RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Military / Veteran RVing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-21-2016, 12:56 AM   #43

Entegra Owners Club
Progressive and USAA isn't the same thing for sure...and if USAA is implying that they recommend Progressive then they are doing there customers a disservice. That said, I carry Progressive on my coach, because Allied increased rates by 35% second year for no reason other than they could, and I switched to Progressive as they had theist rate when an independent agent shopped my insurance.

I did find out one thing recently. all us full timers using SD, TX, and FL as abode because of no state income tax is resulting in rates increasing significantly in all three states.

DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2016, 02:58 PM   #44

Newmar Owners Club
In case there is doubt about a link between USAA and Progressive.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	USAAMH.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	116998  

Old 01-21-2016, 03:14 PM   #45

Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCRET View Post
In case there is doubt about a link between USAA and Progressive.

My USAA account shows the same thing. RV insurance seems like a specialized niche product. USAA fought me for a month over insurance for my VW Eurovan Camper (by Winnebago) but finally capitulated and insured it as a car when I told them it doesn't have a bathroom. I think they just don't have the expertise and don't want the RV business. It's not their thing. I detest Progressive, but using them allows seamless coverage between my homeowner's, auto, RV, and umbrella liability policies with no haggling over who is responsible for paying claims.

Mike
2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40PBD
Freghtliner XC, CAT 3126B
slowmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 03:49 PM   #46

My USAA homeowners over the past four years has increased $950. I have both 4 wheel vehicles with them. Have had no claims and been a member since 1976.

Someone has to pay for the high dollar TV sponsorships and commercials. The company IMHO has lost it's way. Low risk customers gave us low rates, higher risk customers gives me higher rates.
osok is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 04:01 PM   #47

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by osok View Post
Someone has to pay for the high dollar TV sponsorships and commercials. The company IMHO has lost it's way. Low risk customers gave us low rates, higher risk customers gives me higher rates.
x2+++

Member 40+ years... but starting to shop, never did before.
Twomed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 04:09 PM   #48

We also moved from USAA to AARP (Hartford) last year, saved ~800 on homeowners, ~500 on auto, ~600 on motorhome, like getting a raise
j.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 06:01 AM   #49
KJB

Quote:
Originally Posted by osok View Post
My USAA homeowners over the past four years has increased $950. I have both 4 wheel vehicles with them. Have had no claims and been a member since 1976.
I have USAA insurance on my cars and they are competitive. But when I got a quote for homeowners they weren't even in the ballpark. The reason is they insure you for replacement cost as opposed to market value. So that means homeowners premiums are based on the cost of a new home rather than on the current value of the home you own. That didn't make sense to me. Not that it can't happen but in my lifetime I've never witnessed anybody's home being completely destroyed. Most claims are for damage that does not require completely rebuilding the home. If my home is ever destroyed, I just want what it's worth so I can get another home of equal value and I want my premium to reflect that. I'm not exaggerating when I say my homeowner's premium is half of what USAA wanted for the same coverage other than the replacement clause. When I questioned USAA on this below is their response. I'm sure there are people who want to pay for full replacement, I'm just not one of them.

Dear Mr. ,

We received your message regarding your homeowners insurance quote at XXX ABC St.

Our homeowners policy covers your home for the cost to rebuild, which may differ from the purchase price or market value. Replacement cost includes the labor, materials, general contractor fees, and code requirements. Inflation affects replacement cost. Items such as land value and location affect market value, but aren't included in the replacement cost of the home.

Replacement Costs versus Market Value
Although purchase prices have fallen in some locations due to the economy, reconstruction costs continue to rise. We are committed to facilitating our members' financial security. In doing so we strive to assist our members with protecting one of their largest assets, their home.

Market value (the price of a home) considers factors such as:
Desirability of the neighborhood
Schools
Land value
Consumer demand

Replacement costs are based on characteristics of the home and reconstruction costs such as:
Architect fees
Building code changes
Current costs for building materials
Demolition
Debris removal
Labor

How do we know we have the right amount of coverage for your home?
We work with a trusted vendor called Marshall & Swift/Boeckh, also referred to as MSB. They have over 75 years of experience in calculating rebuilding costs and serve 90% of the top 100 insurance companies. MSB experts gather cost data of all the various components that go into reconstructing a home such as exterior and interior building materials as well as labor, contractor and architectural costs. The cost data is adjusted for local variances broken down by zip code areas. We enter your home information into the MSB tool to calculate the minimum estimated rebuilding cost.

What do we do to ensure the estimates are reasonable?
We validate that the MSB tool is calculating a reasonable estimated rebuilding cost by reviewing our member's severe property losses. We compare the member's coverage amounts at the time of the loss to the rebuilding estimate. Recent reviews indicate the tool by and large, uses reasonable values. We also periodically search the marketplace for new or improved tools to ensure that we are using the best available tool to help our members estimate the minimum rebuilding cost for their homes.

How do we keep up with inflation?
MSB constantly gathers and reviews rebuilding cost by zip code across the country. We get updates four times a year that reflect the most recent building cost for your location. When your homeowners/fire policy renews each year, we then apply the most recent updates we have on file.
KJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 12:02 PM   #50

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
USAA uses other insurance companies for higher dollar RVs and boats. I don't know the dollar cut off, but I used USAA for a 5th wheel and a small boat. When I moved to a MH and larger boat, they referred me to another company.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 10:14 AM   #51

Monaco Owners Club
""The reason is they insure you for replacement cost as opposed to market value. So that means homeowners premiums are based on the cost of a new home rather than on the current value of the home you own.""
I heard the same response from USAA and it is another insurance scam to get you to pay too much for insurance. And they were appreciating my home at about 15%/year, about twice the national average and more than the local market. First and foremost, YOU ARE THE CUSTOMER in this relationship, USAA is the supplier. YOU are the MASTER, USAA is the SERVANT. You insure it for what you want, protecting yourself and your lienholders. USAA needs to do as it is told by YOU. Do not insure your home for rebuild because they say so, do it because you want to. What if it costs 450k to rebuild a home you know sells for 300k? Not an unusual scenario today. Go buy elsewhere and pocket the 150k leftover?? No, USAA will only pay to replace the home UP TO the limit of your policy. You buy new for 300k and boom, USAA has replaced the home and pockets the 150k. If my home burns to the ground and not a stick stands, the foundation is still cement and usable. The property is still usable. The shed out back probably survives. THe sprinkler system is not a total loss. Whether I rebuild here is my decision, I may elect to rebuild elsewhere, especially if the fire left me with memories I'd rather not relive everyday. I WILL have that option, not some easily replaceable servant like an insurance company, USAA. I will listen to their advice, but I will do as I wish.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 12:05 PM   #52

Tiffin Owners Club
S & B home was going up annually due to replacement costs. We live in a rural area and I know what building costs per sq ft are here. Checked with other carriers for quotes based on actual current replacement value. Called USAA and told them they had our home over insured. We haggled for a bit, then they lowered our value which lowered the premium. I do agree that USAA was the best insurance company out there, before they started taking high risk customers!
skypilot_1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 07:19 PM   #53

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
[QUOTE=skypilot_1;2913161...I do agree that USAA was the best insurance company out there, before they started taking high risk customers!...[/QUOTE]

Agree. USAA used to be very restrictive, now if somebody ever, in their life time, wore a uniform, they qualify for membership. Service is down, costs are up.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 10:43 AM   #54

Damon Owners Club
I've been a USAA member for 46 years. They started business as an automobile insurance company and they are still competitive at that. My house burned down in a wildfire in 2011. They screwed me and didn't even kiss me. When I looked for RV insurance, they passed me off to Progressive. Very expensive! Good Sam was the best deal for my RV.
Hawk43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 05:49 PM   #55

Spartan Chassis
I too have been with USAA for more than 40 years and have a couple questions for those of you that are comparing prices:
1. Are you subtracting the USAA Annual Distribution dollars from your premium?
2. For the 40+ year members are you subtracting the USAA Senior Bonus Distribution from your premium?

Those two distributions amount to just under a 15% reduction in my annual premium. When I compare auto and homeowners combined, taking into consideration the distribution numbers, no one comes close to my out of pocket insurance costs.

As for RV insurance I shop the different companies every year even though I have an independent agent.
Spartan Mountain Master
rag_ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 12:43 PM   #56

USAA will insure an TT, when we had one we used USAA, they were very good.

Tags
insurance