Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Military / Veteran RVing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-04-2019, 08:55 AM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcaster View Post
Thank you - same experience 2003, retiring, some fat clown boasting that he was 100 percent disabled and was playing golf later. Pissed me off and told him I would be skipping that part. Have friends missing limbs and in beds that fall into "disabled". Pissed me off then and still does. He treated it like a game or lottery and that is what gives the system such a stigma. Reform is so in need, oversight in particular.

I to am DAV Classified at 100% Total a Permanent. That classification has nothing to do with what you draw in compensation. The worse your CONDITIONS ARE the more you draw. Everytime I enter a VA Hospital I see Veterans that are in FAR WORSE shape than I. I feel Blessed but guilty that they have missing limbs and TBI. Every Veteran Should be treated FAIRLY but Not necessarily EQUAL. If YOU DON'T Need the VA, Thank you good maker because you are better of than those of that do.

If you are disabled, then the taxpayers owe you both in respect and assistance. It could be financial, services or programs. It should not be called a benefit, it is not earned, and it is not free.

I will leave it at that.
You said "It should not be called a benefit, it is not earned, and it is not free".

If I didn't earn it, Why are you expecting it? but I agree it's not FREE. It was Charged to the Government when I was in the Jungles of South Vietnam. It is now being paid to me.
Nomonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2019, 09:55 AM   #86

This may put me on many “ignore lists” but here goes. I spent 30 years wearing the US Air Force uniform with great pride in my fellow service members. I also spent 29 years and 9 months in a flight suit flying jet trainers and fighter jets. Spent some time in military hospitals, not due to service duties, but hard play in off duty time. Yes, I have service related hearing loss, well documented in my medical records, which I have in my safe. I have never registered with the VA and never will because my financial planning and TRICARE for LIFE allow me to pay my own way and purchase my hearing aids by choice. In addition, many do not know that every time you visited the military Dr or hospital, a form was filled out and there was a fine print line called “In the line of duty: Yes or No and this was checked. When I retired at age 55, I had a retirement physical and could still pass the rigorous flight physical, though my high freq and low freq hearing loss was significant. After 2 years of retirement, I went to the local VA hospital to register. Upon arrival in the parking lot, I noticed all these “dressed to the T” individuals and spouses arriving in their new Contentials, Cadillacs, Mercedes etc and joined the large group in the waiting room. To get there, we went past truly deserving Vets in wheel chairs with missing limbs, in gurneys because they were unable to manage a wheel chairs and various other stages of service related injuries. I finally made my way to the window to register. I had all the paper work ready and started filling it out when I realized I would be taking from those who truly needed the care. I ripped up the forms and have never gone back to the VA except to visit patients. My step daughter is a nurse in a VA hospital and is in charge of the paraplegic ward. She loves these guys and will stay there until she retires from the most difficult job there. She can not stand to deal with the fakers and takers.
A last note. I attended one of my fighter squadron’s reunion and left after one of the older members I served with, stood up and made a presentation on how to go back and increase their retired disability pay. I learned that most retiring pilots were claiming disability from hearing loss. I have not attended another reunion since.

Trees
bgtrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 09:59 AM   #87

Thor Owners Club
Thank you to all the Vets and others who have contributed to this thread so far.

I mean all of the folks who have posted - even those with whom I disagree. That's how things get hashed out. We all have a voice and the right to use it. Preservation of this right and respect for different opinions are some of the reasons we served.

800/827-1000

The phone number above is where you can get REAL answers to your questions. It's the VA main number. Yes, you may have to wait on hold. You'll have to be patient.

A lot of good points have been brought up regarding the fine print with the VA. It's a complex system. Expect delay, frustration and denials.

One way you are certain to never enjoy a successful claim is if you get frustrated and give up. When in doubt, get another 'nexus letter' and appeal. One of the reasons I recommend the DAV is you have the weight of their entire operation behind you. It's especially important with appeals.

I suggest calling the number above VERY frequently. Sometimes I call more than once with the same questions. Often as not I get more useful information with each call.

For those who are awarded 100% rating, check out ChampVA for your spouses. ChampVA is the reason my wife is alive today.
woodbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 10:10 AM   #88
Fro

Monaco Owners Club
I am a service connected VN era vet and a retired VA nurse.. I chose not to apply for benefits until after my retirement. My circumstances were such that my needs were met without the VA.

First off, let's not get our panties in a wad about language. The VA is indeed an entitlement program and that language is codified in USC Title 38 which governs the VA. The negative connotation comes from our youth's sense of entitlement that the world owes them everything right now. (strictly a generalized statement of millennials). So, let us call it what it is: an entitlement that is awarded for services and sacrifices rendered. Whether one accepts the award is a matter of personal choice, based on one's need and one's moral standing. Regardless, it is an earned entitlement according to law. I applaud VSOs and fellow veterans helping those who served get the help they need.

As a former employee of the VA, I want to express my appreciation to the service clubs. The American Legion, Elks, DAV, VFW have all contributed greatly to fellow veterans well being. Much needed modern medical equipment, transportation, volunteers, and entertainment have been provided by these groups. If you are a member, your dues and charity goes a long way to help care for your fellow brothers and sisters. Many posts and lodges have space for overnight camping for the asking, and the Elks usually have hookups for longer stays.
Old 10-04-2019, 10:49 AM   #89

Agent Orange is now considered an instrument of war. This can change your retirement pay from taxable to non taxable. I just found this out as I have been receiving my 100% disability for Kidney cancer from Agent Orange and was being taxed on my retirement. I received an inquiry from Randolf AFB asking if I wanted to change my retirement pay to CRSC combat related special compensation which is non taxable. No Brainer. MSGT Retired USAF EOD
bartgeor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 07:07 PM   #90

I was at the VA hospital in Richmond VA. Setting next to me were 2 vets who were talking about how to scam the VA out of more money. Shame full
varoadbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 12:44 AM   #91

I'll start by saying "Thank You" to everyone who has served.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faraway1 View Post
This is especially for VietNam Vets. The VA recognizes that no matter where you served in VietNam, it is presumed that you were exposed to Agent Orange. This means that any disease related to exposure to Agent Orange will be presumed to be caused by that exposure. There are quite a few diseases in that category, probably with diabetes being the most prevalent. And there are other diseases that are related to diabetes, and would then be considered as Service Connected.

Speaking of Vietnam Vets. I would like to share something I found very recently.

The bipartisan Blue Water Navy Vietnam Veterans Act was just signed in June 2019.

The new law affects Veterans who served on a vessel operating not more than 12 nautical miles seaward from the demarcation line of the waters of Vietnam and Cambodia, as defined in Public Law 116-23.

These Veterans may be eligible for presumption of herbicide exposure through Public Law 116-23, Blue Water Navy Vietnam Veterans Act of 2019, which was signed into law June 25, 2019, and goes into effect Jan. 1, 2020. They may also qualify for a presumption of service connection if they have a disease that is recognized as being associated with herbicide exposure.

Here's the Link to the VA notice:
https://www.va.gov/opa/pressrel/pres...se.cfm?id=5280

As a Disabled Vet myself, I'll also add that the local VSO is not always the best source of information. At least in my case it wasn't.

There are plenty of FREE blogs online hosted by other Veterans who just want to help you navigate the complex VA claim process and to highlight the benefits that are available to Veterans. If you chose to do so, there are also lawyers out there that can help you file your claim. No risk to you. They don't get paid unless your claim is successful.

There is no shame in receiving medical care thru the VA. Your not taking anything away from anyone else. You are prioritized based on your Disability rating. If your 100% disabled, you are their #1 priority. If you don't have a service connected disability, you are the lowest priority. You will still be able to get care, but it will take longer. Sometimes, a lot longer.

If you can afford private medical insurance, you will probably be happier receiving care from non VA providers though.

Here's another change happening in January 2020.
Beginning in January 2020, service-connected disabled veterans and their caregivers will be eligible to use base commissary stores and Morale, Welfare and Recreation facilities. In addition, veterans with a service-connected disability rated as total will soon be eligible to use space-available (Space-A) travel.

Here's the link to read it yourselves:
https://www.dav.org/learn-more/news/...bled-veterans/
waterwalkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 01:03 AM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhom View Post
Been in the army for 3 years. Now I am retired. Signed up with DAV and they refused me . Making too much money in retirement. Trying to get some discount, and everyone says 50% disable. I’m not disable. How can I get some discount like fishing license, park discounts ? Anybody having the problem I have?
From my experience, unless your Disabled most of the larger discounts don't apply to you. I'm rated at 40%, but still don't get the discounts you mentioned.

However, if you go to your local VA and see if you can register for care. You just need the VA ID Card. Then you can ask each merchant as you go, if they offer a military or Veterans discount. There are a lot out there that do. Do a google search, and you will find a lot out there.
Proof of service can be done with your DD214, but the VA card is much easier to carry.

You can also find a lot of places that will give you a free meal on Veterans day too.

Some states allow you to have a veteran stamp put on your drivers license.

Maybe not exactly what your looking for, but here's some other things I've found.
If your a Disabled Veteran, you can get a FREE Golden Access pass that will allow you access to all National Parks. It gives you free day access (Normally for everyone in the vehicle). You will also get a 50% discount on camping in the parks. Just show them your VA ID Card at the gate.

Check with your state because this changes from state to state. Some benefits that I've heard of so far.
I do think that most of these are for 100% P&T though.

Mississippi for example:
Exempt from Property tax.
Discount on vehicle registration.
Free Fishing or Hunting licenses.
Free upgrade to advanced Concealed Cary permits
waterwalkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 01:30 AM   #93

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktn1966 View Post
PS...

The VA medical facility is not based on, only available for X amount of patients. It can expand to service those that use it. If you have a good insurance out in town then use that instead because waiting times can be shorter. If you don't then do use it, I would rather have a veteran use VA medical than go into debt with medical bills, become homeless or worse....

Sitting around a campfire telling each other not to use VA benefits is counter productive. You should say, at least, be seen and get in the system so if you ever do need to it won't be delayed with bureaucratic paperwork. This type of talk reminds me of First Sergeants that won't let you have the day off for your kids birthday even though there is nothing going on and you deploy next week. Way to help the service member.

Outstanding response, ktn. I salute you!
akeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 03:41 AM   #94

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by varoadbiker View Post
I was at the VA hospital in Richmond VA. Setting next to me were 2 vets who were talking about how to scam the VA out of more money. Shame full
Met a FL county Vet councillor (young guy) in a famcamp on vacation. Having a brew around the coach, he asks if Im PTSD rated ?.....NO just physical wounds.

He then gives me his business card and tells me to call him as he can "coach me" on how to take the VA PTSD interview.

Yes my friends there are scammers among us. And SC hearing loss, tinnitus and PTSD can be faked
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 03:51 AM   #95

Tiffin Owners Club
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhom View Post
Just trying to get some discount, they just tell me I have to have 50% or more of disability. Nothing is wrong with me . My DD 214 said I am a honorable discharge. Serve your country and get nothing from the VA. All I used was for a correspondent course on old tube tv repair.
What does that mean ?

Why do you feel your entitled to a discount for your military service
Old 10-05-2019, 07:59 AM   #96

Yes I was part of the all volunteer military. And I served with honor and pride. The sacrifices I made were less than some and more than others. My Mother used to tell of the many broken men (and women) who after returning from WWII suffered from shell-shock, memory loss, too many memories, (PTSD) and or loss of use of one or many body parts. The families starved because there were NO benefits. Many Mothers sent their children to my Grandmother’s home, she would lay quilts on the floor and feed them beans biscuits and milk (they had a cow which many did not). I wish there was recognition after WWII of the sacrifices so many made and I am grateful the VA is helping at least some. Our pay was lousy our food was lousy and I rarely slept over a few hours at a time. I had good times and bad times. I call it a love hate relationship. When I retired I was in a lot worse shape than just getting older. I fight for my benefits (not entitlements) I paid for them. And I fight for every Veterans’ benefits whether they take them or not. MEDICARE is a benefit as well. It is not an entitlement, I paid for that too. I understand your angst but please don’t throw too many rocks at those of us who gratefully accept our benefits and fight for the benefits (and good care) of all Veterans.
PalBacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 01:11 PM   #97

Thor Owners Club
Something that may help folks new to this whole VA business:

Think of VA Health Care and VA Disability as VERY distant cousins who rarely speak to each other and then only reluctantly.

You may sign up for and use only one or the other, or both or neither. The two are about as separate as they can be and still be under the VA name.

Example: You might move and have to change your mailing address. You let the nice folks at the VA hospital know you're moving and provide your new address, fill out the forms etc. You're done, right?

Not so much.

The nice folks at the VA disability department will have NO CLUE you've moved - (I learned this the hard way when a very important document from the VA was never delivered).

Disability and health care do in fact connect, but mostly on a policy level. Example, your VA rating places you on the various steps of the health care priority ladder.

Bottom line don't assume the one knows what the other is doing.

And don't assume that by informing one department, you've informed 'The VA'.
woodbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 03:45 PM   #98

Tiffin Owners Club
Lot of hot air here lately

https://www.va.gov/health-care/eligi...iority-groups/

Tags
campground, camping, military