RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Military / Veteran RVing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-07-2018, 06:09 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
VA law to provide vets more private care choices

I guess the GOP VA bill not considered much of a news event here...

If confirmed, Trump’s pick to lead the VA, Robert Wilkie, would lead that effort. Criteria to be considered include wait times for VA appointments, quality of VA care and distance from a VA facility.
Known as the VA MISSION Act, the law directs the VA to combine a number of existing private-care programs, including the so-called Choice program, which was created in 2014 after veterans died waiting for appointments at the Phoenix VA.

skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2018, 07:42 PM   #2

VA

I hope they do get get some thing fixed. When I have to go for any tests I have a 5 hour round trip to get to the VA in Dallas,and I have to drive all the way thru Dallas to get there. The veterans choice now is a long fought battle to get any thing approved.

okie mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 08:19 PM   #3

The "Maintaining Internal Systems and Strengthening Integrated Outside Networks" (MISSION) Act builds off previous law, the Veterans Access, Choice and Accountability (Choice) Act (where do they come up with these acronyms)

Yes a new bill was signed into law.........WITHOUT Funding

The new law gives VA an additional $5.2 billion to continue Choice through May 2019 while the department implements the new, consolidated community care program. But the MISSION Act doesn’t authorize additional resources to pay for the new program past May 2019 and into 2020.

Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 10:47 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Funding hardly ever in initial bill. But you can bet your a## the Donald with stand up for the vets in this country if anyone will. just sayn
Old 06-08-2018, 12:37 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I hope they improve the Choice program. Scheduling is a nightmare and I learned a valuable lesson...I the VA sends you to Choice for tests (i.e., MRI) make sure you get a copy of everything. The process of getting the results into your record is onerous, if not impossable!
Poppy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 01:25 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Same as when using Medicare and getting the records over to your VA file. Is very frustrating.....
Old 06-08-2018, 01:44 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by skypilot_1 View Post
Funding hardly ever in initial bill. But you can bet your a## the Donald with stand up for the vets in this country if anyone will. just sayn

You expect someone who doest like thousands of veterans because they were captured to stand up for all vets?
Old 06-08-2018, 02:01 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Geeee I never thought of that...guess we'll find out.
Old 06-08-2018, 03:22 PM   #9

I hope I am WRONG...but a VA BILL W/O budget funding is nothing more then a photo op and champaign box that gets checked off.

And I voted for "The Donald"
Old 06-08-2018, 03:37 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The President cannot fund bills, only Congress can apply funding. He signed it, let's see what Congress does.
2015 Ford Explorer Blue Ox tow bar, AF1
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 03:50 PM   #11

Bill should have never reached his desk W/O funding otherwise it is just 'politics as usual"
Old 06-08-2018, 04:10 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Trump’s administration wants the money to come from somewhere in the existing federal budget. The memo, a copy of which was obtained by Stars and Stripes, warned that allowing the VA to break through spending caps could lead to unlimited spending on private doctors.

“Without subjecting the program to any budgetary constraint, there is no incentive to continue to serve veterans with innovative, streamlined and efficient quality of care,” the memo reads. “In addition, because this amendment would allow for virtually unlimited increases for community care, it could have the unintended effect of making community care more attractive than care provided in VA facilities and could eventually erode VA’s ability to provide care in its facilities.”

https://www.stripes.com/news/veteran...nd-it-1.531451
Old 06-08-2018, 04:14 PM   #13

With all my SC health issues, We moved here, specifically to me near a VAMC. At first, things were decent. Being a smaller VAMC, they contracted things like eyecare, some surgery, and a few other things. It was easy to get care, The VA entered the request in their system, and then the eyecare place would call me for an appointment. Once the Choice program came around, everything had to go through them. So now it takes several months for the request to make it to the top of the choice care coordinators in box. Then a few more months for the Choice program to call me, and ask what times I want an appointment for, and where. then that person calls the eyecare place. to make an appointment for me.

It has taken since Jan, to get a surgery date to replace a nerve stimulater that died last Jul. Took a month or so to see the VA doc, who had to arranger for the MFG rep to come down, and make sure it died, which took another month or two. Back in Jan, they decided it needed replaced. With all the approvals, and working its way through the choice program, it took until a few weeks ago, to get the surgery.

The Choice program has not done any good for me, I'll take the old contracts back any day.

The eye doc did say he gets paid more, but it takes more work for his people to file everything, and get paid. Before he had access to the VA system, and he entered his notes directly, and they showed up as if any other VA doc had entered them, and he could see all my other issues, meds, or what ever he needed. Now the VA has to print all that out, and send to him, then he has to print out his notes, and send them to the VA, who has someone scan them into the VA system. And for me to get those notes, I have to go into the VAMC, and ask for them just like we had to years back before they got them online.

Give me the old system back anyday.
Old 06-08-2018, 08:36 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I'll agree. The current choice system is horrible. I have a torn rotator cuff. Saw the doc at VA. I got a steroid shot and was told that would reduce inflammation for about 4-6 weeks, long enough for PT to help strengthen muscles in shoulder. Due to distances, they referred me to Choice. It too 2 months to set up 1st appointment and steroid injection had worn off. Did no good except my shoulder feel good for a month.
My VA doc says they are going to bring scheduling in-house. Couldn't make it worse!

Poppy01 is offline   Reply With Quote