RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Military / Veteran RVing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-21-2018, 03:02 PM   #1

Veterans and AARP Medicare complete Mosaicl Insurance

I have a few friends say I should change my medicare insurance over to aarp and others who say don't. I.ve read manuals, spoke to sales persons and can't make head or tails out of this.
Has anyone switched from VA care to aarp care and what are the results?
Thanks and happy thanksgiving to all.

easywind is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2018, 03:49 PM   #2

I would never give up my VA care.

HR2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 07:37 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
I would never use AARP for anything.
Cat320 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 11:45 PM   #4

Thank you guys, I had the same feeling, the sales person told me I could go back and forth between plans and I signed up seeing I had until December 31 to cancel. I received a book written by lawyers and only understood by lawyers that said the opposite of what the saleswomen said, I canceled and wanted some military input.
Thanks again and enjoy thanksgiving.
Old 11-22-2018, 10:06 AM   #5

Just because you subscribe to a AARP or other Medicare supplement insurance plan does not mean you give up your VA coverage. I have both and can use the VA system without restriction.
Old 11-22-2018, 10:37 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by justlou View Post
Just because you subscribe to a AARP or other Medicare supplement insurance plan does not mean you give up your VA coverage. I have both and can use the VA system without restriction.
Agree, one does not affect the other. Mostly use Medicare with AARP supplement, but the VA is great for long term prescriptions because of the low copay when they mail it to you.
Old 11-22-2018, 02:41 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My brother, you don't give up VA coverage just because you utilize Medicare, Supplement or Medicare Advantage. I use VA for long term scripts and eye glasses and Medicare and TriCare for everything else.

My brother on the other hand is not retired military, or a veteran but has a limited insurance program from his former employer and medicare but still purchased a Supplement policy to cover his donut hole. Works for him.

Look at what you need, what it covers, and what it costs you and determine if its a bargain. A lot depends on how much coverage you need and what you can afford to pay.

Best wishes - Richard
Old 11-23-2018, 03:44 PM   #8

Take a look at AMAC I've been a member for a few years. They are on the opposite side of the political spectrum than AARP.
Bill
Old 11-23-2018, 06:12 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have both, Medicare + United Healthcare supplement. I mostly use Medicare for DR visits but get my meds through VA. Insulin on Medicare is $75 a month, through VA is $8.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 08:10 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traildust View Post
Take a look at AMAC I've been a member for a few years. They are on the opposite side of the political spectrum than AARP.
Bill
Don't really care about politics when getting health care. Using VA and Medicare/AARP supplemental care is worth it to me, I would tell you about my politics, but not on this forum.
Old 11-23-2018, 11:36 PM   #11

I appreciate all the responses and maybe I'll learn how to use both. I am now on a pill that costs over $500 a month and am getting it for $9.00 at the VA, the thing I hate about the VA is travel time and waiting time. If I need to pay around $50 to save 3 hours time I'd happily do so.
I have been a bad bad sam member and have called them two times after putting 6 new tires on my rig and having them tell me "there's no one in the area. Anything associated with aarp does not sit well with me.
Old 11-24-2018, 08:03 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I use a local VA clinic, very little wait time. They even have a sign that you should let them know if your appointment is 20 minuted past due.

I don't think Good Sam And AARP have anything associated.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 08:10 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by easywind View Post
I appreciate all the responses and maybe I'll learn how to use both. I am now on a pill that costs over $500 a month and am getting it for $9.00 at the VA, the thing I hate about the VA is travel time and waiting time.
my VA mailed refill scrips to me, will yours not do that?

I am still registered with the VA, but recently became eligible for Medicare, so transitioned to that + United Health Supplements as my primary health care.

I am **thrilled** to return to private health care.
Radacravitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 09:25 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by easywind View Post
I appreciate all the responses and maybe I'll learn how to use both. I am now on a pill that costs over $500 a month and am getting it for $9.00 at the VA, the thing I hate about the VA is travel time and waiting time. If I need to pay around $50 to save 3 hours time I'd happily do so.
I have been a bad bad sam member and have called them two times after putting 6 new tires on my rig and having them tell me "there's no one in the area. Anything associated with aarp does not sit well with me.
The insurance is provided by United Healthcare and is a supplement to Medicare that uses joining AARP as a vehicle for getting a group rate reduction.
Other than having AARP on your insurance card, they have nothing to do with your medical insurance.
I have an online account [my healthnet] with the VA and communicate via email with my providers at the VA clinic and hospital., I can ask them to renew my scripts online and I get them by mail.

Tags
insurance