RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Military / Veteran RVing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-05-2019, 04:09 PM   #99

Thor Owners Club
I should have said:

ONE of the factors that places you into a healthcare priority group is your VA rating.

I stand corrected.

woodbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2019, 08:56 PM   #100

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterwalkers View Post
Speaking of Vietnam Vets. I would like to share something I found very recently.

The bipartisan Blue Water Navy Vietnam Veterans Act was just signed in June 2019.

The new law affects Veterans who served on a vessel operating not more than 12 nautical miles seaward from the demarcation line of the waters of Vietnam and Cambodia, as defined in Public Law 116-23.

These Veterans may be eligible for presumption of herbicide exposure through Public Law 116-23, Blue Water Navy Vietnam Veterans Act of 2019, which was signed into law June 25, 2019, and goes into effect Jan. 1, 2020. They may also qualify for a presumption of service connection if they have a disease that is recognized as being associated with herbicide exposure.

Here's the Link to the VA notice:
https://www.va.gov/opa/pressrel/pres...se.cfm?id=5280

As a Disabled Vet myself, I'll also add that the local VSO is not always the best source of information. At least in my case it wasn't.

There are plenty of FREE blogs online hosted by other Veterans who just want to help you navigate the complex VA claim process and to highlight the benefits that are available to Veterans. If you chose to do so, there are also lawyers out there that can help you file your claim. No risk to you. They don't get paid unless your claim is successful.

There is no shame in receiving medical care thru the VA. Your not taking anything away from anyone else. You are prioritized based on your Disability rating. If your 100% disabled, you are their #1 priority. If you don't have a service connected disability, you are the lowest priority. You will still be able to get care, but it will take longer. Sometimes, a lot longer.

If you can afford private medical insurance, you will probably be happier receiving care from non VA providers though.

Here's another change happening in January 2020.
Beginning in January 2020, service-connected disabled veterans and their caregivers will be eligible to use base commissary stores and Morale, Welfare and Recreation facilities. In addition, veterans with a service-connected disability rated as total will soon be eligible to use space-available (Space-A) travel.

Here's the link to read it yourselves:
https://www.dav.org/learn-more/news/...bled-veterans/
Jayco
You may find these threads here of interest.
Last-ditch effort to pass Blue Water Navy bill fails in Senate

Eligibility to use Military Campgrounds

skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 10:54 PM   #101

Been told by many vet, you can get discounts if you file. Try different group and got turn down. Ask if I am disable. Once if itís no, nothing happen. Serve your country and get nothing unless youíre cripple.
Mhom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 11:47 PM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by skypilot_1 View Post
That link you shared was from December 2018. According to the Link I shared it was passed in June 2019. I also called VA and was told that they can't start processing Blue water claims until the 1st of January 2020. According to the agent on the phone, it's a done deal.

Please, feel free to call them and confirm. Maybe I got someone who had no clue.
waterwalkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 01:48 AM   #103

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I went in healthy and left ill. My ilnesses will eventually kill me. I did not get medically retired, but have since learned I should have been.

Branches since 9/11 have gone back and corrected the glaring under rating by the active military upon medical discharge. But will never fix those who were medically discharged pre 9/11 with ilnesses the VA rates as far more severe than the military - meaning the military didnt give out medical retirement pensions.

My issues are not visible. But I cant walk 100ft without oxygen or stopping for rest, or inhaler use - I would rather have lost an arm or leg.

I don’t like getting va benefits, but I have no choice as I have had no real opportunity to earn a living or build up a civilian retirement like some of those in this thread disparaging those of us that do seek out the benefits of a grateful society to her heroes.

So know this, I have service connected illnesses, met the documentation and eligibility requirements set forth by law, and am drawing compensation and medical care.

If you were a civilian who was injured on the job you would have been given a lump sum or even recurring benefits (ask 9/11 victim compensation fund recipients if you dont believe me).

How dare you lump all those who seek legit support with those scamming the system. I care less what anyone thinks of me for using these benefits. You wanna impress me? Give me my lungs back, get rid of the diabetes and heart disease I got from being UNABLE to exercise like those of you disparaging me, and give me back the 20+ years I need to build up a civilian career and retirement income.

In short, screw the nonsense spewing holier than thou attitudes of those more fortunate than me. You were able to achieve things those of us with life altering service could only dream of. Literally! I spent just shy of 8 years serving, was in Desert Storm and am paying for that service with every feckless breath. Got it? Good!
Old 10-06-2019, 08:13 AM   #104

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterwalkers View Post
That link you shared was from December 2018. According to the Link I shared it was passed in June 2019. I also called VA and was told that they can't start processing Blue water claims until the 1st of January 2020. According to the agent on the phone, it's a done deal.

Please, feel free to call them and confirm. Maybe I got someone who had no clue.
The tread covers the span of that time. Post #11 declares it passed. You have to read the posts rather then just the headings. In those 4 pgs of posts there are 10 links on topic.
Was only informing you that it was known here.
Now the VA claim filing process has to be worked out. As to which ships, locations, and dates are covered.
There actually is a couple other threads on topic as well here.
Thanks for your input as it is appreciated.
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 03:10 PM   #105

Newmar Owners Club
Jim, I don’t think anyone would take issue with you receiving whatever benefits you have coming to you.
Old 10-06-2019, 07:10 PM   #106

Thor Owners Club
So I'm in line for a hot dog at Costco today and strike up a conversation with a guy wearing an Enduring Freedom cap.

I ask if he's taking advantage of his VA benefits. Oh heck yes he says, I'm all over it.

So I ask, well do you have a rating?

He looks at me with the most blank stare you could ever imagine. What the heck are you talking about he says.

He'd never heard of such a thing.

This a guy very active in this Vets organization, Enduring Freedom. No clue, not one clue that this program exists.

This is why I started this thread. Thanks to the 7k folks who've viewed it and the hundred contributors.
Old 10-07-2019, 06:30 PM   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by skypilot_1 View Post
The tread covers the span of that time. Post #11 declares it passed. You have to read the posts rather then just the headings. In those 4 pgs of posts there are 10 links on topic.
Was only informing you that it was known here.
Now the VA claim filing process has to be worked out. As to which ships, locations, and dates are covered.
There actually is a couple other threads on topic as well here.
Thanks for your input as it is appreciated.
Sorry, I misunderstood your original post. To me, it came across as if you were saying it was never passed. I confess, I didn't read the entire link you posted. Just the headlines.

I've been doing a lot of research on the VA Disability side of things in the last year. Working on my own claim, a brother-in-laws claim, and my Aunts claim for DIC, and pension disability. It's just amazing how anal the VA can be! My Aunt got turned down the first time because she did not indicate the number of previous marriages, even though she had to list each and every one. Just stupid crap! That's why some people get lawyers, to make sure they dot their I's and cross there T's. The videos on VA Insider are very informative as well.
waterwalkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 09:51 AM   #108

Thor Owners Club
waterwalkers, if I may, I'd like to comment on dealing with the VA from my own perspective.

First, I appreciate your post in that you illustrate the level of scrutiny each VA claim receives. It's easy to just say to heck with it, like many applicants do, just because the process seems so convoluted.

I initially thought I could get the paperwork done on my own. Then I had an experience very similar to yours. I realized the degree to which I didn't know what I didn't know.

It helped me to visualize (fictionally) a person in Virginia or Ohio, a large office building, a sea of cubicles. This person has a checklist. They are looking at your file. They have to check every single box to use the 'approved' stamp. Miss a single box and you're denied.

Trouble is -- you have NO IDEA what's on their checklist.

That notion motivated me seek representation.

I didn't consider a lawyer although some would disagree.

Of the numerous VSO's (Veterans Service Organizations or Officiers) I found the DAV to the best, at least for me.

Others may favor other organizations, but I'll wager few, if any, rated Vets, would recommend going it on your own.
Old 10-12-2019, 08:45 PM   #109

So I have to go thru all this crap just to use a campground once in awhile. What a waste!!
Old 10-13-2019, 06:06 AM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by zb39 View Post
So I have to go thru all this crap just to use a campground once in awhile. What a waste!!
Other than commissary and exchange it will be up to the commander if anything else will be available and if available to family. Prices are usually better off installation than at the exchange.
Captn John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 10:00 AM   #111

Thor Owners Club
zb39 and Captn John, I agree totally with both of your comments.

If the whole purpose of this thread was to get access to the exchange or to campgrounds, no indeed - it would not be worth the hassle.

The primary purpose of the thread is to alert Vets to the VA programs they may not know about and for which they might qualify.

I just thought a catchy title might attract the attention of some Vets who might otherwise never hear about these programs.

Seems to be working.

Old 10-17-2019, 03:21 AM   #112

Woodbender, Could you email me please? I have some questions for you about VA benefits that I believe my daughter's bf is entitled to...(unless he's not telling the truth!) These days it's hard to trust or believe anyone! My email address is: calicoeye70@gmail.com.
I'd really appreciate hearing from you,
Tami Watland

Calicoeye70 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground, camping, military