my auto by 300%. I now use AFI for auto as well as household.
Cum catapultae proscriptae soli proscript catapultas habebunt
gray ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:26 PM   #12

Been with them for over 45 years. Shop around for auto insurance - you will usually find they have the best deal on cost and service. Banking is good, but be careful about anything else they do such as home owners insurance, life insurance and any other short-term undertakings they try. They left me in the middle of the street with life insurance, supplementary health insurance, RV insurance and rural homeowner's insurance when they elected to discontinue those services when I was overseas.
vraines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:28 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
I just changed my insurance from Geico yo State Farm. With full coverage and stacked uninsured motorist went from $1200 a year to $640 per year.
I'm in FL. that's with 109/300/50 and $500 deductible. What a deal.
Gorlininc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:17 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks to everyone who responded. After reading what you have experienced and getting a couple of quotes from other insurers we've concluded that even with the increases we've encountered USAA is still cheaper and likely responds as well or better to claims than other insurance companies. Thanks again for sharing your own experiences.
Craig_R is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance, usaa