Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Military / Veteran RVing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-12-2019, 10:24 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
VA and travel

Health Benefits

Seamless Care for Traveling Veterans

[https://www]

Traveling Veterans

If you are enrolled and receive your health care with VA, you will receive the same, consistent care, whether at your local VA treatment site or an alternate VA site of care.* In order to help VA ensure you receive consistent care while you are traveling, we ask that you notify your VA Patient Aligned Care Team (PACT), preferably 4 to 6 weeks prior to departure, or as soon as you are aware of the trip. Early planning will allow time for PACT and the Traveling Veteran Coordinator to coordinate your care at an alternate VA facility.

To coordinate your health care with another VA health care facility, you should inform your PACT of the following:

travel destination(s), and temporary address

a valid telephone number

arrival and departure dates

specific care concerns

Your PACT will contact the Traveling Veteran Coordinator, who will assist in coordinating your care at the alternate facility.

For more information, contact your PACT or Traveling Veteran Coordinator at your local VA facility.

To download an 8x10 poster,*click here.
click here*for a*2-sided brochure.
Frequently Asked Questions*are posted here.

Urgent and After-Hours Care

If you need non-emergency care, call the after-hours telephone advice care line to get advice about your health concerns. The advice line is staffed by registered nurses who will discuss your medical concerns and work with you to determine the care you need. The registered nurse will document the telephone call in your electronic medical record and notify the appropriate medical provider.

What if I Require a Hospital Admission?

Your VA provider will make appropriate arrangements to admit you to the nearest VA hospital that is adequately equipped and staffed to furnish the care you need. Depending on your eligibility and other factors, VA may admit you to a non-VA hospital.

Emergency Care

What if I think I am having a medical emergency?

Call 911 or go to the nearest emergency room. You do not have to contact VA in advance.

What is a medical emergency?

A medical emergency is generally defined as a condition that would cause a prudent layperson (a person who possesses an average knowledge of health and medicine) to reasonably expect that a delay in seeking immediate medical attention would be hazardous to life or health.

Non-VA Facilities

You should go to the nearest emergency room whether in a VA or private facility If you are in an ambulance, the paramedics will usually take you to the closest emergency room.

If the doctor wants to admit me to the non-VA hospital, must I obtain approval from VA?

If the admission is for a medical emergency – NO

If the admission is not for a medical emergency - YES . You, a friend, a family member, or someone from the non-VA hospital should call the closest VA medical center and speak to the patient transfer or patient administration representative*within 72 hours*of your arrival at the emergency room . You will be offered a transfer to VA if a VA bed is available and you can be safely transferred.

Does my enrollment in the VA Health Care System change my coverage for emergency care?

It might. Call your local VA facility’s Enrollment Coordinator to find out what your options are.

Does my other insurance (TRICARE, Medicare, Medicaid, Blue Cross, etc.) change my VA coverage for emergency services?

It might. Call your local VA facility’s Enrollment Coordinator to find out what your options are.

Veterans Health Care Coverage and Medicare

Enrolled Veterans receive VA’s comprehensive medical benefits package. VA can provide care for all your health care needs.*Click here*(you will be routed to the AARP Website) for information about VA health care enrollment and Medicare coverage.

Q. I have good medical coverage from the Veterans Affairs health program. Do I need to enroll in Medicare as well when I turn 65?

A.*Click here*(you will be routed to the AARP Website).

return to top*[https://www]

Last updated: April 29, 2016

Contact us

Veteran programs and services

More VA resources

Get VA upd
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2019, 08:36 PM   #2
WVI

Good info.
Thanks for posting this!
WVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 07:46 PM   #3

This largely covers vets who travel from their home location to a second location, then back to their home location.

If you live full time in your RV like I do getting care at other locations is a headache if you're not going back to your home location.
MarkK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 08:52 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Nice post. Thanks, I schedule my visit for when I'm back at my home. But in emergency I have a card in my wallet with instructions.

Im a disabled vet and get good coverage from the VA. But I don't like to be boxed in. I also have Medicare; part B from Humana Advantage plan for vets with VA medical. They discount the plan by about $40 less then Medicare part B par price. Which make it very cheap and gives me much flexibility, dental, silver slippers, second pair of eye glasses each year and access to different doc's. I don't need the Medicare drug plan, got it covered by VA.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 07:59 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkK View Post
This largely covers vets who travel from their home location to a second location, then back to their home location.

If you live full time in your RV like I do getting care at other locations is a headache if you're not going back to your home location.
Agree 100% on that. A traveling vet MUST registry at every locations so they can get into your records for treatment/medication. I just went to the VA in San Antonio and I had to get registry there just for a medication refill. But if you are a SNOWBIRD vet the above information is great.
I am heading to Goodyear (outside of Phoenix) for 4 months and San Antonio told me to get registry there as soon as I arrive to avoid issues.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 05:23 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamm2018 View Post
Agree 100% on that. A traveling vet MUST registry at every locations so they can get into your records for treatment/medication. I just went to the VA in San Antonio and I had to get registry there just for a medication refill. But if you are a SNOWBIRD vet the above information is great.
I am heading to Goodyear (outside of Phoenix) for 4 months and San Antonio told me to get registry there as soon as I arrive to avoid issues.
The problem with this method is if you're like me, I don't stay in one place for more than 2 weeks. There's no way to get 'enrolled' the first day you get somewhere and expect to be seen within that 2 week window. Well, it could happen, but it's harder to count on it.

Each facility insists you show up in person and complete a 10-10ez to enroll. Wow, what a headache until I found out if I called the national enrollment number, 1-877-222-8387, that they can enroll you over the phone. So now I have an optometrist appointment at a location in April 2021 the first day I get there.
Old 12-01-2020, 05:13 AM   #7
WVI

The VA has a program for Vets who travel. My son uses it extensively.
It makes one location your Primary Care Doc and he referres you to others as needed on the road.
The BIG thing that makes this work is the Doctor actually cares about the patient...
Old 12-02-2020, 04:57 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVI View Post
The VA has a program for Vets who travel. My son uses it extensively.
It makes one location your Primary Care Doc and he referres you to others as needed on the road.
The BIG thing that makes this work is the Doctor actually cares about the patient...
Does your son eventually go back to his home/primary care doctor when done traveling?
Old 12-03-2020, 12:28 PM   #9

We are full-timers and my wife and I both receive our care through the VA system.
We have a Primary Care facility that we visit once a year for our annual exams and lab work, and handle any issues that may occur. We get prescriptions renewed and then get them refilled by mail throughout the year. We usually stay in the are for a month or two (it's in the Texas Hill Country, so we like it here anyway). Our Primary Care doctors and nurses know that we travel full time.
The rest of the year we travel. If we have a non-emergency health concern, we call or message (Secure Message in My Healthy Vet) our Primary Care and they coordinate care where we are using the Traveling Vet Coordinator and a traveling vet consult for whatever facility we are near. It has actually worked pretty well, and responses to our Secure Messages have been very timely.
Yes, we do have to register when we get to a new facility, but that has been a quick process that we can often do in advance before our consult appointment.
Old 12-03-2020, 07:52 PM   #10
WVI

MarkK,
He raily gets back there but uses the VA often.
They also have a program for overseas travelers.
Old 12-04-2020, 05:28 AM   #11

I simply have no continuity with my original pcp location and as such have had 3 pcp locations in 2 1/2 years. None will support me by coordinating with a traveling vet coordinator. As such it's been a grinder and I've ended up working around the dysfunction, so far.
Old 12-04-2020, 08:36 AM   #12

Spartan Chassis
Following.. Thanks for the info... 100% disabled and snow birding in Tucson..
Ron
Navy SeaBee
04 Travel Supreme 40DS04 400 Cummins ISL
rhusak is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel