RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Military / Veteran RVing
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-22-2018, 09:09 AM   #1

VA Care On The Road While Full Timing

Looking for inut on how you all work with this situation.

I'm new to the VA care due to a low rated disability (category 4) and haven't even had my first appointment in the Seattle area. We are due to head out full time and it could be a while until we get back here, likely hanging in the NM/AZ states then west of the rockies following weather.

How do other VA clinics or hospitals deal with me on a "new" patient basis to their facility whether for a yearly, or other medical need? Just walk in and they handle it?

Also, does anyone know how it works if I am in a remote location and need medical attention but am far from a VA facility? Is there a mileage limit where I can go to a non VA medical facility and the VA picks up the cost, or do I have to potentially drive hours for say a broken arm or laceration needing stitches?

Thanks.

MarkK is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2018, 09:22 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkK View Post
Looking for inut on how you all work with this situation.

I'm new to the VA care due to a low rated disability (category 4) and haven't even had my first appointment in the Seattle area. We are due to head out full time and it could be a while until we get back here, likely hanging in the NM/AZ states then west of the rockies following weather.

How do other VA clinics or hospitals deal with me on a "new" patient basis to their facility whether for a yearly, or other medical need? Just walk in and they handle it?

Also, does anyone know how it works if I am in a remote location and need medical attention but am far from a VA facility? Is there a mileage limit where I can go to a non VA medical facility and the VA picks up the cost, or do I have to potentially drive hours for say a broken arm or laceration needing stitches?

Thanks.
Is your rating Service Connected ?
Do you have any other med coverage ?

PRIORITY GROUP 4
Veterans who are receiving aid and attendance or housebound benefits
Veterans who have been determined by VA to be catastrophically disabled.

If your in the "system" any VA facility should/will see you. But may refer you to locale ER. Im Cat 1 and have had that happen depending on what level of care VA can provide at that location. VA took care of billing. Can't speak to how much they will cover a Cat 4 vet.

skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 12:51 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by skypilot_1 View Post
Is your rating Service Connected ?
Do you have any other med coverage ?

PRIORITY GROUP 4
Veterans who are receiving aid and attendance or housebound benefits
Veterans who have been determined by VA to be catastrophically disabled.

If your in the "system" any VA facility should/will see you. But may refer you to locale ER. Im Cat 1 and have had that happen depending on what level of care VA can provide at that location. VA took care of billing. Can't speak to how much they will cover a Cat 4 vet.
My mistake, priority group 3, service related 10%.

When we go I won't have any additional coverage.
MarkK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 04:41 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
If you are 65, forget the VA and use Medicare. If you have private insurance, forget the VA and use it.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 05:51 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Good advise. However some here think $100+ bucks a month not a good deal when with VA. We have medicare and TCFL. But do use VA for dental and eye care.
Old 06-22-2018, 06:26 PM   #6

Nor'easters Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Routine care: go to enrollment at the facility, tell them you are a traveling veteran and need xyz. They'll assign you a primary team who then will probably send you to speciality as needed.

Emergency: go to urgent care/ER at a VA facility if possible.
nehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 03:34 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Husband has VA clinic that we can always call. If he needs something on the road, we find a clinic in the area. He has needed to visit the VA ER in two states and recieved very good care. We can't afford supplemental insurance so Medicare and VA is what we use. No complaints. If you are not near a VA or can't be seen withing 30 days, you can go to a non VA facility. Not sure how it works tho, since we have not needed it.
bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 09:32 AM   #8

I am Vietnam vet and I finally just bought a medicare supplement plan but you can still have all your prescriptions filled by the VA pharmacy and mailed to you. Need to plan a little longer stay wherever you are for the meds to catch up. I have my daughter fedex them to me after they come in the mail to the house.
Swagster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 08:49 PM   #9

Howdy!

We fulltime and I haven’t néeded to use the VA during our travels. I see my VA doctors in Texas when we return during the winter and holidays. All my meds are yearly and 90 day prescriptions and go through the mail. We use Escapees mail forwarding. They receive our mail and sign of anything needed. We’re in Alaska no and just got all my meds and other mail forwarded to us.

“Happy Trails”
Chiefneon
chiefneon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 06:05 AM   #10

My experience has been that you can NOT just drop into a VA clinic for care. You must first register and then wait to be assigned a primary care doctor, then wait for an appointment. This can take weeks. You can go to any VA hospital for care but be prepared to wait hours in the emergency room. You will be the lowest priority and at times we have waited for 8 to 10 hours. I have found the VA system to be my choice of last resort, especially while traveling. They do everything possible to deny your care or delay care until you can't wait any longer. Thank goodness I now have Medicare and have used it during our travels. I can not imagine having to depend on only the VA. I probably would be dead by now. I only use them for my prescription medication now. For those, I have them sent to our mail forwarding address and then sent on to us. Since they send 3 months in advance it has never been a problem. Chuck
chuckbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 10:51 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
My experience is just the opposite. Since Im in the Cat 1 VA records system. I go to VA clinic in the area I happen to in at the time. They temporary enroll me by accessing my records online. I wait to see PA/Dr. etc. Get prescriptions filled, done in a couple hrs.
Also have Medicare & TFL which is what I use when at home base. Only use VA for dental & vision. DW has Medicare & TFL as well. When home or on the road. Goes to Urgent Care Clinics and never has to pay. Just walking in the door to one of those places is $350 bucks.
Old 08-22-2018, 03:38 AM   #12

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckbear View Post
Thank goodness I now have Medicare and have used it during our travels.
Chuck

How do you find doctors while traveling who will take medicare? When I moved to Oregon I could not get anyone who would take medicare * until I ended up in the hospital for emergency surgery in the middle of the night to have some of my innards become outards. Then the hospital referred me to some doctors who would take medicare.

*Can anyone blame them? has anyone looked at the medicare payment statements?
The janitor probably gets paid better.

Charles.
Old 08-22-2018, 08:13 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randm Musing View Post
How do you find doctors while traveling who will take medicare? When I moved to Oregon I could not get anyone who would take medicare * until I ended up in the hospital for emergency surgery in the middle of the night to have some of my innards become outards. Then the hospital referred me to some doctors who would take medicare.

*Can anyone blame them? has anyone looked at the medicare payment statements?
The janitor probably gets paid better.

Charles.

Our homebase is in Florida and we have traveled all over the U.S. Unfortunately I have had to seek medical care in a number of states. I have never had a problem getting a doctor to take my medicare. Chuck
chuckbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 02:24 PM   #14

Well this is a question I was wondering. I am 100% service connected IU. This past May I became a amputee also. So traveling I am sure is going to pose a few issues at times.

I don't know what class I am. Where can I find that information?

I am also on medicare & Tricare for Life. Plus I have civilian insurance that I kept because the area I live in when I moved here no one took Tricare. At some point I might drop my civilian insurance but will need to look at it all first. I have my civilian insurance mostly for my daugher but she is 16 so she won't be covered at some point.

Wildman4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote